Kunnisseri Veettil Raman Mani (1 January 1970 – 6 March 2016), better known by his stage name Kalabhavan Mani, was an Indian film actor and singer. Kalabhavan Mani started his career as a mimicry artist with the Kalabhavan comedy troupe. He had starred in over 200 films, including Malayalam, Tamil, Kannada, and Telugu films, and was renowned for his humorous characters and villain roles.
|Died||6 March 2016 (aged 45)|
|Years active||1995 – 2016|
Kalabhavan Mani was born in Kerala  to Chenathunad Kunnisseri Veettil Raman and Ammini at Chalakudy, Thrissur District on New Year's Day in 1971. He had an elder brother, Velayudan (deceased), younger brother, R. L. V. Ramakrishnan (dancer) and four sisters, Thankamani, Leela, Santha and Ammini Jr. He studied at GLPS East School Chalakudy till 4th grade and Government Boys School, Chalakudy till 10th grade.
Mani married to Nimmy on 22 September 1999 and has a daughter. He was once an autorickshaw driver from Chalakudy. His brother, R. L. V. Ramakrishnan acted in Bamboo Boys in a cameo role, starring alongside Cochin Haneefa, his brother, Harisree Ashokan and Salim Kumar.
He started his career as a mimicry artist with the drama group Cochin Kalabhavan. He started his acting career in the Malayalam film Aksharam as an auto rickshaw driver.He got his first major breakthrough in Sallapam (1996). Since then, he has acted in several movies as a comedian. His first leading role was in the film Vasanthiyum Lakshmiyum Pinne Njaanum. His first music album was (Thushima Guntharo)Kannimanga Prayathil. He has since established a parallel industry of folk songs (nadan pattu) selling a record number of releases. He has also released a few religious songs and Mappila Pattukal. Mani started his career portraying comic roles in Malayalam films which later shifted to character and villain roles. He was cast as the protagonist in movies like Vasanthiyum Lakshmiyum Pinne Njaanum, Karumadikkuttan, Ben Johnson, Aayirathil Oruvan, Valkannadi, Lokanathan IAS, Kerala Police, Red Salute etc. Eventually he portrayed negative characters. Mani is well known for providing humanitarian assistance to people in need. Mani was approached and was offered a seat in the 2016 Kerala Legislative Assembly election by LDF. He had openly told that he was a Leftist and used to Campaign for CPI(M) and left parties during elections.
Mani provided generously and did a lot of charity work for the poor people. Reportedly, on an average day, around 20 people from less privileged backgrounds used to come to visit him at his residence. He then wholeheartedly donated money, repaid debts and offered to help them. He is therefore often referred to with the title of "poor man's superstar" in Kerala. As a fund-raiser and performer, he also had contributed money to the local festivals of the religious organisations and provided funds to the schools in his village. He adopted two Adivasi Colonies in Athirappilly area and fed them. He used to take Adivasi kids to Tour and used to spend time with students from all over the country.
Kalabhavan Mani died at 7:15 pm on 6 March 2016, aged 45. The day before, he was admitted to Amrita Hospital, Kochi, with haematemesis (vomiting of blood) and was in the ICU. The police registered a case as unnatural death due to the presence of excessive methyl alcohol (a toxic chemical found in illicitly distilled liquor, Arrack) with acetaminophen in Kalabhavan Mani's body.
On 8 March 2016, based on the initial autopsy report and statements of witnesses, the police said that serious alcoholic fatty liver illness along with alcohol consumption may have caused his death and it might have been a suicide attempt. Four months prior to his death, doctors had categorically warned him against drinking alcohol and he was counselled for severe depression. However, Mani in his phase of depression and informed severe liver damage conditions, ignored the doctors' warnings and continued with alcoholism. Even on the day before he died, he was allegedly reported consuming alcohol (beer) with friends in the outhouse of his house.
