Bangladesh University of Textiles
Bangladesh University of Textiles, commonly referred to as BUTEX (Bengali: বুটেক্স), is an engineering based specialized university in Bangladesh. It is a non-profit public higher-education institution located in the urban setting of the large metropolis of Dhaka. The institution emphasizes on technological education in textile while keeps entrepreneurial industrialization as its primary subject of interest.
বাংলাদেশ টেক্সটাইল বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়
|Motto||Knowledge Is Power|
|Established||22 December, 2010|
|Endowment||৳190 million (per year)|
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Engr. Md. Abul Kashem|
92, Shaheed Tajuddin Ahmed Avenue, Tejgaon Industrial Area,
|Campus||Urban, 11.67 acres (4.72 ha)|
|Accreditation||BAB, IEB, ITET, UGC|
|Sports||Football, Cricket, Athletics|
It has seven affiliated colleges, each of which is textile based institutes of technology. The colleges are centrally regulated by the university while funding is provisioned under a bilateral MoU signed between Ministry of Education, Bangladesh and Department of Textiles, Bangladesh.
The university itself offers academic and professional degrees in various fields of textile technology, fashion designing, advanced business and marketing strategies and in several other disciplines on both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. As of November 2018,[update] it offers graduate program in 10 different specialized areas under its five distinct faculties.
The institution was originally established in 1921 as a weaving school at Narinda, Dhaka, during the British colonial rule, to provide specialized technical education in the fields of textile by offering artisan-level courses. It used to go by the name "British Weaving School". A while later, it took the name "East Bengal Textile Institute" only to offer diploma courses in textile manufacturing process. In 1950, it was once again renamed as "East Pakistan Textile Institute". The institute was transferred to its present campus at Tejgaon Industrial Area in Dhaka in 1960.
In the post-liberation era of Bangladesh, in 1978, the institute launched a four-year period bachelor's degree program in textile technology in affiliation with University of Dhaka and re-branded itself as "College of Textile Engineering and Technology". Initially, intake was only 60 per year and more than 4,800 textile engineers and technologists have graduated from this institution since the introduction of bachelor's degree course.
The evolved College of Textile Engineering and Technology proved to be an economically important institute under the administrative control of the Bangladesh education ministry through Directorate of Technical Education which offered Bachelor of Science in textile technology and in textile management courses as a constituent college of the University of Dhaka. Considering the importance of textile education and research and with an objective of equipping its textile industry with qualified manpower sound in updated technical knowledge, expertise and essential skills in building the appropriate backward linkages at the shortest possible time to face the challenges of quota-free post-MFA period, the Government of Bangladesh took initiatives to upgrade the College of Textile Engineering and Technology into a full-fledged university. After receiving a formal consent from the President of Bangladesh to fulfill that purpose, the "Bangladesh Textile University Act, 2010" (Act no. 49, 2010) was passed by the Bangladesh national assembly on 5 October 2010. The act was made effective from 22 December, 2010 as per SRO No. 395-law/2010 date 20 December 2010 of the Ministry of Education, Bangladesh. The Prime Minister of Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina, officially inaugurated the revamped institution with its present naming scheme BUTEX on 15 March, 2011.
Ten degree granting accredited departments of the institution, and the faculties they are run by, are listed following an alphabetic order below:
- Faculty of Fashion Design and Apparel Engineering:
- Faculty of Science and Engineering:
- Faculty of Textile Chemical Engineering:
- Faculty of Textile Management and Business Studies:
- Faculty of Textile Production Technology:
Bangladesh Handloom Education and Training InstituteEdit
Bangladesh Handloom Education and Training Institute, is a technical training institute controlled by Bangladesh Handloom Board and maintained by Ministry of Textiles and Jute, under the academic supervision of BUTEX.
Several student run organizations or clubs in the institution allow its members and participants to engage in co-curricular and extra-curricular activities. The university administration permits their formation, provides them with necessary funding and associates a selected portion of them with faculty guidance. Some of the clubs are branches of large organizations expanding their countrywide and sometimes, global network, among youths. Names of each of the student organizations and clubs are listed following an alphabetic order below:
- ARTEX – Born after an initiative taken by the students to beautify their campus, this club focuses on practicing several form of arts and occasionally hosts events where students participate in doing campus-wide graffiti alongside various other arts based competitions.
