The Ghazi Attack
The Ghazi Attack is a 2017 Indian war film written, and directed by Sankalp Reddy. The film based on the mysterious sinking of PNS Ghazi during Indo-Pakistani War of 1971 is shot simultaneously in Telugu and Hindi and dubbed into Tamil. The film stars Rana Daggubati, Taapsee Pannu, Kay Kay Menon and Atul Kulkarni. The film was released worldwide on 17 February 2017 to positive reviews.
|The Ghazi Attack|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Sankalp Reddy|
|Produced by||Anvesh Reddy
Prasad V Potluri
Jagan Mohan Vancha
|Written by||Azad Alam
|Screenplay by||Sankalp Reddy
Kay Kay Menon
|Narrated by||Chiranjeevi (Telugu)
Amitabh Bachchan (Hindi)
|Edited by||A. Sreekar Prasad|
|Distributed by||Dharma Productions
|Box office||₹50 Crore|
The Ghazi Attack is inspired by true events from the Indo-Pakistani war of 1971. The story is about an executive naval officer of the Indian Submarine and his team, who remain underwater for 18 days. The film explores the mysterious circumstances under which submarine PNS Ghazi sank off the coast of Visakhapatnam in 1971. The film is an underwater tale of the courage and patriotism of the men aboard the Indian Submarine INS Karanj who destroyed the Pakistani PNS Ghazi when it ventured into Indian waters to destroy INS Vikrant.
The Indian navy (INS) dispatches S21, a submarine, under the command of Cap. Ranvijay Singh (Kay Kay Menon) for surveillance. Singh, an officer with a history of insubordination, is a bellicose soldier who believes in attacking the enemy rather than defending the territory when the enemy is close. To temper Singh's belligerent tendencies, the Indian Navy Admiral, assigns Lt. Commander Arjun Verma (Rana Daggubati) to be his deputy, with orders to ensure that Singh does not confront any Pakistani vessel and triggering an unnecessary war. Meanwhile, Pakistan's navy is shown to be dispatching PNS Ghazi, a much more advanced submarine than S21 or any other Indian submarine, to sink the sole Indian air-craft carrier, INS Vikrant.
Days pass as S21 does the routine surveillance, but they find nothing. Then suddenly, the get a Sonar signal which comes from a sunk merchant ship, blasted by Ghazi. Arjun goes overboard and saves two survivors, a girl child and a woman(Taapsee Pannu), revealed later to be Bangladeshi refugees.
Here, we are shown that there is a clash of power between Singh and Arjun about how to proceed with the mission. Singh believes that they should track down Ghazi and attack, while Arjun was ordered not to let Singh do so. The ship's XO, Devraj (Atul Kulkarni) tries to make peace between the two men. Devraj needs both Arjun and Singh’s orders for launching torpedo but Arjun does not give his permission because of his orders. Singh then orders Devraj to conduct a drill and target Ghazi while doing so. Devraj orders the crew to do the same since drills can be done under the captain's sole command. They miss their target by 200m and in the process alerting Ghazi to their position. Ghazi's Captain, Razak, orders his crew to head towards Vishakhapatnam port at full speed and to set up mines en-route so that S21 is destroyed in their pursuit.
S21 begins to trace and pursue Ghazi's path and the crew realizes at the last moment that they are headed into mines. It tries to change its course but one of the mine is triggered and explodes. It damages most of the batteries, propellers, and circuits and compartment no.1 (the compartment in which the controls of the front torpedoes) of the submarine is flooded. Some of the crew die and Cap Singh dies while trying to save Arjun and Devraj is also severely injured. S21 sinks to the seabed (400m). Ghazi, with its Sonar unable to detect anything below 300m range, assumes the S21 is completely destroyed.
Meanwhile, the crew members of S21 are regrouping and work towards reviving S21. Arjun, who by now is in charge of the mission,tells the crew to use compressed air to decrease their depth at sea. The crew notice that the propellers are not working, rendering the ship incapable of moving in any direction, except up or down. Since they cannot chase Ghazi, they decide to opt a course of action which forces Ghazi to come back to the point they are stuck at. The S21 crew artificially trigger the remaining Ghazi mine in its vicinity by using the concept of acoustic resonance. S21 then waits for Ghazi to return. As predicted, Ghazi returns to reconnaissance. Razak, sensing that Ghazi could be walking into a trap, diverts the his ship's path and changes the course of approach. Due to this change in course, Ghazi is no longer in S21's torpedo path but S21 instead is now in Ghazi's torpedo path.
Six torpedoes fired by Ghazi are avoided by S21 through simple depth changing maneuvers. Ghazi by now has depleted its aft torpedoes. After Ghazi's sixth aft torpedo is fired, the critically damaged S21 dives to 350m so that it is no longer within Ghazi's Sonar range. This is despite the S21 being only designed for a maximum of 250m depth. S21 also has very limited battery support for it to stay hidden from Ghazi. Captain Razak also decides to play the waiting game, although he is not aware of S21's dire situation. With time running out, Arjun decides to instigate Ghazi into attacking by transmitting his crew singing the Sare Jahan se Accha and the Indian National Anthem. Riled up by S21's defiance, Razak orders another torpedo attack on S21, for which Ghazi will have to turn by 180 degrees so that it can use it's bow torpedoes. Unknown to Razak, with this maneuver Ghazi is now inside S21's extremely restricted aft torpedoes firing path. However, S21's aft torpedoes by now only can be launched manually due to Compartment 1 being totally flooded. Arjun, decides to dive into Compartment 1 to manually trigger the torpedoes, knowing that he might drown in the process. Arjun dives into Compartment 1 and successfully triggers an aft torpedo. Ghazi also launches its bow torpedo at the same time. The Ghazi torpedo misses S21 narrowly, but it is hit by S21 aft torpedo and disintegrates in water, thus ending the stand-off. Arjun is later saved alive from the flooded Compartment 1. The movie ends with XO Devraj waving the national flag on a surfaced S21, signalling an Indian Navy Vessel. The epilogue indicates that the day after the Ghazi incident, Pakistani fighters bomb Indian airfields, marking the beginning of the 1971 Indo-Pak war for liberation of Bangladesh.
