Shannon Ashley Garcia Mitchell (born April 10, 1987) is a Canadian actress, model, entrepreneur and author. She rose to prominence starring as Emily Fields in the Freeform series Pretty Little Liars (2010–2017). In 2018, Mitchell starred as Peach Salinger in the psychological thriller series You, and headlined the horror film The Possession of Hannah Grace.
Shay Mitchell at the 2019 iHeartRadio Music Awards
Shannon Ashley Garcia Mitchell
April 10, 1987
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Mitchell was born in Mississauga, Ontario, the daughter of Precious Garcia and Mark Mitchell. Her parents work in finance. Her father is of Scottish and Irish descent and her mother, who is Filipino, is from the province of Pampanga, and left the Philippines at age 19. She has one younger brother named Sean. She is a first cousin-once-removed of Lea Salonga, a singer and Tony Award-winning theater actress well known for originating the lead role of Kim in the musical Miss Saigon. Even as a young child, Mitchell was interested in performing arts, declaring to her parents that she would pursue such a career. Mitchell began dance lessons at the age of five, and she and several of her classmates toured the city to compete with a variety of other dance schools. At the age of 10, Mitchell's family moved to West Vancouver, British Columbia. Within a year of their arrival, an international modeling agency held an open casting call for teen and pre-teen girls who were vying for representation. Mitchell was one of the girls selected. She attended Rockridge Secondary School and then later transferred to West Vancouver Secondary School where she graduated. She got the nickname Shay because she is a big fan of Jennifer Lopez aka J. Lo, so her friends called her "Shay Lo".
Acting and modeling
By her late teens, Mitchell had successfully modeled for a variety of companies in cities as varied as Bangkok, Hong Kong and Barcelona, but she later returned to Toronto to study acting. After signing with her first theatrical agency Mitchell appeared in the Canadian teen drama series Degrassi: The Next Generation and booked several national commercials. Mitchell guest starred in the Global series Rookie Blue and appeared in the music video for "Hold My Hand" by Jamaican rapper Sean Paul. In 2010, Mitchell appeared in a four-episode arc on the Disney XD series Aaron Stone as cheerleader Irina Webber.
In December 2009, Mitchell was cast in the ABC Family (now Freeform) planned adaptation of the book series Pretty Little Liars. Initially, Mitchell auditioned for the role of Spencer Hastings. On January 2010, Pretty Little Liars was picked up by ABC Family. The series centers on four friends up against an anonymous foe who threatens to reveal all their secrets whist unraveling the mystery of the murder of their best friend. Mitchell portrays the role of Emily Fields, the "jock girl" of the group. The program gained quick popularity despite mixed critical reviews. The show ran for seven seasons and the series finale aired June 27, 2017.
In January 2011, Mitchell signed a contract with Procter & Gamble to be the spokesperson for the Pantene Nature Fusion shampoo line. Subsequent endorsements include American Eagle, Nike and Biore.
In August 2017, Mitchell was cast in a starring role on the former Lifetime television series You, in the role of socialite Peach Salinger which was released in September 2018. On December 3, 2018, it was announced that You would move to Netflix as a "Netflix Original" title, ahead of the premiere of the second season. In September 2017, she was cast in the lead role in the ABC television pilot, The Heiresses, adapted from the book with the same name from Sara Shepard and created by I. Marlene King.
Mitchell co-authored the young adult novel Bliss with Michaela Blaney (2015). She also hosts her own YouTube lifestyle channel.   In 2017, Mitchell started a production company Amore & Vita Inc. with manager David Dean Portelli and has already signed a contract with Warner Bros. Television Group.
Charity and activism
Mitchell supported Somaly Mam Foundation, a non-profit organization that fought sex trafficking until it ended operations in 2014. She has also worked with The Trevor Project alongside the Pretty Little Liars cast and the NOH8 Campaign. She works with the WE Charity, which helps communities develop educational resources, and she partnered with Represent Clothing to promote tees where half the proceeds went to GLAAD.
On January 1, 2019, Mitchell revealed on her Instagram profile that she had suffered a miscarriage in 2018. On June 28, 2019, Mitchell revealed on her Instagram account and her YouTube channel that she was expecting her first child with her partner Matte Babel.
|2012||Just Yell Fire: Campus Life||Herself||Short documentary|
|2014||Immediately Afterlife||Marissa||Short film|
|2018||The Possession of Hannah Grace||Megan Reed|
|2009||Degrassi: The Next Generation||Model||Episode: "Up Where We Belong"|
|2010–2017||Pretty Little Liars||Emily Fields||Main role|
|2010||Aaron Stone||Irina Webber||4 episodes|
|2010||Rookie Blue||Cute Girl||Episode: "Mercury Retrograde"|
|2012||Punk'd||Herself||Episode: "Heather Morris"|
|2012||Glee||Girl in Yellow Jacket||Episode: "Britney 2.0"|
|2015||Project Runway||Herself||Guest judge; episode: "Fashion Week: Who's In and Who's Out"|
|2016||Live! With Kelly and Michael||Herself||Guest co-hostess; episode: "Guest Co-Hostess Shay Mitchell/Donnie Wahlberg/Tim Daly"|
|2017||Shay Mitchell: Chapters||Herself||Fullscreen Original Series|
|2018||RuPaul's Drag Race: All Stars||Herself||Guest judge; episode: "Pop Art Ball"|
|2018||You||Peach Salinger||Main role (season 1)|
|TBA||Dollface||Stella Cole||Main role, upcoming Hulu series|
|2009||"Hold My Hand"||Sean Paul|||
|2016||"Under You"||Nick Jonas|||
|2017||"Help Me Help You"||Logan Paul featuring Why Don't We|||
|2018||"In My Feelings"||Drake|||
Awards and nominations
This section about a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|2011||Pretty Little Liars||Young Hollywood Awards||Cast to Watch (shared with Troian Bellisario, Lucy Hale and Ashley Benson)||Won|
|Youth Rock Award||Rockin’ TV Actress||Nominated|||
|2014||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Summer TV Star – Female||Nominated|
|2015||MTV Fandom Awards||Ship Of The Year (shared with Sasha Pieterse)||Nominated|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actress: Drama||Nominated|
|2016||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Summer TV Star – Female||Nominated|
|People's Choice Awards||Favorite Cable TV Actress||Nominated|||
|2017||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actress: Drama||Nominated|
|Choice TV Ship (shared with Sasha Pieterse)||Nominated|
|2018||Herself||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Web Star: Fashion/Beauty||Nominated|
- "The Filipino in Shay Mitchell". philstar.com. Retrieved January 17, 2019.