- Badhon – The BUTEX unit of this Bangladeshi voluntary organization runs its operation to encourage students in donating blood and makes arrangements in times of critical emergency necessity. They also hosts annual events where students coming from disadvantaged families get a chance to test their blood and know their groups for free.
- Bauliana – Run by students who are enthusiastic to the spiritual explorations of Lalon, this club offers a platform to socialize within the campus for the like-minded students.
- BUTEX Business Club – Created with a business theme ingrained in it, members of this club host business-case solving events, and arrange seminars involving pioneering industry leaders and prominent innovators from corporate world. The club also houses academic decathlons and provides ways for students to participate in internationally recognized competitions by inviting and introducing the organizers to the campus. It is among the few clubs on campus to receive a faculty member appointed in their governing body as their advisor of operations.
- BUTEX Debating Club – Playing its role of providing an engaging platform to its members, this club, under its flagship name Bunon, often gets to represent the institution nationally and internationally in various fields of artistic speech giving and debates. As of October 2020[update], it is the most successful student organization of BUTEX in its entire history, to grab most wins in numerous championships, upholding the flag of their institution.
- BUTEXITS – Students in schools have been developing apps during their study years independently. To achieve institutional acknowledgements, and as a response to the growing dependence on information technology in this digital age when the fourth industrial revolution is knocking on the door, BUTEX IT Society is formed. This is, as of October 2020[update], the newest inclusion to join the club family.
- BUTEXPS – A club formed by students with a keen interest in all things photography.
- BUTEX Career Club – Suggestive of its name, this club organizes events to aid young learners in clearing confusion about their future career path. They arrange workshops and job fairs.
- Chemical Club – Created by the faculty of Textile Chemicals Engineering, this club works with students who show interest in the field of chemistry and aspire to lead the future chemical industry. They host workshops and is guided by a faculty in their operations.
- Ekattor – The cultural club of BUTEX, it includes a cultural unit, a theater unit, and a photographic society unit. It started its journey on 26 March 2011, in an honor to a freedom fighter of the Bangladesh Liberation War.
- BUTEX Environmental Club – A socially active club, which works to raise consciousness about the surrounding, and to lessen all forms of pollution, with trying to find out effective solutions for better industrial waste management.
- ExCa BUTEX – It is a club dedicated for the students who come from a cadet background.
- Fashionnovation – A club centered around creative ideas of fashion. They arrange design competitions and launch assistive courses online.
- Film Society – This club engages in making indie films and supports film-making talents inside the campus by promoting their efforts. Often, they produce short-films and arrange campus-wide watch parties.
- BUTEX Gamers' Maze – Following the ever-growing surge in growth and what the biggest industry of the planet has to offer, this club arranges fests and campus wide gaming competitions.
- Journalist Society – Driven by passion towards journalism, this club is run by a select number of energetic students and operates within the campus boundary. It stays solely focused on campus related issues alongside latest happenings in the global textile community and actively works for erasing communication gap between students and the decision makers.
- BUTEX Science Club – A student initiative working for the enrichment of scientific knowledge and enhancement of research in the undergraduate level. It is also among the clubs that receives an operations advisor from the university faculty. It organizes events and participates in inter-university Olympiads and competitions on various occasions.
- Shahitto Shongshod / Shuhrid Shomabesh – A place for students to share and practice their literary skills. Despite not having any publication scope of their own, they hold occasional literary events internally.
- BUTEX Spinner's Club – This club is formed by students from the Department of Yarn Engineering and primarily focuses on increasing its collaborative network with the industry. It occasionally arranges recreational events and hosts annual carnivals which extend beyond the campus.
- Pothik – A club formed by students with a touch of nihilistic euphoria in their mind.
- Prothom Alo Bondhushobha – An extended campus unit of the nationwide youth activist group Bondhushobha, a sister concern of Prothom Alo—a major daily newspaper agency in Bangladesh.
- Toru Institute of Inclusive Innovation – An operational chapter of the institution with the same name, in the campus.
- Travelers of BUTEX – This is a club that functions as a meeting hub for students who identify themselves as an avid traveler. It frequently organizes seasonal trips and tours to faraway destinations.
