tevyası: tevya: spruce or bimah?Edit
The original version of this article was written in Turkish (!) and included this sentence:
- Portatif olan tevyası hekal duvarına kaldırılıp tora dolabı ile bütünleştirilmiştir.
Thetranslated this sentence to
- The portable tevya of Synagogue coalesce with tora cabinet.
This was later revised to
I was suspicious of the word tevya to refer to the bimah, so I attempted to use Google Translate to find Turkish or Hebrew word like tevya for any of the words (stage, lectern, dais, podium, platform) and failing this, I used Google translate from Turkish to English and found olan tevyası translates to "spruce" and hekal duvarına translates to "wall". So,to
- The portable spruce wall of the synagogue merges with the torah ark.
But then while editing Bema I found
- Among the Sephardim, it is known as a tevah (literally 'box, case' in Hebrew) or migdal-etz ('tower of wood').
- Steinmetz, Sol (2005). Dictionary of Jewish Usage. Rowman & Littlefield. ISBN 978-0-7425-4387-4.
- Joseph Gutmann (1983). Iconography of Religions: The Jewish sanctuary. Brill. p. 15. ISBN 90-04-06893-7.
- Wischnitzer, Rachel (1964). The architecture of the European synagogoue. Jewish Publication Society of America. p. 34.
- Among Ashkenazim it is called a bimah, and among Sephardim, a tevah.
- Later Sephardi structures in Holland England and featured a bimah (called tevah) which ...
Wischnitzer's book does not include the word teva or tevya according to a search on the Google Boooks page.
The original Turkish source for this mysterious sentence is
- "Sinyora Giveret Havrası" [Sinyora Giveret Synagogue] (in Turkish). İzmir Provincial Culture and Tourism Directorate.
which includes this sentence:
- 20. yy'da İtalyan etkisi ile uygulamaya başlanan yeni plan şeması Sinyara Giveret Havrasında da denenmiştir, portatif olan tevyası hekal duvarına kaldırılıp tora dolabı ile bütünleştirilmiştir.
which Google Translate renders as:
- The new plan scheme, which was introduced in the 20th century with Italian influence, was also tried in the Sinara Giveret Havaş, portable tevi has been removed to the wall of the hekkal and integrated with the tora cabinet.