His unexpected death led to a case by his friends and family which has been filed for investigation through Kochi City Police. On 18 March 2016, based on the forensic test from the Regional Chemical Examiner's Laboratory, death cause was identified with high probability a highly poisonous chemical, Chlorpyrifos—usually used in insecticides, which is banned in many countries for residential use, it is considered as a hazardous substance for general ecology. Presence of chlorpyrifos along with methyl and ethyl alcohol contents were found excessively in the test samples. The report suggests that Mani might have consumed the poison knowingly or unknowingly over the days before his death. Therefore, the Government of Kerala has ordered a comprehensive probe in the death of Mani. The police is rounding the case through whom Mani could have accessed this poisonous concoction for substance abuse. Under RLV Ramakrishnan's suspicion Mani's three close friends have been taken into custody for questioning to rule out activities of vested interest. On 11 June 2016, based on the recommendation of the state DGP, the Government of Kerala has decided the case to be investigated by CBI. In May 2017 CBI took over the case and submitted FIR in which it was stated that the death of Kalabhavan Mani was due to unusual reasons
His sudden demise led to emotional reactions from his fans and many of his co-stars in the Malayalam Film Industry along with the rest of the South Indian Film Industry. The Mollywood film fraternity and thousands of fans of late actor Kalabhavan Mani paid homage to the versatile artiste during a memorial service on 13 March 2016, at Carmel Higher Secondary School in Chalakudy organised by well-wishers. Tributes were celebrated through the media with 2–3 hours programme special. Mani was cremated with full state honours at his home premises on 7 March. The shopkeepers of Chalakudy paid homage to Mani by closing their shops on the same day.
On 14 May 2013, Mani has been accused of assaulting two forest officials during a routine inspection at Athirappilly. However, those who had claimed to be travelling with Mani in the same car, had filed a complaint against the forest officials for abusing them. The police have registered cases against both Mani and the injured forest officials Later, Mani was arrested and charged when he surrendered to the police. He was granted bail by the High Court of Kerala with conditions on it. Mani and his friends had been on a trip to the tourist place when forest officials intervened and said they wanted to search his vehicle. It had alleged that the officials started having an argument with Mani, allegedly hit the actor, verbally assaulted his Other Backward Class caste and stated Kalabhavan Mani was a "Dalit" and misbehaved with his friends wives on the car. T. P. Senkumar of then Kerala Police ADGP had said that Mani was unnecessarily harassed by the officials and the actual reason behind the assault case against Mani was that he belonged to a lower caste and that discrimination against the ordinary and lower class exists in the Kerala Police force. However, the High Court criticised ADGP regarding the statement. On the other hand, the officials had alleged that Mani was in a drunk condition and also a main accused in two other assault cases. During an interview at Kairali channel, Mani said that jealousy had caused the officials registering the false case against him and the police officer who beat him had a criminal background of four charges.
Awards and honoursEdit
- 1999 – Best Actor Award – Vasantiyum Lakshmiyum Pinne Njanum
- 2007 – Best Actor in a Villain Role – Chotta Mumbai
- 2008 – Vanitha Chandrika Award for Best Actor in Villain Role– Chotta Mumbai
Jaihind TV awards
- 2010 – Special Jury Award
- 2014 Bharat Gopi Foundation Award
|2016||Poyi Maranju Parayathe||Rahul|
|Loka Samastha||Chinthal Rajan|
|2014||Onnum Onnum Moonu||Ambulance Driver|
|Konthayum Poonoolum||Police officer|
|Caribeans||Vishwanathan, Charlie, Charles|
|Crocodile Love Story||Sharp Shooter Suresh|
|Rebecca Uthup Kizhakkemala||Priest|
|Oru Kudumba Chithram||Arunagiri|
|Ayalum Njanum Thammil||Sub Inspector Purushothaman|
|Husbands in Goa||Sub Inspector Imran Khalid|
|MLA Mani: Patham Classum Gusthiyum||Mani|
|Face 2 Face||C.I. Abdul Latheef|
|Snake & Ladder||Viswanathan|
|Priyappetta Nattukare||Sakhav Dasan|
|Manushyamrugam||Circle Inspector Rajeev|
|Adaminte Makan Abu||Johnson|
|Baktha janangalude Sradhaykku||Uncle|
|2010||Oru Small Family||C I Bhargavan|
|Annarakannanum Thannalayathu||Changampuzha Pavithran|
|Oridathoru Postman||Police Officer|
|3 Char Sau Bees||Raghavan|
|2009||Keralotsavam 2009||Jacob Isaac|
|Katha Parayum Theruvoram|
