Udayon (transl. Creator) is a 2005 Indian Malayalam-language comedy drama film written and directed by Bhadran and produced by Maha Subair. It stars Mohanlal in dual roles: 75-year-old farmer Suranadu Kunju and his happy-go-lucky son Papoyi, Laya plays the female lead role and also features Manoj K. Jayan, Kalabhavan Mani, Innocent, Jagathy Sreekumar, and Salim Ghouse in substantial roles. The film features original soundtrack composed by Ouseppachan.
|Produced by||Maha Subair|
Manoj K. Jayan
|Edited by||Ranjan Abraham|
Varnachithra Big Screen
|Distributed by||Varnachithra Release|
|15 July 2005|
Kunju is so obsessed with his land that he even grabs his sister's share by forging his father's will. Though he is known to be stubborn, his love for agriculture is appreciated by his youngest son.
Mohanlal plays the double role of 75-year-old Suranadu Kunju and his son Papoyi. Kunju thinks that the heartbeat of the earth is in soil (Agriculture) and not in any other vocation. His beliefs on land and agrarianism are good, but his value system that farmers and farming are more important and better than anything else is preposterous. He denies his sons the opportunity to pursue their interests and wants them to be successful in agriculture, which leads to frequent sarcastic quarrels between Kunju and his three sons. Also, when he decides to marry off his daughter to an odd looking but farming enthusiast instead of an educated, handsome Doctor makes them feel that the father is destroying and spoiling their lives with his ideals, stubbornness and high handedness.
Kunju had swindled a large portion of land (5 Acres) - which should have been inherited by his sister Eechamma (Bindu Panicker) - by discreetly altering his Father's Will with the crooked assistance of the Family advocate. The deceit is revealed to Eechamma - years later - by a severely ailing and remorseful Mullassery Sreedharan (V. K. Sreeraman) (the old advocate). Eechamma decides to get back her rightful share through a proper legal channel as her financial situation is in a bad position compared to Kunju. Eighteen years ago, Eecha's husband (A toddy shop owner) committed suicide due to a dire financial crisis - after beseechingly requesting Kunju for help, which the latter denied owing to his miserly behaviour.
Mathan (Kalabhavan Mani), Eecha's second son - known as JCB for owning and operating a Bulldozer for his livelihood - and his villainous brother in law, a local Tamil village chieftain and an arbitrator, adds a twist as he interferes in the family property dispute. All said and done, the sister doesn't want evil to her brother, and her younger son, the mute, also doesn't want. Papoyi tries to save things but never has luck. Ultimately, Kunju's youngest son is used as a bait to coerce for the transfer of property. At last, amidst the chaos, Ponnan is killed, and Kunju kills the villainous brother in law Perumal (Salim Ghouse). And gives the family property keys to Eecha, and the patriarch stick to Papoyi after being arrested and taken to the prison. While leaving his house with the Police, Kunju - an impassive individual - wails loudly, repenting his misdeeds.
- Mohanlal as
- Shooranadu Kunju (father)
- Shooranadu Papoyi (son)
- Kalabhavan Mani as Mathan, second son of Ichamma
- Manoj K. Jayan as Pottan, youngest son of Ichamma
- Innocent as Shooranad Rarichan, first son of Kunju
- Laya as Nurse Maya, Papoyi's classmate and love interest
- Jagathy Sreekumar as Shavappetty Thoma, first son of Ichamma
- Siddique as Mammali
- Master Adarsh as Ponnan, youngest son of Kunju
- Kuku Paremeswaran as Malli
- Shammi Thilakan as Sub Inspector Itti
- Bheeman Raghu as Circle Inspector Illikadan
- Mohan Jose as Manthodi Joppan
- Sadiq as Mathai, Pappoy's friend
- Kulappulli Leela as Bullet Kuttiyamma
- Rajan P. Dev as Chetti
- M. R. Gopakumar as Chackochi, Ichamma's husband
- Idavela Babu as Shooranad Itti, third son of Kunju
- Salim Ghouse as Perumal
- Nassar as Unni Vaidyan
- Bindu Panicker as Ichamma
- Rekha as Nangeli
- Sukanya as Susiemol, only daughter of Kunju
- Ambika Mohan as Rarichan's wife
- V. K. Sreeraman as Advocate Sreedharan
- Kochu Preman as Kangaroo, Bus conductor
- Vinayakan as Thoma's helper
- Valsala Menon as Karthyayani Amma
- Kalpana as Kunjujamma
- Unnikrishnan Namboothiri as Priest
- Baby Akshai as Son of Kuku Paremeswaran
- Vinod Therattil as Person helping Papoyi during the bus accident
- Baiju Ezhupunna, Koothattukulam Mathai as Tipper Lorry Driver
The film features original soundtrack composed by Ouseppachan.
|1.||"Angethala"||Rafeeq Ahamed||Shankar Mahadevan, Ganga||4:59|
|2.||"Chiri Chirichal"||Rafeeq Ahamed||Anwar Sadath, Gang||4:36|
|3.||"Pathinettam Patta"||Prabha Varma||Ouseppachan||1:24|
|4.||"Poondankila"||Lakshmi Shrikumar||Pushpa Anand, Alex||3:24|
|6.||"Thiruvarangil"||Lakshmi Shrikumar||Madhu Balakrishnan||6:02|
|7.||"Thiruvarangil"||Lakshmi Shrikumar||K. S. Chithra||6:02|
The film was released on 15 July 2005, and became an Average in the box office, also getting mixed to negative reviews from the critics. Most of the them criticized the complicated plot but Mohanlal’s Performance as the crafty, tough bordering on villainy, Shooranad Kunju was well praised. Webindia123 called the film "a must see for Mohanlal fans".
- Sify preview
- "Jo is the new 'Chandramukhi'". Sify.com. 18 November 2004. Archived from the original on 25 September 2014. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- https://www.webindia123.com/movie/regional/udayon/index.htm[bare URL]