Swimming at the 2008 Summer Olympics – Men's 200 metre freestyle
|Men's 200 metre freestyle|
at the Games of the XXIX Olympiad
|Venue||Beijing National Aquatics Center|
|Date||August 10, 2008 (heats)|
August 11, 2008 (semifinals)
August 12, 2008 (final)
|Competitors||58 from 50 nations|
|Winning time||1:42.96 WR|
After winning a bronze in Athens four years earlier, Michael Phelps blasted a new world record of 1:42.96 to claim his third straight gold, ninth career, and eleventh overall medal at the Olympics. South Korea's Park Tae-Hwan added a silver to his collection, following an unprecedented triumph in the 400 m freestyle two days earlier. He established a new Asian record of 1:44.85 to clear a 1:45 barrier, and used a final-lap split of 26.17 to edge out Phelps' teammate Peter Vanderkaay, who took home a bronze medal in a personal best of 1:45.14.
South Africa's Jean Basson finished fourth with a time of 1:45.97, and was followed in the fifth spot by Germany's Paul Biedermann in 1:46.00. Switzerland's Dominik Meichtry, who raced to a top seed in the prelims, earned a sixth spot in 1:46.95, while Japan's Yoshihiro Okumura (1:47.14) and Great Britain's Robbie Renwick (1:47.47) rounded out the finale. Renwick missed out the semifinals by 0.01 of a second from the prelims, but was offered a second shot, following a sudden withdrawal of two swimmers. Canada's Brent Hayden and France's Amaury Leveaux later scratched the event to focus on their duty in the 4 × 100 m freestyle relay.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Michael Phelps (USA)||1:43.86||Melbourne, Australia||27 March 2007|
|Olympic record||Ian Thorpe (AUS)||1:44.71||Athens, Greece||16 August 2004|
The following new world and Olympic records were set during this competition.
|August 12||Final||Michael Phelps||United States||1:42.96||WR, OR|
|1||4||Jean Basson||South Africa||1:46.13||Q|
|3||2||Ross Davenport||Great Britain||1:47.35|
|1||7||Peter Vanderkaay||United States||1:45.76||Q|
|2||3||Park Tae-Hwan||South Korea||1:45.99||Q, AS|
|3||5||Michael Phelps||United States||1:46.28||Q|
|7||8||Robbie Renwick||Great Britain||1:47.07||Q|
|8||1||Nimrod Shapira Bar-Or||Israel||1:48.16|
|6||Michael Phelps||United States||1:42.96||WR|
|5||Park Tae-Hwan||South Korea||1:44.85||AS|
|4||Peter Vanderkaay||United States||1:45.14|
|4||3||Jean Basson||South Africa||1:45.97|
|8||8||Robbie Renwick||Great Britain||1:47.47|
- "Olympic Swimming Schedule". USA Today. 9 August 2008. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- Lohn, John (11 August 2008). "Michael Phelps Sets World Record in 200 Free Win". Swimming World Magazine. Archived from the original on 26 February 2013. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "Phelps breaks 200 free world record by nearly a second". ESPN. 11 August 2008. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- Coffey, Wayne (11 August 2008). "Michael Phelps wins third gold medal, sets record in 200-meter freestyle". New York Daily News. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- Ross, Jack (26 August 2008). "Dominik Meichtry Leaves Beijing Having Accomplished The Rarest of Feats: He Beat Michael Phelps-Sort Of". The Daily Californian. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "Rebecca Adlington wins 400 metres freestyle gold for Great Britain – Beijing Olympics 2008". The Daily Telegraph. 11 August 2008. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- Clarey, Christopher (28 March 2007). "In night of world records, Phelps leaves biggest ripple in the pool". The New York Times. Retrieved 6 August 2008.