- "YouTube". youtube.com. Retrieved June 15, 2018.
- Benson, Ashley (April 10, 2013). "Happy birthday to my gum drop @shaymitch". Twitter. Retrieved June 14, 2013.
- Mitchell, Shay (April 10, 2016). "I mean is anyone really shocked at this pretty little cake?! This day feels surreal for many reasons but the fact that I'm doing press for my first movie, "Mother's Day", on my 29th birthday feels just right...lets do this!!!". Instagram. Retrieved April 10, 2016.[permanent dead link]
- Hudson, Kathryn (June 4, 2013). "ELLE Canada interview: Shay Mitchell". ELLE Canada. Retrieved August 16, 2016.
- Tomada, Nathalie (January 7, 2013). "The Filipino in Shay Mitchell". The Philippine Star. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- Tibajia, Chonx (March 13, 2013). "Pretty Shay Mitchell is no little liar". The Philippine Star. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- Mitchell, Shay (August 21, 2012). "Yes my little brother 'Sean' @CrookedBeatz ;) RT @__SwagOnLou__: @shaymitch #PPLayWithShay do you have any brother or sister?:) x". Twitter. Retrieved February 2, 2018.
- Hogan, Heather (July 26, 2010). "An interview with Shay Mitchell". AfterEllen. Archived from the original on August 19, 2012. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- "Shay Mitchell". shaymitchell.org. Archived from the original on May 30, 2015. Retrieved September 8, 2014.
- "Shay Mitchell Bio". kidzworld. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- "Emily Fields played by Shay Mitchell". abcfamily.go.com. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- "Tuesday Cable: Justified Finale & Law & Order:CI Flat, Plus Deadliest Catch, The Hills, WWE NXT". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. June 9, 2010. Retrieved September 4, 2013.
- Bricker, Tierney (January 6, 2011). "'Pretty Little Liars' star Shay Mitchell is Pantene's new spokesperson". zap2it.com. Archived from the original on March 15, 2011. Retrieved March 12, 2011.
- Andreeva, Nellie (August 14, 2017). "'Pretty Little Liars' Alum Shay Mitchell Inks Pod Deal With Warner Bros. TV; Set To Co-Star In 'You' Lifetime Series". Deadline. Retrieved April 9, 2018.
- Highfill, Samantha (March 15, 2018). "Lifetime announces fall premiere date for YOU starring Penn Badgley". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- Highfill, Samantha (April 10, 2018). "Love turns into obsession in the first trailer for YOU starring Penn Badgley". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- Lesley, Golberg (December 3, 2018). "Greg Berlanti's You Moves to Netflix as Lifetime Bails on Season 2". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 21, 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie (September 29, 2017). "The Heiresses Family Soap Starring Shay Mitchell From PLL's Marlene King & Sara Shepard Set At ABC As Put Pilot". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 10, 2017.
- Reilly, Phoebe. "#LifeGoals Pretty Little Liar's Shay Mitchell talks about her exciting next steps". Self Magazine (November 2016). Conde Nast.
- "Shay Mitchell". YouTube.
- Otterson, Joe (August 14, 2017). "'Pretty Little Liars' Alum Shay Mitchell Sets Overall Deal at Warner Bros. TV, Joins Lifetime Series 'You'". Retrieved June 15, 2018.
- Hudson, Kathryn. "ELLE Canada interview: Shay Mitchell". Elle Canada. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- Brown, Geoffrey (March 1, 2012). "Interview: Shay Mitchell of 'Pretty Little Liars'". Out. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- Bailey, Alyssa (June 28, 2019). "Shay Mitchell Announces She's Pregnant With Her First Child". ELLE. Archived from the original on June 28, 2019. Retrieved June 28, 2019.
- Juneau, Jen (June 28, 2019). "Shay Mitchell Is Pregnant! Actress Expecting First Child Five Months After Revealing Miscarriage". PEOPLE.com. Archived from the original on June 28, 2019. Retrieved June 28, 2019.
- Petski, Denise (April 10, 2019). "'Dollface': Shay Mitchell Joins Hulu Series In Recasting". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 10, 2019.
- "Sean Paul – Hold My Hand (Official Video)". YouTube. Retrieved December 9, 2018.
- "Nick Jonas – Under You". YouTube. Retrieved December 9, 2018.
- "Logan Paul – Help Me Help You ft. Why Don't We (Official Video)". YouTube. Retrieved December 9, 2018.
- DrakeVEVO (August 2, 2018), Drake - In My Feelings, retrieved March 4, 2019
- "Ashley Benson wins 2011 Youth Rock Award For Best Actress" Announced". Youth Rock Awards. December 8, 2011. Retrieved November 29, 2016.
- "People's Choice Awards: Fan Favorites in Movies, Music & TV – PeoplesChoice.com". Peopleschoice.com. Retrieved November 4, 2016.