Stara Gradiška (pronounced [stâːraː ɡrǎdiʃka], German: Altgradisch) is a village and a municipality in Slavonia, in the Brod-Posavina County of Croatia. It is located on the left bank of the river Sava, across from Gradiška in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
|Općina Stara Gradiška|
Municipality of Stara Gradiška
|• Mayor||Velimir Paušić|
|• Total||77.11 km2 (29.77 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
The first word in the name means Old as there's also a New Gradiška nearby, the town of Nova Gradiška.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (March 2013)
Until 1918, Stara Gradiška (then Alt-Gradiska) was part of the Habsburg Monarchy (Kingdom of Croatia-Slavonia after the compromise of 1867), in the Croatia-Slavonia Military Border District. The post-office was opened in 1859.
The place is well known for the Stara Gradiška prison and Stara Gradiška concentration camp. The municipality is home to the cultural organization KUD Posavina. It celebrates the feast of St. Michael as its municipal day. Stara Gradiška is underdeveloped municipality which is statistically classified as the First Category Area of Special State Concern by the Government of Croatia.
- Općina Stara Gradiška Archived 2008-10-28 at the Wayback Machine
- "Općine na područjima posebne državne skrbi Republike Hrvatske" (PDF). Croatian Chamber of Economy. Retrieved 21 April 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Population by Age and Sex, by Settlements, 2011 Census: Stara Gradiška". Census of Population, Households and Dwellings 2011. Zagreb: Croatian Bureau of Statistics. December 2012.
- Handbook of Austria and Lombardy-Venetia Cancellations on the Postage Stamp Issues 1850-1864, by Edwin MUELLER, 1961
- KUD Posavina
- STARA GRADIŠKA 2008.[permanent dead link]
- Lovrinčević, Željko; Davor, Mikulić; Budak, Jelena (June 2004). "AREAS OF SPECIAL STATE CONCERN IN CROATIA- REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT DIFFERENCES AND THE DEMOGRAPHIC AND EDUCATIONAL CHARACTERISTICS". Ekonomski pregled, Vol.55 No.5-6. Archived from the original on 2018-08-18. Retrieved 25 August 2018.