University of Chittagong
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
University of Chittagong (Bengali: চট্টগ্রাম বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) is a public research university with multidisciplinary faculties situated across a 2110-acre hilly landmass in Fatehpur Union of Hathazari Upazila, 22 kilometres north of Chittagong city of Bangladesh. This university has the largest campus among Bangladeshi universities. The academic activities of the university formally began on 18 November 1966. It has about 24,000 students and more than 1000 faculty members.
Seal of the University of Chittagong
|Type||Public university, Coeducational|
|Established||18 November 1966|
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh Abdul Hamid|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Dr. Shirin Akhter|
|311 (Male 277, Female 34)|
(Male 15,598, Female 8,685)
|Campus||Rural, 2,110 acres (8.5 km2)|
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission|
Association of Commonwealth Universities
|University of Chittagong at a glance|
|Location||Fatehpur Union, Hathazari Upazila, Chittagong District, Bangladesh |
22 kilometre from Chittagong city
|Area||2110-acre (8.5 km2)|
|Undergrad||BA, MA, BEd, BSc, MSc, MS, BBA, MBA, LLB, LLM, MEd, BSS, MSS, M.B.B.S. B.U.M.S|
|Postgrad||M.Phil., PhD, M.D., M.P.H|
|Types||Male:8, Female:4, Coed:1|
|Other Staff||Officer:430, 3rd Class Staff:620, 4th Class Staff:1440|
- 1 Location
- 2 History
- 3 Current Vice-Chancellor
- 4 Some Facts & Figures
- 5 List of Vice-Chancellors
- 6 Academic Departments
- 7 Facilities
- 8 Campus
- 9 Notable people
- 10 Gallery
- 11 See also
- 12 References
- 13 External links
From the beginning of the 20th century the enlightened section of local people was pressing to set up a university in Chittagong. Necessary grants for the construction of Chittagong University were allocated on 9 March 1964 in the meeting of National Economic Council.
Professor of History, University of Rajshahi and Ex-Curator of Varendra Research Museum Dr Azizur Rahman Mallick was made the Project Director of Chittagong University on 3 December 1965. He set up the project office of the university at a building 'Kahkashan' on road no 3, Nasirabad Housing Society, Chittagong. All the officers and staffs of the university wing, Department of Education were transferred to the Chittagong University Project office through a gazette notification issued on 14 December 1965. A master plan of the university was prepared through 'Bastukala', an organisation led by Architect Mazharul Islam. Initially a two-storeyed administrative building, departmental offices, classrooms and a library building were built. Student hostels and a teachers' dormitory were also constructed in the first phase.
Dr. Azizur Rahman Mallick was appointed as the first Vice Chancellor of Chittagong University through the Chittagong University Ordinance promulgated on 25 September 1966. The classes of M A (preliminary) of Bangla, English, History and Economics departments under the Faculty of Arts began first from 18 November 1966 with only 200 students and seven teachers. Dr. Abdul Karim joined as the Reader and head of the Department of History while Mohammad Ali and Dr. Shafiul Alam were appointed as Reader and Head of the Departments of English and Economics respectively. Abul Kalam Manzor Morshed joined as a Senior Lecturer in Bangla. Professor Syed Ali Ahsan was the first full professor of Chittagong University.
Dr. Iftekhar told , “Our main target is to explore the modern education and research, ensuring information and technology-based study and according to the light of digital thinking of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina”. “University is a family. So, we need cooperation of all the members to run the institution fairly”, he added.
Earlier on June 2, 2015 President of the country M Abdul Hamid, also chancellor of the CU, had appointed Dr. Iftekhar Uddin as the 17th VC of the university. He thanked President Abdul Hamid, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid. Born on July 1, 1955, at North Kattoli of the port city, Dr. Iftekhar achieved PhD in Sociology from University of Tsukuba in Japan in March 1988. The new VC completed his masters and bachelor degrees from Sociology Department in Chittagong University in 1981 and 1976 respectively.
