University of Chittagong
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
University of Chittagong (Bengali: চট্টগ্রাম বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) is a public research university with multidisciplinary faculties situated across a 2110-acre hilly landmass in Fatehpur Union of Hathazari Upazila, 22 kilometres north of Chittagong city of Bangladesh. This university has the largest campus among Bangladeshi universities. The academic activities of the university formally began on 18 November 1966. It has about 24,000 students and more than 1000 faculty members.
|Established||18 November 1966|
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh Abdul Hamid|
|311 (Male 277, Female 34)|
(Male 15,598, Female 9,179)
|Campus||Rural, 2,110 acres (8.5 km2)|
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission|
Association of Commonwealth Universities
|University of Chittagong at a glance|
|Location||Fatehpur Union, Hathazari Upazila, Chittagong District, Bangladesh |
22 kilometre from Chittagong city
|Area||2110-acre (8.5 km2)|
|Undergrad||BA, MA, BEd, BSc, MSc, MS, BBA, MBA, LLB, LLM, MEd, BSS, MSS, M.B.B.S. B.U.M.S, BPE, MPE|
|Postgrad||M.Phil., PhD, M.D., M.P.H|
|Types||Male:8, Female:4, Coed:1|
|Other Staff||Officer:430, 3rd Class Staff:620, 4th Class Staff:1440|
On June 3, 2019, the Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of Bangladesh appointed Dr. Shirin Akhter as the 18th VC of the university. Her official appointment as VC was confirmed on November 4, 2019 by the President, as well as the chancellor of CU, Mohammad Abdul Hamid. She is the first female VC in the history of University of Chittagong. She was born at Eid Gao in Cox's Bazar on May 1, 1956. She completed her S.S.C from Cox'sbazar Government Girls School in 1973 and H.S.C from Chittagong Government Women's College in 1975. She completed her B.A and M.A on Bengali Language and Literature from the University of Chittagong in 1978 and 1981 respectively. Prof. Shirin Akhter joined the university as a lecturer of Bangla Department in 1996 after completing her PhD from Jadavpur University in India. She has also acted as the Pro-VC of the University from March 28, 2016 to November 4, 2019.
List of vice-chancellorsEdit
Following is the complete list of the vice-chancellors.
- A R Mallick (01.10.1966 to 31 January 1972)
- U. N. Siddiqui (Acting V.C.) (21 April 1971 to 30 January 1972)
- M Innas Ali (01.02.1972 to 18 April 1973)
- Abul Fazal (19 April 1973 to 27 November 1975)
- Abdul Karim (28 November 1975 to 18 April 1981)
- M. A. Aziz Khan (19 April 1981 to 18 April 1985)
- Mohammad Ali (19 April 1985 to 22 May 1988)
- Alamgir Muhammad Serajuddin (23 May 1988 to 29 December 1991)
- Rafiqul Islam Chowdhury (30 December 1991 to 6 November 1996)
- Abdul Mannan (06.11.1996 to 13 February 2001)
- Md. Fazle Hossain (14 February 2001 to 2 February 2002)
- A. J. M. Nuruddin Chowdhury (2 February 2002 to 2 February 2006)
- Badiul Alam (8 February 2006 to 24 February 2009)
- Abu Yousuf (25 February 2009 to 28 November 2010)
- Md. Alauddin (Acting V.C.) (09.12.2010 to 14 June 2011)
- Anwarul Azim Arif (15 June 2011 to 14 June 2015)
- Iftekhar Uddin Chowdhury (15 June 2015 to 12 June 2019)
- Shireen Akhter (13 June 2019 to present)
Faculty of Arts and Humanities :
- Department of English
- Department of Bangla
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Bangladesh Studies
- Department of History
- Department of Dramatics
- Department of Sanskrit
- Department of Arabic
- Department of Islamic History and Culture
- Department of Islamic Studies
- Department of Pali
- Department of Persian Language & Literature
- Department of Music
Faculty of Biological Sciences :
- Department of Soil Science
- Department of Botany
- Department of Zoology
- Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
- Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Department of Pharmacy
- Department of Geography and Environmental Studies
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Microbiology
Faculty of Science:
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Applied Chemistry & Chemical Engineering
Faculty of Marine Science and Fisheries :
- Department of Oceanography
- Department of Fisheries
Faculty of Engineering :
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Faculty of Social Sciences :
- Department of International Relations
- Department of Public Administration
- Department of Economics
- Department of Communication and Journalism
- Department of Criminology and Police Science
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Development Studies
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Anthropology
Faculty of Law :
- Department of Law
Faculty of Business Administration :
- Department of Accounting
- Department of Management
- Department of Finance
- Department of Marketing
- Department of Human Resource Management
- Department of Banking and Insurance
Faculty of Education :
- Department of Physical Education and Sports Science
The Chittagong University Library is situated on the university campus, and since 1990, has been housed in its own building of 56,700 square feet. The library is managed by a 14-member Library Committee. The library collection consists of about 350,000 books and over 40,000 bound journals.
