Students' Federation of India
The Students' Federation of India is an Indian student organisation affiliated to the Communist Party of India (Marxist). Currently, V. P. Sanu is the National President and Mayukh Biswas is the National General Secretary.
The Students' Federation of India emblem
|Full name||Students' Federation of India|
|Motto||Independence, Democracy, Socialism|
|Members||4.3 million (as of 2014-15)|
|Key people||V. P. Sanu (President)|
Mayukh Biswas (General Secretary)
The organization was formed when students assembled in Calcutta and decided to form a new organization for the purpose of bringing students from across the country together. The student leaders originally intended to lead discussions on issues including radical education reform, employment, safeguarding, and the expansion of democratic rights.
The Students' Federation of India in 2017 lead the student unions of universities in Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Rajasthan, Gujarat, West Bengal, Tripura, Assam, Odisha, Maharashtra, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Kerala. It has an international affiliation from the World Federation of Democratic Youths.
The SFI's flag has a red five-pointed, socialist-style star in the top left corners, on a white background and the words "Independence", "Democracy" and "Socialism" are written, in English or in a local language, one beneath the other, at the bottom right of the flag, also in red. The ratio of length and breadth of the flag is 3:2.
SFI has been in the news due to various violent incidents on university and college campuses:
- 12 July 2019 : Four Students Federation of India (SFI) leaders, accused of stabbing a student inside the University College Thiruvananthapuram campus were arrested. Akhil, a third year Political Science student, who was sitting under a tree along with friends, was stabbed on the chest.
- 27 November 2019: In University College, Nithin Raj is a member of the college's newly formed KSU (National Students' Union of India 's Kerala wing) unit was brutally thrashed by a SFI district leader S N Mahesh. 
- 18 December 2019: Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad activists were attacked by supporters of Students Federation of India (SFI) inside the campus of Sree Kerala Varma College in Thrissur.
- 25 December 2019: In a serious security breach, a group of activists of ruling CPM’s student wing SFI attacked the convoy of Karnataka chief minister B. S. Yediyurappa in Kannur in northern Kerala.
- 08 January 2020 : BJP's Swapan Dasgupta, Visva-Bharati University Chancellor Bidyut Chakraborty and several others were confined to a room on the Santiniketan campus for over seven hours by members of the SFI who protested the university’s decision to invite Dasgupta to deliver a lecture on the Citizenship (Amendment) Act,2019.
- 20 January 2020: Students of the Cochin University of Science and Technology staged a protest in front of the administrative block of the university on Monday seeking action against two campus leaders of the SFI, alleging they made an attempt to kill a student.
- "Membership". SFICEC. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- "SFI All India Conference: 'Save education, Save India and Defeat Communalism'". NewsD. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- "History_of_SFI" (PDF).
- "State Committees". www.sficec.org. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- "JNUSU Election Results 2017: Left Alliance Leading As Counting Is Underway; 10 Points". NDTV.com. Retrieved 9 September 2017.
- User, Super. "Constitution". www.sficec.org. Retrieved 9 September 2017.
- Jul 13, TNN | Updated:; 2019; Ist, 9:42. "Kerala student stabbed by SFI activists on university campus | Thiruvananthapuram News - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 23 January 2020.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "4 SFI Leaders Held for Stabbing Student in Thiruvananthapuram College". News18. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- "Ex-SFI leader nabbed for attacking KSU man". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- "Kerala's University College student thrown out of hostel window, SFI member accused". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- World, Republic. "ABVP worker thrashed by SFI members in Kerala for putting forth his views on CAA". Republic World. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- Agencies (24 December 2019). "SFI, DYFI activists try to block Yediyurappa's car in Kerala". www.millenniumpost.in. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- "BS Yeddyurappa's convoy attacked in Kannur". The Asian Age. 25 December 2019. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- "Swapan Dasgupta's lecture on CAA stalled by SFI protest at Kolkata's Visva Bharati University, students say won't allow anyone who 'promotes hatred'". Firstpost. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- "Protesting students from Visva Bharati confine BJP's Swapan Dasgupta to room for hours". The Indian Express. 9 January 2020. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- "BJP MP Swapan Dasgupta Locked Up By Students In Bengal For 6 Hours". Google News. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- "Protest at Cusat after car of SFI leader rams student". The Hindu. Special Correspondent. 20 January 2020. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 22 January 2020.CS1 maint: others (link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Students' Federation of India.|