We Didn't Start The FireEdit
|Non-free use rationale
- It is a use of the lyrics of a Billy Joel song (and identified as such) to promote the contribution of content on more core history rather than esoteric articles on wikipedia.
- Joel himself has discussed the song in terms of promoting the learning of modern history, and that history is happening all around us.
- Most words are transformed into a meaning more than themselves and the literal one by their conversion to a blue wikilink, and hence act as a conduit to the articles themselves in the hope that editors will improve them to Good or Featured status. Thus it is not just a regurgitation or blatant copy of lyrics.
- There is a satirical element combining (a) vital articles, (b) wiki culture, especially award giving, and (c) Joel's lyrics, and satire are well established non-free use doctrines; see fair dealing and limitations and exceptions to copyright.
- This use is beneficial to the project by being educational.
- The use is for a non-commercial purpose.
- It is being used as a sidebar to User:Casliber, and such usages are common in userspace.
- It does not interfere with the author's ability to make a profit on her work.
- As an excerpt of a copyrighted work, no free version is available.
Ladies and gentlemen, the Flaming Joel-wiki celebrates events in our collective consciousness as highlighted by the Übermuse Billy Joel
in his great song We Didn't Start the Fire
This award, with a nice pic modified by Debivort is awarded to anyone instrumental in getting any of the below articles linked to FA status. Billy Joel is clearly a more important judge of vital articles than any ol' vital article list. Note that some flexibility and imagination may allow me to give it to similar articles if we can find a good reason to do so :)
Those prescient enough to develop one which is already an FA (articles noted below), will gain a shiny wiki very soon. Let me know what y'all think and we're off and running... Be bold to modify this or talk on talk page. Come up with ideas for other FAs etc. Note that some words link to two or more articles.
PS: Getting either the songwriter or song to FA status is worth a Flaming Joel-wiki too....
PPS: Feel free to place one on the page of any contributor who worked to get any of the articles already FA below or I'll get onto it tomorrow.
Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray
South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggio
Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, television
North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe
Rosenbergs, H-Bomb, Sugar Ray, Panmunjeom
Brando, The King and I, and The Catcher in the Rye
Eisenhower, vaccine, England's got a new queen
Marciano, Liberace, Santayana goodbye
CHORUS - take yer pick there...
We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
Since the world's been turning
We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it
Joseph Stalin, Malenkov, Nasser and Prokofiev
Rockefeller, Campanella, Communist Bloc
Roy Cohn, Juan Perón, Toscanini, dacron
Dien Bien Phu Falls, "Rock Around the Clock"
Einstein, James Dean, Brooklyn's got a winning team
Davy Crockett, Peter Pan, Elvis Presley, Disneyland
Bar-dot, Buda-pest, Ala-bama, Khrush-chev
Princess Grace, Peyton Place, trouble in the Suez
Lit-tle Rock, Paster-nak, Mickey Mantle, Kerou-ac
Sput-nik, Zhou Enlai, Bridge on the River Kwai
Leba-non, Charles de Gaulle, California baseball
Charles Starkweather homicide, children of thalidomide
Buddy Holly, "Ben-Hur", space monkey, Mafia
hula hoops, Castro, Edsel is a no go
U-2, Syngman Rhee, payola and Kennedy
Chubby Checker, "Psycho", Belgians in the Congo
Hemingway, Eichmann, "Stranger in a Strange Land"
Dylan, Ber-lin, Bay of Pigs Invasion
"Lawrence of Arabia", British Beatlemania
Ole Miss, John Glenn, Liston beats Patterson
Pope Paul, Malcolm X, British politician sex
JFK, blown away, what else do I have(FFA) to say
Birth control, Ho Chi Minh, Richard Nixon, back again
Moonshot, Woodstock, Watergate, punk rock
Begin, Reagan, Palestine, Terror on the airline
Ayatollolah's in Iran, Russians in Afghanistan
"Wheel of Fortune" , Sally Ride, heavy metal suicide
Foreign debts, homeless vets, AIDS, Crack, Bernie Goetz
Hypodermics on the shores, China's under martial law
Rock and Roller Cola wars, I can't take it anymore