Casting and crewEdit
The film stars Rana Daggubati and Taapsee Pannu in the lead along with Kay Kay Menon, Satyadev Kancharana, Atul Kulkarni,Ramanuj Dubey, Kunal Kaushik,Priyadarshi Pulikonda, Rahul Singh, Akshay Mittal, Malyaban Lahiri and Naren Yadav. Cinematography is done by Madhi, music composed by K ,Visual Effects Supervisor Vasudeva R Enugala and editing by Sreeker Prasad.
Indian Navy claims to have sunk the PNS Ghazi on December 4, 1971 at the Vishakhapatnam harbour when then Captain Inder Singh of INS Rajput ordered the attack upon it. However the Pakistani Navy dispute the claim; as Pakistan Navy believes the Submarine must have sunk due to it mistakenly entering its own minefield and collided with one of the mines, which resulted in the explosion.
Ghazi was released worldwide on 17 February 2017. As of February 22, the film has collected ₹ 22.5 crores domestically. (all versions)
- Latha Srinivasan (7 Jan 2016). "Rana Daggubati on India's first Navy film 'Ghazi' and changes in the film industry".
- "Movies to watch out for in 2017". Times of India.
- "Rana Daggubati Started Shooting for India’s First Navy Film ‘Ghazi’". 8 January 2016.
- Datta, Saikat. "What happened to the Pakistani submarine that inspired the movie ‘The Ghazi Attack’?".
- "From ‘Baahubali’ to ‘Ghazi’, Rana Daggubati has come a long way". Times of India.
- "Rana Daggubati begins shooting for ‘Ghazi’". The Indian Express. 7 January 2016.
- "Why Taapsee Pannuis finding 'Ghazi' difficult?". The Times of India.
- "Taapsee Pannu intrigued by ‘Ghazi’". The Indian Express. 18 January 2016.
- "The Ghazi Attack trailer: First underwater war film of India, with Rana Dagg, Om Puri". 11 January 2017.
- "Big B may lend voice for Ghazi".
- "The Ghazi Attack trailer: Rana Daggubati film is a rousing tale of a secret India-Pak war, watch video". 11 January 2017.
- ScoopWhoop (11 January 2017). "The Ghazi Attack: An Indo-Pak War So Deep Underwater That It Never Surfaced In History".
- "Taapsee Pannu taking History lessons for 'Ghazi'". 19 January 2016.
- "The truth behind the Navy's 'sinking' of Ghazi". 26 May 2010.
- "The Ghazi Attack: Why did India destroy records of one of its greatest naval victories - InUth". 13 January 2017.
- "Visakhapatnam: Sunk Pakistani submarine Ghazi is an enigma". Deccan Chronicle.
- Sumit Bhattacharjee. "From a small outpost to a major command". The Hindu.
- S.N.V. SUDHIR (24 November 2015). "Visakhapatnam: Sunk Pakistani submarine Ghazi is an enigma".
- "Rana to act in India's first submarine film". The Times of India.
- "Taapsee to play refugee in Ghazi opposite Rana Daggubati". Deccan Chronicle.
- "Karan Johar to distribute Ghazi".
- "Interview with K - "Aandavan Kattalai is an exciting prospect for me"". Only Kollywood. 18 May 2016.
- IANS (7 January 2016). "Rana Daggubati begins shooting for ‘Ghazi’".
- "I play a Bangladeshi refugee in Ghazi, says Taapsee Pannu". 2 February 2016.
- "Taapsee Pannu intrigued by ‘Ghazi’". 18 January 2016.
- "Kay Kay Menon enters T’wood with Ghazi". 19 Jan 2016.
- "Ghazi turns Satyadev into a sonar operator". 6 February 2016.
- Y. Sunita Chowdhary. "What lies beneath?".
- "Ghazi – Story of unwritten heroes of our country". Top 10 Cinema. 2017-02-11. Retrieved 2017-02-15.
- "The Ghazi Attack on Bhaskar.com". Dainik Bhaskar.
- "Rana Daggubati’s diving expeditions for 1971 war drama, 'Ghazi'".
- "Rana shoots for Ghazi, based on sinking of Pak submarine in 1971". Hindustan Times.
- Goswami, Parismita. "The Ghazi Attack: A few facts that you should know about one of India's greatest naval victories".
- "Karan Johar to distribute Rana Daggubati’s Ghazi in Hindi". 25 October 2016.
- "The Ghazi Attack First Tuesday Business".
- "Jolly LLB 2 Decent Third Weekend - The Ghazi Attack Low".
- "Jolly LLB 2 Third Saturday - The Ghazi Attack Day Nine".
- "taran adarsh on Twitter". Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "The Ghazi Attack box office collection day 4: Rana Daggubati film earns Rs 19.40 cr, torpedoes chances of other films". 20 February 2017. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "The Ghazi Attack". Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "The Ghazi Attack". Retrieved 4 March 2017.