Tengku Muhammad Ismail ibni Al-Wathiqu Billah Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin (born 1 March 1998) is the Yang di-Pertuan Muda (Crown Prince) of Terengganu. He is the son of the current Sultan of Terengganu, Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin and Sultanah Nur Zahirah, the Sultanah of Terengganu. He was also appointed as Regent of the state from 2006 to 2011 during his father's term as Yang di-Pertuan Agong (the elective federation monarch) of Malaysia.
|Tengku Muhammad Ismail|
|Yang di-Pertuan Muda of Terengganu|
|Crown Prince of Terengganu|
|Tenure||12 January 2006 – present|
|Proclamation||12 January 2006|
|Predecessor||Tengku Mizan Zainal Abidin|
|Born||Tengku Muhammad Ismail bin Tengku Mizan Zainal Abidin|
1 March 1998
|Father||Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin|
|Mother||Sultanah Nur Zahirah|
Tengku Muhammad Ismail was born on 1 March 1998 as the eldest son and second child of Tengku Mizan Zainal Abidin, the then Yang di-Pertuan Muda (Crown Prince) of Terengganu and To’ Puan Seri Rozita binti Adil Bakeri. His father became the Sultan of Terengganu shortly after his birth, after which his mother became known as Permaisuri Nur Zahirah (née Rozita binti Adil Bakeri),the Permaisuri of Terengganu.
He was appointed as the Yang di-Pertuan Muda (Crown Prince) of Terengganu on 12 January 2006.
After Sultan Mizan was elected as Yang di-Pertuan Agong, he appointed Tengku Muhammad Ismail, then aged eight, as Regent of Terengganu on 12 November 2006. Because of Tengku Muhammad Ismail's young age, a Regency Advisory Council was established to discharge his duties for him. The council's members were Tengku Baderulzaman, Sultan Mizan's younger brother, Tengku Sulaiman Sultan Ismail, Sultan Mizan's uncle, and Federal Court judge Abdul Kadir Sulaiman. He was proclaimed as regent during a ceremony on 12 December.
On 26 August 2010, upon reaching age 12 (baligh, the Islamic age of puberty), Tengku Muhammad Ismail was formally proclaimed as Regent during a ceremony at Istana Maziah. A Regency Representative Council was formed to discharge his duties as regent while he left the country to pursue his studies. The council consisted of Sultan Mizan's brother Tengku Mustaffa Kamel, and previous members of the Regency Advisory Council, Tengku Sulaiman and Abdul Kadir Sulaiman.
Like his father, Tengku Muhammad Ismail is an equestrian, and has participated in international events. In June 2010, he finished in second place in the 90 km race at the RTES/D'Armor French Open in Corlay.
|Ancestors of Tengku Muhammad Ismail|
- Chok Suat Ling; Rosli Zakaria (28 February 1999). "Selangor and Terengganu Sultans' profiles". New Straits Times. National p. 3.
- "8-year-old prince made the regent". New Straits Times. 13 December 2006. Local p. 7.
- Ng, Eileen (4 June 2011). "People's welfare comes first". New Straits Times. p. 1.
- "Sultan Mizan moved to tears at ceremony". The Star. 13 December 2006. Archived from the original on 27 January 2009. Retrieved 8 June 2011.
- "Ahmad to unveil line-up this week". New Straits Times. 31 March 2008. Local p. 2.
- "Tengku Muhammad dimasyhur Pemangku Raja Terengganu". Utusan Malaysia. 31 August 2010. Retrieved 19 December 2011.
- "Equestrian: Terengganu regent rides high". New Straits Times. 23 June 2010. Retrieved 8 June 2011.[permanent dead link]