- Youth Against Hunger – This works as an on-campus student unit for the countrywide voluntary relief organization in Bangladesh. Their activities are centered around working for the underprivileged part of the population and tends to expand beyond the neighborhood community.
The institution authority arranges industrial tours for the undergrad students in a per semester basis. These visits are done in collaboration with select textile goods manufacturing companies, apparel houses and testing labs, in order to introduce young learners directly with the working environment from an earlier stage of their studentship.
An on-campus doctor is employed on full-time duty with an allocated chamber inside the main campus building if need should arise. The university authority also holds a deal with MH Shamarita Medical College and Hospital, a composite medical facility situated near the campus, to provide medical service to its students and stuffs along with the faculty at a minimal service cost.
There are four dormitories which are also known as "Halls of Residence" to provide housing for the regular students. Administrative head in charge of a dormitory is its Provost, who is elected from among the institution faculty, and is granted the duty for a two-year time period.
They are listed below:
- Shaheed Aziz Hall
- G.M.A.G. Osmani Hall
- Syed Nazrul Islam Hall
- Sheikh Hasina Hall
Each of these facilities are named after eminent historical figures of Bangladesh, only except being the Sheikh Hasina Hall. A fifth dormitory facility for students with the name "Subahan Ali Hall" is awaiting government approval for its construction.
The institution has a centrally located playground inside of the campus for its students and the faculty. There are two other separate playgrounds, one of which is located at the premises of the Shaheed Aziz Hall, while the other is at the G.M.A.G. Osmani Hall — being the largest of them all.
- List of universities in Bangladesh
- University Grants Commission (Bangladesh)
- Textile schools in Bangladesh
- Ministry of Textiles and Jute, Bangladesh
- Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association
- Bangladesh Knitwear Manufacturers and Exporters Association
- Bangladesh Textile Mills Association
- Bangladesh Jute Corporation
- Bangladesh Jute Mills Corporation
- "Message from the Vice Chancellor". Bangladesh University of Textiles.
- Sadat, Abir (18 August 2019). "'মেইড ইন বাংলাদেশ' গল্পের চরিত্ররা" [Heroes behind the story "Made in Bangladesh"]. Prothom Alo (in Bengali). Bangladesh. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- "Form industrial police to protect RMG sector — Textile engineers urge government". The Daily Star. Bangladesh. 7 July 2009. Retrieved 4 September 2019.
- "RMG sector needs better technology — Says French business team leader". The Daily Star. 28 April 2009. Retrieved 21 September 2019.
- "BUTEX: A Short History". www.butex.edu.bd. 15 March 2011. Retrieved 20 November 2020.
- "PM opens first textile university". bdnews24.com. 15 March 2011. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- Government of Bangladesh. "About BHETI". Bangladesh Handloom Education and Training Institute. Retrieved 18 November 2020.
- Hossain, Mohashin (13 February 2020). ভাতৃত্ববোধের এক অনন্য নজির স্থাপন করলো বুটেক্স ওয়েট প্রসেসের শিক্ষার্থীরা [Symbol of brotherhood exhibited by the Wet Process Engineering students at BUTEX]. বিডি সমাচার২৪.কম (in Bengali). Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- গ্রাফিতিতে নতুন সাজে বুটেক্স [BUTEX reemerges with being coated in graffiti]. The Daily Campus (in Bengali). Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- "BADHAN – A Voluntary Blood Donors' Organization". Archived from the original on 19 February 2015. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- উপাচার্যের সঙ্গে বাঁধনের নতুন কমিটির শুভেচ্ছা বিনিময় [New committee of Badhon (BUTEX Unit) greets the VC]. Odhikar (in Bengali). 15 January 2020. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- Dewan, Rifat (21 August 2019). "Students brainstorm textile-based business issues". The Financial Express. Bangladesh (published 15 August 2019). Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- "Dysin Texbiz (2018) Launched". The Daily Star. Bangladesh. 18 May 2018. Retrieved 4 September 2019.
- "BUTEX Business Club Website". BUTEX Business Club. Archived from the original on 22 November 2018. Retrieved 22 November 2018.
