University Grants Commission (Bangladesh)
The University Grants Commission (UGC) (Bengali: বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় মঞ্জুরী কমিশন Biśbobidyālaẏ mañjurī komiśan) of Bangladesh was established on 16 December 1972. It was created according to the Presidential Order (P.O. No 10 of 1973) of the Government of People's Republic of Bangladesh. In 2010, the Government of Bangladesh (GOB) announced bringing out reforms in University Grants Commission (UGC) and decided to change UGC into Higher Education Commission of Bangladesh (HEC).
|Bengali: বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় মঞ্জুরী কমিশন|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Bangladesh|
|Parent department||Ministry of Education|
The UGC is the apex body of all the affiliated public, private and international universities of Bangladesh. It provides fund for "Government Funded Universities" of Bangladesh. Its mission is to ensure the quality of higher education throughout the country. Private universities must obtain permission from UGC before they operate. UGC was designed to maintain the autonomous nature of the universities. The underlying principle is that the Government should not deal directly with the universities, either individually or collectively; instead, it should deal with the UGC, which, in turn, deals directly with the universities. UGC offers scholarships to outstanding students, funds research, and organizes seminars.
BUGC consists of the following members:
- Chairman: Yusuf Ali Mollah
- Full-time members: 5
- Part-time members: 6
- Vice-Chancellors: 2 (by rotation)
- Professors of Universities: 3 (from the universities Vice-Chancellors of which are not members)
- Government nominees: 3 (Secretary, Minister of education, a member of the Planning Commission)
- Representative of the Ministry of Finance: 1 (not below the rank of a secretary)
- Administrative Division
- Planning and Development Division
- Information Management, Communication and Training Division
- Finance and Accounts Division
- Private Universities Division
- Public Universities Division
- Research and Publication Division
- Strategic Planning, Quality Assurance and Right to Information Division
Institute of Scientific Instrumentation (ISI) is a subsidiary organ of the University Grants Commission of Bangladesh.
- "Prof Kazi Shahidullah new UGC chairman". The Daily Star. 2019-05-22. Retrieved 2019-05-23.
- Bala, Swapan Kumar (2012). "University Grants Commission". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. (eds.). Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2017-03-08. Retrieved 2017-03-08. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|dead-url=(help)CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)