- This article is about the letter B. To see lists of usernames and bits of juicy speculation, you might want to go somewhere else.
|Egyptian hieroglyph house||Proto-Semitic house||Phoenician beth||Greek beta||Etruscan||Roman B|
By 1500 BC, the Phoenician alphabet's letter had a linear form that served as the basis for all later, which appeared in both the angular and more rounded forms. Its name must have corresponded closely to the Hebrew beth.
When the Ancient Greeks adopted the alphabet, they changed its name to beta and turned the letter upside-down and later added a second loop. In earlier Greek inscriptions, the letter faces to the left, but in the Greek alphabet of later times it faces to the right, although there continued to be variations between pointed and rounded loops.
The Etruscans brought the Greek alphabet to what is now Italy and left the letter unchanged. The Romans later adopted the Etruscan alphabet to write Latin, and the resulting letter, with rounded loops, has been preserved in the modern Latin alphabet used to write many languages, including English.
The modern lowercase letter b derives from later Roman times, when scribes began omitting the upper loop of the capital.
|Blackletter B||Uncial B|
|Modern Roman B||Modern Italic B||Modern Script B|
In English and most other languages that use the Latin alphabet, the letter b denotes the voiced bilabial plosive (IPA /b/), as in bib. In English it is sometimes "silent", as in debt or comb. In medial position in Spanish it denotes the voiced bilabial fricative (IPA /β/). In Estonian, Icelandic, and in Chinese transcription, B is not voiced, but is still contrasted to P, which is a geminate /pp/ in Estonian and an aspirate /ph/ in Chinese and Icelandic.
In the International Phonetic Alphabet and X-SAMPA, letter /b/ denotes the voiced bilabial plosive. Variants of the letter b denote related bilabial consonants, like the voiced bilabial implosive and the bilabial trill. In X-SAMPA, capital B denotes the voiced bilabial fricative.
Codes for computingEdit
|NATO phonetic||Morse code|
|Signal flag||Flag semaphore||Braille|
The EBCDIC code for capital B is 194 and for lowercase b is 130.
Meanings for BEdit
- As a prefix B indicates second rate (where A is first/top rate) e.g. B-movie, B-team.
- In astronomy,
- In aviation, B (followed by a -) is the ICAO prefix for civil aircraft registered in China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan.
- Brassiere cup size B.
- In chemistry, B is the symbol for the chemical element boron.
- In chess, B is a notation symbol (descriptive style) for the bishop piece.
- In the RGB color model, B stands for the color blue.
- In computer science and computing,
- b is an alternate symbol for bit (IEEE 1541; IEC 60027 recommends "bit" instead).
- B is the usual symbol for byte (IEEE 1541 and IEC 60027). It is a fairly common error to use a lowercase b instead.
- B is the name of the B programming language and the B-Method, a leading formal method.
</B>are the HTML tags for marking the start and end of boldface type.
- can be used to indicate a Boolean type, especially in formal specifications.
- B is a security division ("Mandatory Protection") in the TCSEC.
- A b-tree is a binary tree, a type of indexed data structure.
- In the diaries of Edwina Currie, B was the code name for John Major with whom the author was having an affair.
- In education, B is a "good" grade, one below the top grade of A.
- In electrical engineering,
- In English slang, B is a euphemism for bastard or bitch.
- In film, the term "B," as in B-movie, referred to the less noteworthy film in a double feature and currently refers to any low quality, low profile film.
- In finance, B is the New York Stock Exchange ticker symbol for Barnes Group Inc..
- In international licence plate codes, B stands for Belgium.
- In international paper sizes, B is a series of sizes with sides of even fractions of a metre. The B series is a scaled version of the A series.
- In mathematics,
- In medicine, B (also, B+ or B-) is one of the human blood types.
- In metrology,
- In music,
- In the North American National Hockey League, the Boston Bruins are sometimes referred to as the "Bs" because of the letter B on the front of their jerseys.
- In nutrition, B refers to a group of vitamins.
- In photography, B is a shutter speed.
- In physics,
- As the first letter of a postal code,
- In radiocommunication, B is the ITU prefix allocated to China.
- In rail transport, B is the UIC classification for the locomotive wheel arrangement known as 0-4-0 in the Whyte notation; a locomotive with two powered axles (and thus four wheels) in which the axles are linked by gearing or side rods.
- On the serial numbers of United States dollars, B identifies the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- B is the letter that was the beginning of The Clock Crew, due to it being featured in a movie by StrawberryClock on Newgrounds
- /b/ is the random board on several imageboards, such as 4chan, 2chan, iichan, and 420chan.
- B is also seen as the unlucky letter of alphabet, as it looks like an scratched together thirteen.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to B.|