- বিতর্কে চ্যাম্পিয়ন বুটেক্সডিসি ‘বুনন’ [BUTEXDC 'Bunon' Champion at Debate]. Daily Bangladesh (in Bengali). Bangladesh. 19 January 2020. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- Rahman, Mabin (25 May 2019). বুটেক্স শিক্ষার্থী তুষারের অ্যাপ ‘টেক্সব্যাগ’ [BUTEX Student Develops App 'TexBag']. Daily Bangladesh (in Bengali). Bangladesh. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- Hossain, Forman (2 May 2020). সেহরি-ইফতারের সময় জানাবে এই অ্যাপ [App to inform time of Suhur and Iftar]. Daily Bangladesh (in Bengali). Bangladesh. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- স্নাতক সম্পন্ন করার আগেই চাকুরী হয় যাদের [The ones who get hired even before their graduation]. BTC News (in Bengali). Bangladesh. 13 December 2019. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- কেমিক্যাল কনসালটেন্ট তৈরি করবে বুটেক্সের এসসিইএম প্রোগ্রাম [BUTEX SCEM program to create Chemical Consultants]. Odhikar (in Bengali). 3 December 2019. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- ল্যাবে তৈরি হ্যান্ড স্যানিটাইজার বিনামূল্যে বিতরণ করলো বুটেক্স শিক্ষার্থীরা [BUTEX students distribute free hand-sanitizer to the public after producing them on campus lab]. Channel 24 (in Bengali). Bangladesh. 18 March 2020. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- "Ekattor: Cultural Club – BUTEX". Bangladesh University of Textiles. Retrieved 16 October 2020.
- বুটেক্স এনভায়রনমেন্টাল ক্লাবের উদ্যোগে বিশ্ব পরিবেশ দিবস উদযাপিত [World Environment Day gets celebrated by BUTEX Environmental Club]. Odhikar (in Bengali). 6 June 2020. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- Sadi, Abir Mohammad (19 May 2020). "Journey of BUTEX Fashionnovation". Bunon (in Bengali). Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- Mehedi, Tauhid (13 May 2020). বুটেক্সে ফ্যাশেনোভেশনের প্রিন্টিং এর উপর অনলাইন কোর্স শুরু [Online course program on printing gets initiated by BUTEX Fashionnovation]. Varsity Voice (in Bengali). Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- নতুন তিন শর্ট ফিল্ম সাগরকে উৎসর্গ করলেন আদর [Ador dedicates his 3 newly released short-films to Sagor]. Odhikar (in Bengali). 14 December 2019. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- Shamim (14 March 2020). বুটেক্স সাংবাদিক সমিতির নির্বাচন সম্পন্ন [Election held for BUTEX Journalist Society]. The Campus Today (in Bengali). Bangladesh. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- গার্মেন্টস ঝুট থেকে স্যানিটারি ন্যাপকিন: বুটেক্স শিক্ষার্থীদের গবেষণা. The Daily Campus (in Bengali). Bangladesh. 29 February 2020. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- "The idea 'to replace one-time use polythene' wins Hult Prize 2020 at BUTEX". Textile Today. 8 December 2019. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- বাংলাদেশ টেক্সটাইল বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের সাহিত্য সংসদ [The "Shahitto Shongshod" (literary society) of Bangladesh University of Textiles]. Prothom Alo (in Bengali). Bangladesh. 23 February 2020. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- Jim, Sabaim Islam (7 February 2020). বুটেক্সে পর্দা নামলো "স্পিনার্স ফিয়েস্তা ২০.২০" এর ["Spinners Fiesta 20.20" ceremony wrapped up at BUTEX]. BD Somachar 24 (in Bengali). Bangladesh. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- Aumit, Anondo Dotto (13 October 2020). তীব্র আবাসন সংকট বুটেক্সের হলগুলোতে [Intense crisis around dorm capacity in BUTEX]. CampusLive24 (in Bengali). Bangladesh (published 6 January 2020). Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- সাগরকে উৎসর্গ করে বুটেক্সে ফুটবল টুর্নামেন্টের উদ্বোধন [Football tournament launches at BUTEX playground in the memory of Sagor]. Odhikar (in Bengali). 4 December 2019. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- "Aziz Ahmed made new army chief". The Independent. 19 June 2018.
- "Develop world-class curriculum, President asks BUTEX". UNB. 30 January 2020.
- Professor Md. Abul Kashem BUTEX VC
- BUTEX Official Website Link
- Textile Based Magazine
- PM Opens First Textile University