|Oru Black and White Kudumbam||Antony|
|Bullet||C I Wahid Abdul Rahman Haji|
|Shakespeare M.A. Malayalam||Kottayam Gopalan|
|Parthan Kanda Paralokam||Veerabhadran / Musafir|
|Abraham & Lincoln||Abraham|
|Chacko Randaman||Ottachavittu Chacko / Johny Kutty / Chacko|
|Ben Johnson||Ben Johnson / Pathrose|
|Iruvattam Manavaatti||Korathu Raghavan|
|2004||Magic Lamp||Chalakkudy Manikanthan
(an impersonation of himself)
|Kusruthi||Ezhumangalam Panan Gurukkal|
|Kanninum Kannadikkum||Praav / Maniyan|
|C.I. Mahadevan 5 Adi 4 Inchu||Karimpuli Antony|
|Sethurama Iyer CBI||Isow Alex|
|2003||War and Love||Basheer|
|Shingari Bolona||Classy Kariyachan|
|Malsaram||Kuppikandam Hamsa&Kannan Bhai|
|2002||Nakshathrakkannulla Rajakumaran Avanundoru Rajakumari||Kochu Kurup|
|Jagathy Jagadeesh in Town||Malleswaran|
|Malayali Mamanu Vanakkam||Thiruppathy Perumal / Muniyandi|
|Savithriyude Aranjanam||Phayaalvan Phalgunan|
|2001||The Guard||Appu Kuttan Nair, Thomachan|
|One Man Show||Ponnappan|
|Ee Naadu Innale Vare||Seyad|
|Akashathile Paravakal||Udumbu Vasu|
|Soothradharan||Ramesan's brother in law|
|Nalacharitham Naalam Divasam||Maina|
|Kochu Kochu Santhoshangal||Sudhakaran|
|Mr. Butler||'Major' Kuttan|
|Ingane Oru Nilapakshi|
|Rapid Action Force||SI Arjun|
|1999||Vasanthiyum Lakshmiyum Pinne Njaanum||Ramu|
|Aakasha Ganga||Fr. Vettikalan|
|Onnaamvattam Kandappol||Rajani Muththu|
|My Dear Karady||Manikantan|
|Kannezhuthi Pottum Thottu||Moosakutty's friend|
|Onnaamvattam Kandappol||Rajani Muthu|
|1998||Aalibabayum Aarara Kallanmarum||Palacharakku Chandi|
|Kattathoru Penpoovu (Villain)|
|Malabaril Ninnoru Manimaaran||Sashankan|
|Kottaram Veettile Apputtan||Maniyan|
|Oru Maravathoor Kanavu||O.C. Antappan|
|Oro Viliyum Kathorthu||Varunni|
|Summer in Bethlahem||Monai|
|British Market||SI Hameed (Double Role)|
|Manthri Maalikayil Manasammatham||Philip|
|Aaram Thamburan||Younger Namboothiri|
|Rajathanthram||Adv. P.K. Sivakumar|
|My Dear Kuttichathan||Magician|
|The Good Boys||Gopalakrishnan|
|Mannadiar Penninu Chenkotta Checkan||Madhavan|
|Excuse Me Ethu Collegila||Appukuttan|
|Naalamkettile Nalla Thampimar|
|Kaathil Oru Kinnaram||Babu|
|Kireedamillatha Rajakkanmar||Superfast Chandren|
|Saamoohya Paadam||K.K. Karunan|
|Aksharam||Auto Rickshaw driver|
|1991||Captain Prabhakaran||Junior artist|
|Thathi Thavadhu Manasu|
|Kadhal Kisu Kisu|
|Something Something Unakkum Enakkum||"Mark" Mayandi|
|2009||Modhi Vilayadu||Rajan Vasudev|
|Madha Gaja Raja|
|2016||Pudhusa Naan Poranthen|
As playback singerEdit
- Sammanam (1995)
- Kottaram Veettile Apputtan (1998)
- Kannezhuthi Pottum Thottu (1999)
- Vasanthiyum Lakshmiyum pinne njanum (1999)
- O Priye (2000)
- Achaneyanishttam (2001)
- Akasthile Paravakal (2001)
- The Guard (2001)
- Karumadikkuttan (2001)
- Bamboo Boys (2002)
- Kanmashi (2002)
- Vaalkannadi (2002)
- Kusruthy Kannan (2003)
- Kanninum Kannadiykkum (2004)
- Kazhcha (2004)
- Malsaram (2004)
- Ananthabhadram (2005)
- Ben Johnson (2005)
- Chacko Randaaman (2006)
- Kissan (2006)
- Red Salute (2006)
- Abraham Lincoln (2007)
- Evan (2007)
- Kabadi Kabadi (2008)
- Twenty Twenty (2010)
- Chakorandaman (2006)
- paayum puli(2007)
As music directorEdit
|2011||Mani Muzhagunnathu Arkkuvendi||Album Song|
|2012||MLA Mani Pathaam Classum Gusthiyum|
- MLA Mani Pathaam Classum Gusthiyum (2012)
- Manimelam as host (Kairali TV)
- Gajarajan Guruvayoor Keshavan (Surya TV)
- Meera (Asianet)
- Vinodsala (Doordarshan)
- Chiri Arangu (Doordarshan)
- കലാഭവന് മണിക്ക് ഇത് എന്തുപറ്റി? Archived 3 December 2013 at the Wayback Machine. mangalam.com (9 October 2013). Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- A Online Malayalam Cinema News Portal Archived 19 May 2015 at the Wayback Machine. Cinidiary. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "'Chalakuddikaran Changathi' is a tribute to Kalabhavan Mani". gulfnews.com. Archived from the original on 4 June 2020. Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 17 April 2016. Retrieved 7 April 2016.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "വായില് തോന്നിയത് കോതയ്ക്ക് പാട്ട്". mangalamvarika.com. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- Mani matters Archived 12 November 2010 at the Wayback Machine. The Hindu (25 April 2002). Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- Sreedhar Pillai (25 April 2002). "Mani matters". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 12 November 2010. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- മണി ഐശ്വര്യയുടെ നായകന്, Interview – Mathrubhumi Movies. mathrubhumi.com. 10 June 2010
- Thousands Bid Goodbye to Kalabhavan Mani, Police Probe Death Archived 11 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine. The New Indian Express (7 March 2016). Retrieved 7 March 2016.
