Tyler Boyd (soccer)
Tyler Dominic Boyd (born December 30, 1994) is a New Zealand-American soccer player who plays as a striker or right winger for Turkish club Sivasspor, on loan from Beşiktaş, and the United States national team.
|Full name||Tyler Dominic Boyd|
|Date of birth||December 30, 1994|
|Place of birth||Tauranga, New Zealand|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Position(s)||Striker, Right winger|
(on loan from Beşiktaş)
|2014–2015||Wellington Phoenix Reserves||6||(10)|
|2015–2017||Vitória de Guimarães B||73||(13)|
|2015–2019||Vitória de Guimarães||12||(0)|
|2017–2018||→ Tondela (loan)||27||(5)|
|2019||→ Ankaragücü (loan)||14||(6)|
|2021–||→ Sivasspor (loan)||14||(5)|
|2013||New Zealand U20||9||(1)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of May 11, 2021|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of November 19, 2019
Boyd is a citizen of both New Zealand and the United States, having been born in New Zealand to a New Zealand father and an American mother. He was raised in Santa Ynez, California, until the age of 10, when he returned to New Zealand. He credits the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos men's soccer team as his inspiration for starting the game as he served as a ball boy and they held camps near his hometown.
New Zealand clubsEdit
After coming through the youth teams, Boyd first appeared for the senior team of Melville United in the NRFL Premier during the 2011 season at the age of 16, helping them to a third-placed finish. Showing promise, Boyd joined Waikato FC in the ASB Premiership for the 2011–12 season.
In September 2012, Boyd signed a three-year contract for the Wellington Phoenix and made his debut as a 17-year-old, coming on as a substitute in an A-League match against Sydney FC on October 6, 2012. Boyd scored 2 goals in 20 appearances for the Phoenix in the 2013–14 season and was named the club's under-23 player of the year.
Vitória de GuimarãesEdit
Loan to TondelaEdit
Loan to MKE AnkaragücüEdit
On July 15, 2019, Boyd joined Turkish Süper Lig side Beşiktaş, signing a 4-year contract. On November 7, 2019, Boyd scored his first goal for the club in a 3-1 defeat to Sporting Braga in the group stage of the UEFA Europa League.
On September 13, 2020, Boyd scored a spectacular long-range effort in a 3–1 win over Trabzonspor. On October 7, Boyd was not included as one of the club's 14 foreign roster spots for the first half of the Süper Lig season. This happened despite the player having started all six of the club's games that season.
Loan to SivassporEdit
On May 18, 2019, having solely appeared in friendly matches for New Zealand, FIFA approved a one-time switch for Boyd to represent the United States internationally. Just days later, on 22 May, he was named in the United States' provisional roster for the 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup.
In his second game for the United States, Boyd scored his first goal for his new country, scoring in their Gold Cup game against Guyana on June 18, 2019. The goal was the 1,000th goal in United States men's national soccer team history and was assisted by midfielder Michael Bradley. In the 80th minute, Boyd doubled his goalscoring total with his second of the game.
- As of match played April 29, 2021.
|Vitória de Guimarães||2015–16||Primeira Liga||2||0||–||–||–||2||0|
|Vitória de Guimarães B||2015–16||Segunda Liga||39||5||–||–||–||39||5|
|Tondela (loan)||2017–18||Primeira Liga||27||5||0||0||0||0||1[a]||0||28||5|
|Ankaragücü (loan)||2018–19||Süper Lig||14||6||0||0||0||0||–||14||6|
|Sivasspor (loan)||2020–21||Süper Lig||12||5||1||0||–||–||13||5|
- As of matches played June 30, 2019. United States score listed first, score column indicates score after each Boyd goal.
|1||June 18, 2019||Allianz Field, Saint Paul, United States||2||Guyana||2–0||4–0||2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup|
- "List of Players — 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup" (PDF). Fédération Internationale de Football Association. Retrieved June 22, 2013.
- "Tyler Boyd". bjk.com.tr. Retrieved June 6, 2020.
- "ASN: Dual national Tyler Boyd hopes success at Guimarães leads to international choice". americansoccernow.com. Retrieved June 6, 2019.
- Sciaretta, Brian (May 28, 2019). "After switching to represent the U.S. team, Boyd exicited [sic] for the future". www.americansoccernow.com. Retrieved November 25, 2019.
- "2011". The Ultimate New Zealand Soccer Website. Retrieved August 18, 2020.
- "Phoenix snap up young striker Boyd".
- "Tyler Boyd: He shoots, he scores".
- Worthington, Sam. "Albert Riera Phoenix's player of the year". Fairfax NZ News. Retrieved May 4, 2014.
- "Wellington Phoenix confirm striker Tyler Boyd will join Portuguese club Vitoria SC at conclusion of A-League season". abc.net.au. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- "Avançado neozelandês Tyler Boyd emprestado ao Tondela" [New Zealand forward Tyler Boyd on loan to Tondela]. Diário de Notícias (in Portuguese). June 29, 2017.
- "Tyler Boyd ve Kitsiou MKE Ankaragücü'nde" [Tyler Boyd and Kitsiou MKE at Ankaragücü] (in Turkish). =beIN Sports. January 30, 2019.
- "Tyler Boyd Beşiktaş'ta" [Tyler Boyd moves to Beşiktaş] (in Turkish). bjk.com.tr. July 15, 2019.
- "USA's Tyler Boyd Scores First Goal for Besiktas". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved November 7, 2019.
- "US international Tyler Boyd scores highlight-reel goal for Turkish club Besiktas". MLS Soccer. September 13, 2020. Retrieved October 10, 2020.
- "USMNT's Berhalter: Tyler Boyd's Besiktas roster situation 'surprising'". ESPN. October 9, 2020.
- Joseph, Brendan (February 1, 2021). "Tyler Boyd joins Sivasspor on loan". Stars and Stripes FC. Retrieved February 2, 2021.
- fifa.com. "Tyler Boyd Tournament Statistics".
- "Young All Whites bravehearts front up to Japan".
- "FIFA APPROVES CHANGE OF ASSOCIATION REQUEST FOR TYLER BOYD".
- "MNT ANNOUNCES COMBINED PREPARATION CAMP ROSTER TO BEGIN SUMMER".
- "U.S. Men's National Team Falls 3-0 To Venezuela In Cincinnati". www.ussoccer.com.
- Mendola, Nicholas (June 18, 2019). "Tyler Boyd scores 1,000th goal in USMNT history". NBC Sport.
- "Tyler Boyd". Soccerway. Retrieved September 12, 2020.