The King's Man
The King’s Man is an upcoming period action comedy spy film directed, produced and co-written by Matthew Vaughn, with Karl Gajdusek, from a story by Vaughn. It is a prequel to the Kingsman film series, which is loosely based on the comic book series Kingsman, created by Dave Gibbons and Mark Millar. The film features an ensemble cast that includes Ralph Fiennes, Gemma Arterton, Rhys Ifans, Matthew Goode, Tom Hollander, Harris Dickinson, Daniel Brühl, Djimon Hounsou, and Charles Dance.
|The King's Man|
Theatrical release poster with original release date
|Directed by||Matthew Vaughn|
|Story by||Matthew Vaughn|
|Distributed by||20th Century Studios|
The film is scheduled to be released on September 18, 2020.
As a collection of history's worst tyrants and criminal masterminds gather to plot a war to wipe out millions, one man and his protégé must race against time to stop them.
- Ralph Fiennes as Duke of Oxford
- Harris Dickinson as Conrad
- Gemma Arterton as Polly
- Rhys Ifans as Grigori Rasputin
- Matthew Goode as Tristan
- Tom Hollander as George V, Wilhelm II and Nicholas II
- Daniel Brühl
- Djimon Hounsou as Shola
- Charles Dance as Arthur
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Lee Unwin
- Stanley Tucci as Merlin
- Alison Steadman
- Robert Aramayo
- Alexandra Maria Lara as Polly
- Joel Basman
- Stevee Davies
In June 2018, Matthew Vaughn announced that a prequel film titled Kingsman: The Great Game was in active development, stating that the plot would take place during the early-1900s and would depict the formation of the spy agency and that the project would film back-to-back with "the third regular Kingsman film".
In September 2018, it was announced that Ralph Fiennes and Harris Dickinson would star in the prequel. In November 2018, it was revealed that Daniel Brühl, Charles Dance, Rhys Ifans and Matthew Goode would co-star in the film.
In February 2019, it was reported that Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Gemma Arterton, Tom Hollander, Djimon Hounsou, Alison Steadman, Stanley Tucci, Robert Aramayo and Neil Jackson had joined the cast. In April 2019, it was announced Alexandra Maria Lara had joined the cast of the film. Later in May, Joel Basman joined the cast. That same month, as filming concluded, Vaughn denied reports that Liam Neeson had joined the cast. Vaughn also said The Great Game was a working title and the film would not have that name.
Principal photography began January 22, 2019 in the United Kingdom. In April 2019 some scenes were shot in Turin and Venaria Reale (Italy), transformed into Yugoslavia. Additonal photography is expected to begin sometime in 2020, primarily featuring Arterton. The film's initial cinematographer Ben Davis had to depart the project due to his commitments to The Eternals.
- Marc, Christopher (January 16, 2019). "'Captain Marvel/Layer Cake' Cinematographer Ben Davis Confirmed For Matthew Vaughn's 'Kingsman: The Great Game'". HN Entertainment. Retrieved January 16, 2019.
- Travis, Ben; Hewitt, Chris (June 8, 2018). "Kick-Ass Reboot and Kingsman Universe Coming from Matthew Vaughn's New Studio". Empire. Retrieved December 2, 2018.
- Sandwell, Ian (July 17, 2019). "The King's Man: Trailer, release date, cast, plot and everything you need to know". Digital Spy. Retrieved November 30, 2019.
- Murphy, Charles (August 9, 2018). "EXCLUSIVE: Details on 'KINGSMAN 3'". That Hashtag Show. Retrieved December 2, 2018.
- Bamigboye, Baz (September 28, 2018). "Exclusive: #RalphFiennes & @HarrisDickinson to star in #Kingsman:Untitled prequel set during WW1". Twitter. Retrieved December 2, 2018.
- Marc, Christopher (September 28, 2018). "WWI Era Prequel Movie 'Kingsman: The Great Game' Will Reportedly Star Ralph Fiennes and Harris Dickinson - GWW". thegww.com. Retrieved December 2, 2018.
- Sneider, Jeffrey (November 29, 2018). "Exclusive: 'Game of Thrones' Star Joins 'Kingsman' Prequel; Rhys Ifans in Talks". Collider. Retrieved December 2, 2018.
- Sneider, Jeffrey (February 7, 2019). "'Kingsman' Prequel: Matthew Vaughn Recruits 'Kick-Ass' Star Aaron Taylor-Johnson". Collider. Retrieved August 16, 2019.
- Wiseman, Andreas (February 8, 2019). "'Kingsman' Prequel: Harris Dickinson, Gemma Arterton, Ralph Fiennes, Aaron Taylor-Johnson Among Confirmed Cast". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 16, 2019.
- Boucher, Geoff (February 22, 2019). "'Stargirl' Final Four: Amy Smart, Three Others Round Out DC Series Cast". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 16, 2019.
- Marc, Christopher (April 29, 2019). "EXCLUSIVE: 'Rush/Control' Actress Alexandra Maria Lara Joins The Cast of Matthew Vaughn's 'Kingsman: The Great Game'". HN Entertainment. Retrieved April 29, 2019.
- Marc, Christopher (May 1, 2019). "EXCLUSIVE: 'Hanna/Papillon' Actor Joel Basman Is Another Addition To The Cast of Matthew Vaughn's 'Kingsman: The Great Game'". HN Entertainment. Retrieved May 1, 2019.
- Haring, Bruce (May 26, 2019). "'Kingsman 3' Will Wrap The Eggsy/Harry Relationship, Says Director Matthew Vaughn". HN Entertainment. Retrieved May 28, 2019.
- Schiller, Griffin (May 30, 2019). "Kingsman: Matthew Vaughn Denies Liam Neeson's Involvement; Next Film Won't Be Called The Great Game [Exclusive]". The Playlist. Retrieved June 16, 2019.
- Marc, Christopher (May 31, 2019). "Matthew Vaughn Says Kingsman 3 Aiming For 2021 Release Date and There Could Be Two More Movies Coming – Debunks Report That Liam Neeson Is In Kingsman: The Great Game". HN Entertainment. Retrieved June 16, 2019.
- "Kingsman prequel begins filming". The Knowledge Online. January 22, 2019. Retrieved November 30, 2019.
- "Al via a Torino le riprese del film che racconta le "origini" dei Kingsman". Film Commission Torino Piemonte. April 24, 2019. Retrieved July 2, 2019.
- Marc, Christopher (February 3, 2020). "Matthew Vaughn's Kingsman Prequel The King's Man Undergoes Reshoots". HN Entertainment. Retrieved February 3, 2020.
- Schaefer, Sandy (July 15, 2019). "The King's Man Trailer & Poster Tease the Origins of the Kingsman". Screen Rant. Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- Anderson, Jenna. "New The King's Man Trailer Released". comicbook.com. Retrieved September 30, 2019.
- Jones, Marcus (June 19, 2019). "The 'Kingsman' prequel is now known as 'The King's Man'". Entertainment Weekly. Meredith Corporation. Retrieved June 20, 2019.
- McClintock, Pamela (February 23, 2019). "'Kingsman' Prequel Moves to Next February, Ryan Reynolds' 'Free Guy' Lands Summer 2020 Release". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (November 15, 2019). "Disney Dates A Ton Of Pics Into 2023 & Juggles Fox Releases With Ridley Scott's 'The Last Duel' To Open Christmas 2020, 'The King's Man' Next Fall – Update". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 15, 2019.