Sultanah Nur Zahirah (Jawi: سلطانة نور ظاهرة; née Rozita binti Adil Bakeri; born 7 December 1973) is the current Sultanah of Terengganu. She was the 13th Raja Permaisuri Agong (Queen Consort) of Malaysia from 2006 to 2011.
|Sultanah of Terengganu|
|Raja Permaisuri Agong|
|Tenure||13 December 2006 – 12 December 2011|
|Installation||26 April 2007|
|Sultanah of Terengganu|
|Tenure||12 July 1998 – present|
|Coronation||4 March 1999|
|Predecessor||Tengku Ampuan Bariah (as Tengku Ampuan Besar)|
|Born||7 December 1973|
Alor Star, Kedah, Malaysia
|House||Bendahara dynasty (by marriage)|
|Mother||Nur Rahmah binti Haji Mohd Zain|
Early life edit
Born Rozita binti Adil Bakeri on 7 December 1973 in Alor Star, Kedah, Malaysia. She received her primary school education at Sekolah Rendah Jenis Kebangsaan St. Nicholas' Convent, and her secondary school education at Sekolah Menengah St. Nicholas' Convent, both in Alor Star, Kedah, where she was a student librarian and Girl Guides member. She also attended a course in the field of human resources.
Royal life edit
She was accorded the title of Permaisuri Nur Zahirah, the Permaisuri of Terengganu on 19 July 1998, after Sultan Mizan was proclaimed as the Sultan of Terengganu. Later, her title was changed to Sultanah Nur Zahirah, the Sultanah of Terengganu on 5 June 2006 in accordance with the Sultan's wishes.
She was conferred the dignitary titles of the Darjah Kerabat Terengganu Yang Maha Mulia Darjah Yang Pertama (D.K.) known as Order of Royal Family on 16 January 1999 and Bintang Kebesaran Darjah Seri Setia Sultan Mahmud Terengganu Yang Amat Terpuji (S.S.M.T.) or Grand Companion of the Order of Sultan Mahmud I of Terengganu on 9 July 1998. The most recent dignitary title awarded to Her Majesty Seri Paduka Baginda Raja Permaisuri Agong was the Darjah Utama Seri Mahkota Negara (D.M.N.) – Grand Order of Nation Crown on 5 April 2007.
Family life edit
The royal couple have four children:
- Her Highness Tengku Nadhirah Zahrah, the Tengku Puteri Utama Raja (born 18 December 1996).
- His Royal Highness Tengku Muhammad Ismail, the Yang di-Pertuan Muda of Terengganu (born 1 March 1998).
- His Highness Tengku Muhammad Mua′az, the Tengku Sri Setia Mahkota Raja (born 22 December 2000).
- Her Highness Tengku Fatimatuz Zahra’, the Tengku Puteri Daulath Raja (born 19 April 2002).
Hobbies and Interests edit
The Queen loves interior decoration and does much of the interior design at the palace. She loves to cook, especially dishes that are the favourites of her husband and family. Tuanku Nur Zahirah also loves to read books, specially concerning intelligence quotient and emotional quotient. The Sultanah is also interested in martial arts, as the activity keeps a person body fit and trim. She spends her free time by taking part in exercises such as aerobics. She also likes strenuous sports, such as endurance horse riding, which is the favourite of the Sultan. The Sultanah is her husband's number one supporter when he takes part in such races locally or overseas.
Social Contribution edit
She played a major role during the Humanitarian response to the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake by collecting donations which were successfully distributed to victims through both the Acheh and Kedah governments. The list of generosity of the Seri Paduka Baginda Tuanku includes involving herself with programmes to assist the poor and those with special needs.
In 2006, the Yayasan DiRaja Sultan Mizan, a local foundation of the Royal Family of Terengganu, represented by the queen distributed milk bottle especially for cleft-lipped babies, breast pumps for mothers and related devices to help people with eyesight problems through Hospital Sultanah Nur Zahirah.
She is the patron of various organisations, uniformed bodies and educational institutions in the Terengganu State. The organisations under the Sultanah consist of:
- Majlis Kebajikan dan Pembangunan Masyarakat (for social welfare and development).
- Pertubuhan Kebajikan Anak Yatim Terengganu (known as PERKAYA for the welfare of orphans).
- Persatuan Hospis Terengganu.
- Persatuan Ibu Bapa dan Guru SK Pusat Bukit Besar, Terengganu.
- Girl Guide Association of Terengganu.
Another important accomplishment is the Tadika An Nur, a well established pre-school in Terengganu pioneered by Seri Paduka Baginda Tuanku. This pre-school prospered when she planned to give an early form of education for her children. She is currently the Patron of Tadika An Nur which has now been opened to the public.
Awards and recognitions edit
Tuanku Nur Zahirah was conferred with an honorary doctorate in management at a special convocation of Universiti Malaysia Terengganu in 2006. She received the degree from Tuanku Mizan, who was the university's chancellor. In her speech at the event, she urged the people of Terengganu to take the initiative to emulate the excellent accomplishments of past Muslim scholars in fields of knowledge, especially in science and technology.
She was awarded:
Terengganu honours edit
- Member Grand Companion of the Order of Sultan Mahmud I of Terengganu (SSMT) – Dato' Seri (9 July 1998)
- First Class of the Family Order of Terengganu (DK I) (16 January 1999)
- Knight Grand Companion of the Order of Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin of Terengganu (SSMZ) – Dato' Seri (6 July 2001)
Malaysian honours edit
- Malaysia :
- Kedah :
Foreign honours edit
Places named after her edit
Several places were named after her, including:
- Sultanah Nur Zahirah Hospital in Kuala Terengganu, Terengganu
- Sultanah Nur Zahirah Mosque in Marang, Terengganu
- SK Permaisuri Nur Zahirah, a primary school in Besut, Terengganu
- SMK Permaisuri Nur Zahirah, a secondary school in Besut, Terengganu
Sultanah Nur Zahirah is the second Raja Permaisuri Agong after Permaisuri Siti Aishah of Selangor who wears the headscarf (tudong) on a daily basis. She is also the third commoner to become the Raja Permaisuri Agong, after Tuanku Bainun binti Mohamad Ali of Perak and Tuanku Permaisuri Siti Aishah of Selangor.
See also edit
- "Teachers remember Queen with pride". New Straits Times. 14 December 2006. p. 6.
- Unisza Archived 3 September 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "Senarai Penuh Penerima Darjah Kebesaran, Bintang dan Pingat Persekutuan Tahun 2007" (PDF).
- List of consorts of Malay rulers (as of February 2013) with details of orders
- Kind, gentle queen, The Star, 26 April 2007.