Chittagong University MuseumEdit
The Chittagong University Museum was established on 14 June 1973. The museum started with a collection of artifacts from the History Department. It collected fossils from Nasirabad hills. The museum build up a collection of historical artifacts and painting.
University Shuttle TrainEdit
The University Shuttle Train is a unique quality of this University. This train operated by Bangladesh Railway eastern division and monitored by university authority. Everyday thousands of students come for classes and return to their home through this train. As per the new schedule, CU-bound trains will leave Chittagong Railway Station at 7:30am, 8:00am, 3:50pm, 5:30pm, and 8:30pm while they will leave from Sholoshohor station at 9:45am and 10:30am. Besides, city-bound trains will leave CU Railway Station at 8:45am, 9:20am, 2:30pm, 3:30pm, 5:00pm, 6:00pm and 9.30pm.
Monuments and sculpturesEdit
- Jamal Nazrul Islam, theoretical physicist and mathematician. Ex-Professor, Mathematics Department. Ex-Professor Emeritus and founding Director of Jamal Nazrul Islam Research Center for Mathematics and Physical Sciences (JNIRCMPS).
- Muhammad Yunus, founder of Grameen Bank, 2006 winner of Nobel Prize in peace. Former professor of Economics ; initiated a microcredit program in the adjacent area of Jobra, Hathazari, Chittagong.
- Abdul Mannan, Chairman, University Grants Commission of Bangladesh. Ex-Professor, Management Department.
- A F M Khalid Hossain, Islamic Scholar
- Shireen Akhter
- Mohammad Shafiul Alam
- Mohit Ul Alam
- Tahura Ali
- Partha Barua
- Papri Basu
- M Musharraf Hossain Bhuiyan
- Wadud Bhuiyan
- Gouri Choudhury
- Iftekhar Uddin Chowdhury
- Mahmudul Islam Chowdhury
- Moyukh Chowdhury
- Nurul Alam Chowdhury
- Rezaul Karim Chowdhury
- Annisul Huq
- Fazle Kabir
- A F M Khalid Hossain
- Hafiz Rashid Khan
- Hasan Mahmud (politician)
- Rashed Rouf
- Surendra Kumar Sinha
- AFM Solaiman Chowdhury
- Monsur Ul Karim
- "DU VC reappointed; CU, BU get new VC". The Daily Star. 3 November 2019. Retrieved 4 November 2019.
- "University of Chittagong at a Glance". cu.ac.bd. University of Chittagong. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "University of Chittagong". Banglapedia. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- Fayezul Azim (January 2003). "University of Chittagong". In Sirajul Islam; Amirul Islam Chowdhury (online) (eds.). Banglapedia (Online). Bangladesh: Asiatic Society of Bangladesh. ISBN 984-32-0576-6. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- Administrator. "List of Vice-Chancellor and Pro-Vice-Chancellor". Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Vice-Chancellors". University of Chittagong. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- Administrator. "About Central Library". Archived from the original on 3 July 2015. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- Hossain, Shamsul. "Chittagong University Museum". en.banglapedia.org. Banglapedia. Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- "Treasures of Chittagong University Museum". The Daily Star. 17 July 2016. Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- Administrator. "Transportation". Archived from the original on 3 July 2015. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- সাফাত জামিল শুভ (9 October 2015). চট্টগ্রাম বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় প্রাকৃতিক সৌন্দর্যের লীলাভূমি (in Bengali). ournewsbd. Archived from the original on 13 March 2016. Retrieved 13 November 2015.
- "PriyoShop.com – Online shopping in Bangladesh". Retrieved 16 June 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to চট্টগ্রাম বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়.|