- Mani returns as a free man, clearing off all his debts Archived 11 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine. The Malayala Manorama (11 March 2016). Retrieved 11 March 2016.
- Kalabhavan Mani could sing, dance and act with his entire body Archived 11 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine. The Indian Express(8 March 2016). Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- "Actor Kalabhavan Mani dead". The Hindu. Special Correspondent. 6 March 2016. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 18 December 2020.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Kalabhavan Mani, famous Malayalam actor and singer dead". The Indian Express. 7 March 2016. Retrieved 18 December 2020.
- "Kalabhavan Mani: Methyl alcohol in blood, police case of unnatural death". The Indian Express. Archived from the original on 8 March 2016. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- "Alcohol and liver ailments caused Kalabhavan Mani's death". Manorama Online. Archived from the original on 9 March 2016. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- "Farewell to Master Actor Kalabhavan Mani". The New Indian Express. Archived from the original on 8 March 2016. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- "Actor Kalabhavan Mani passes away". The News Minute. Archived from the original on 7 March 2016. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- "Insecticide found in Kalabhavan Mani's viscera samples". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 18 March 2016. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Mystery around Kalabhavan Mani's death deepens: Forensic tests confirm presence of insecticide in his body". First Post. Archived from the original on 20 March 2016. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Mystery deepens over actor Kalabhavan Mani's death, traces of insecticide found in body". The News Minute. Archived from the original on 20 March 2016. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Mystery: How did actor Kalabhavan Mani die?". DNA India. Archived from the original on 22 March 2016. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Kerala govt to hand over Kalabhavan Mani's death probe to CBI". The Indian Express. Archived from the original on 11 June 2016. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- "Kalabhavan Mani Death Case". Retrieved 23 May 2017.
- "JB Junction interview with Mani". jbjunction.com. Archived from the original on 11 March 2016. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- Kalabhavan Mani assaults forest officials Archived 7 April 2014 at the Wayback Machine The Hindu(16 May 2013). Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Kalabhavan Mani accused of assaulting forest guards! Archived 7 April 2014 at the Wayback Machine Sify.com(16 May 2013). Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Kalabhavan Mani surrenders, given bail Archived 16 May 2014 at the Wayback Machine The Hindu(25 May 2013). Retrieved 25 May 2013.
- Alleged assault on forest officials: ADGP supports Kalabhavan Mani Alleged assault on forest officials: ADGP supports Kalabhavan Mani Archived 12 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine YouTube (22 May 2013). Retrieved 22 May 2013
- Case against Kalabhavan Mani because he is from a lower caste: Kerala Police Archived 12 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine Kollytalk (23 May 2013). Retrieved 23 May 2013
- HC dismisses ADGP's plea to expunge criticism following casteist remarks Archived 4 January 2017 at the Wayback Machine YouTube (5 March 2015). Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Kalabhavan Mani granted bail Archived 22 June 2015 at the Wayback Machine The Times of India (17 June 2015). Retrieved 17 June 2015
- Kalabhavan Mani on new generation cinema Archived 8 March 2014 at the Wayback Machine YouTube (23 June 2013). Retrieved 25 May 2013.
- Bharath Gopy award for Kalabhavan Mani Archived 31 January 2014 at the Wayback Machine. Metromatinee.com (30 January 2014). Retrieved 20 September 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kalabhavan Mani.|