He also got Bachelor of Law (LL.B.) from the same university in 1978. Dr. Shirin Akhter was a pro-VC from May 30, 2013 to June, 2015. He served as the chairman of Sociology Department, president of Chittagong University Teachers’ Association (CUTA), and a secretary general of Bangladesh University Teachers’ Federation.
Some Facts & FiguresEdit
Different faculties of Chittagong University conduct course work and examinations on behalf of several other bodies like Bangladesh Military Academy, (Bhatiari), Bangladesh Marine Academy (Patenga), Bangladesh College of Forestry (Sholoshahar), Chittagong College of Fine Arts and Bangladesh Navel Academy (Patenga). The University of Chittagong awards honours, post-graduation, MBBS, DVM degrees and diploma beside higher degrees like MPhil, PhD, MD and MPH.
The teachers, students, officials and staff of Chittagong University had played a significant role during the war of liberation in 1971. A council of the University was constituted to intensify the struggle for liberation in a meeting held on 8 March 1971 with Vice Chancellor Dr AR Mallick in the chair. One teacher, eleven students and three staff members of the university embraced martyrdom in the war of liberation. Mohammad Hossain, an employee of the Engineering department of Chittagong University was honored with the gallantry award of 'Bir Protik' for his heroic role in the war of liberation.
Chittagong University regularly publishes some journals and research periodicals. These include the Chittagong University Studies a research publication centrally published by the university; Pandulipi published by the Department of Bangla and Eco by the Department of Economics. The central library of the university has over 300 thousand books, 3500 journals and Internet facilities. The Chittagog University Museum set up beside the library has been playing a leading role in preserving the archaeological objects discovered in this region.
Students of the University regularly participate in various creative activities, cultural competition, sports, debate competition, bncc and Rover Scouts program beside the academic activities. In 2010, Chittagong University had nine residential halls for the students, one hostel and residential quarters for teachers and staffs. It had 18,781 students, 648 teachers and 1947 supporting staffs and officers.
The first convocation of Chittagong University was held in 1994. Earlier in 1981, a special convocation was held to award an honorary DSc degree to Nobel Lauriat physicist and world famous scientist Abdus Salam. A special professor's chair has been created in Chittagong University after the name of national poet kazi nazrul islam. [Fayezul Azim]
On 18 November 2016, Chittagong University celebrates its golden jubilee on the occasion of its fifty years anniversary.
List of Vice-ChancellorsEdit
Following is the complete list of the Vice-chancellors.
- A R Mallick (01.10.1966 to 31 January 1972)
- U. N. Siddiqui (Acting V.C.) (21 April 1971 to 30 January 1972)
- M Innas Ali (01.02.1972 to 18 April 1973)
- Abul Fazal (19 April 1973 to 27 November 1975)
- Abdul Karim (28 November 1975 to 18 April 1981)
- M. A. Aziz Khan (19 April 1981 to 18 April 1985)
- Mohammad Ali (19 April 1985 to 22 May 1988)
- Alamgir Muhammad Serajuddin (23 May 1988 to 29 December 1991)
- Rafiqul Islam Chowdhury (30 December 1991 to 6 November 1996)
- Abdul Mannan (06.11.1996 to 13 February 2001)
- Md. Fazle Hossain (14 February 2001 to 2 February 2002)
- A. J. M. Nuruddin Chowdhury (2 February 2002 to 2 February 2006)
- Badiul Alam (8 February 2006 to 24 February 2009)
- Abu Yousuf (25 February 2009 to 28 November 2010)
- Md. Alauddin (Acting V.C.) (09.12.2010 to 14 June 2011)
- Anwarul Azim Arif (15 June 2011 to 14 June 2015)
- Dr. Shirin Akhter (13 June 2019 to present)
Faculty of Arts and Humanities :
1) Department of English
2) Department of Bangladesh Studies
3) Department of Bangla
4) Department of Dramatics
5) Department of Sanskrit
6) Department of Arabic
7) Department of Islamic History and Culture
8) Department of Islamic Studies
9) Department of History
10) Department of Philosophy
11) Department of Pali
12) Department of Persian Language & Literature
13) Department of Music
Faculty of Biological Sciences :
1) Department of Botany
2) Department of Zoology
3) Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
4) Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
5) Department of Pharmacy
6) Department of Geography and Environmental Studies
7) Department of Psychology
8) Department of Microbiology
9) Department of Soil Science
Faculty of Science:
1) Department of Physics
2) Department of Chemistry
3) Department of Mathematics
4) Department of Statistics
5) Department of Applied Chemistry & Chemical Engineering
Faculty of Marine Science and Fisheries :
1) Department of Oceanography
2) Department of Fisheries
Faculty of Engineering :
1) Department of Computer Science and Engineering
2) Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Faculty of Social Sciences :
1) Department of Public Administration
2) Department of Political Science
3) Department of Economics
4) Department of Sociology
5) Department of Development Studies
6) Department of Communication and Journalism
7) Department of International Relations
8) Department of Criminology and Police Science
9) Department of Anthropology
Faculty of Law :
1) Department of Law
Faculty of Business Administration :
1) Department of Accounting
2) Department of Finance
3) Department of Banking and Insurance
4) Department of Management
5) Department of Marketing
6) Department of Human Resource Management
7) Chittagong University Center for Business Administration
Faculty of Education :
1) Department of Physical Education and Sports Science
- Institute of Marine Sciences
- Institute of Forestry and Environmental Sciences
- Institute of Fine Arts
- Institute of Modern Languages
- Social Science Research Institute
- Institute of Education And Research
- Bureau of Business Research
- Center for Asian Studies
The Chittagong University Library is situated on the university campus, and since 1990, has been housed in its own building of 56,700 square feet. The library is managed by a 14-member Library Committee. The library collection consists of about 350,000 books and over 40,000 bound journals.
Chittagong University MuseumEdit
The Chittagong University Museum was established on 14 June 1973. The museum started with a collection of artifacts from the History Department. It collected fossils from Nasirabad hills. The museum build up a collection of historical artifacts and painting.
Monuments and sculpturesEdit
- Jamal Nazrul Islam, theoretical physicist and mathematician. Ex-Professor, Mathematics Department. Ex-Professor Emeritus and founding Director of Research Center for Mathematics and Physical Sciences (RCMPS).
- Muhammad Yunus, founder of Grameen Bank, 2006 winner of Nobel Prize in peace. Former professor of Economics Department; initiated a microcredit program in the adjacent area of Jobra.
- Abdul Mannan, Chairman, University Grants Commission of Bangladesh. Ex-Professor, Management Department.
- "University of Chittagong at a Glance". cu.ac.bd. University of Chittagong. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "University of Chittagong - Banglapedia". en.banglapedia.org. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- Fayezul Azim (January 2003). "University of Chittagong". In Sirajul Islam; Amirul Islam Chowdhury (online) (eds.). Banglapedia (Online). Bangladesh: Asiatic Society of Bangladesh. ISBN 984-32-0576-6. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- http://www.banglanews24.com. "CU VC Dr Iftekhar takes charge". www.banglanews24.com. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- মামুনুর রশিদ, গণিত বিভাগ, চবি (18 November 2016). "আলোকিত পঞ্চাশ বছর" (in Bengali). protidinersangbad.com. Retrieved 4 January 2019.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Vice-Chancellors". University of Chittagong. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- Administrator. "About Central Library". Archived from the original on 3 July 2015. Retrieved 16 June 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Hossain, Shamsul. "Chittagong University Museum". en.banglapedia.org. Banglapedia. Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- "Treasures of Chittagong University Museum". The Daily Star. 17 July 2016. Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- সাফাত জামিল শুভ (9 October 2015). "চট্টগ্রাম বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় প্রাকৃতিক সৌন্দর্যের লীলাভূমি" (in Bengali). ournewsbd. Archived from the original on 31 January 2017. Retrieved 13 November 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "PriyoShop.com – Online shopping in Bangladesh". Retrieved 16 June 2015.