Shannon Ashley Garcia Mitchell (born 10 April 1987) is a Canadian actress, model, entrepreneur and author. She rose to prominence starring as Emily Fields in the ABC Family/Freeform series Pretty Little Liars (2010–2017). In 2018, Mitchell starred as Peach Salinger in the psychological thriller series You, and headlined the horror film The Possession of Hannah Grace.
Mitchell in 2012
Shannon Ashley Garcia Mitchell
10 April 1987
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Mitchell was born in Mississauga, Ontario, the daughter of Precious Garcia and Mark Mitchell. Her parents work in finance. Her father is of Scottish and Irish descent and her mother, who is Filipino, is from the province of Pampanga, and left the Philippines at age 19. She has one younger brother named Sean. She is a first cousin-once-removed of Lea Salonga, a singer and Tony Award-winning theater actress well known for originating the lead role of Kim in the musical Miss Saigon. Even as a young child, Mitchell was interested in performing arts, declaring to her parents that she would pursue such a career. Mitchell began dance lessons at the age of five, and she and several of her classmates toured the city to compete with a variety of other dance schools. At the age of 10, Mitchell's family moved to West Vancouver, British Columbia. Within a year of their arrival, an international modeling agency held an open casting call for teen and pre-teen girls who were vying for representation. Mitchell was one of the girls selected. She attended Rockridge Secondary School and then later transferred to West Vancouver Secondary School where she graduated. She got the nickname Shay because she is a big fan of Jennifer Lopez aka J. Lo, so her friends called her "Shay Lo".
Acting and modellingEdit
By her late teens, Mitchell had successfully modeled for a variety of companies in cities as varied as Bangkok, Hong Kong and Barcelona, but she later returned to Toronto to study acting. After signing with her first theatrical agency Mitchell appeared in the Canadian teen drama series Degrassi: The Next Generation and booked several national commercials. Mitchell guest starred in the Global series Rookie Blue and appeared in the music video for "Hold My Hand" by Jamaican rapper Sean Paul. In 2010, Mitchell appeared in a four-episode arc on the Disney XD series Aaron Stone as cheerleader Irina Webber.
In December 2009, Mitchell was cast in the ABC Family (now Freeform) planned adaptation of the book series Pretty Little Liars. Initially, Mitchell auditioned for the role of Spencer Hastings. On January 2010, Pretty Little Liars was picked up by ABC Family. The series centers on four friends up against an anonymous foe who threatens to reveal all their secrets whist unraveling the mystery of the murder of their best friend. Mitchell portrays the role of Emily Fields, the "jock girl" of the group. The program gained quick popularity despite mixed critical reviews. The show ran for seven seasons and the series finale aired 27 June 2017.
In January 2011, Mitchell signed a contract with Procter & Gamble to be the spokesperson for the Pantene Nature Fusion shampoo line. Subsequent endorsements include American Eagle, Nike and Biore.
In August 2017, Mitchell was cast in a starring role on the former Lifetime television series You, in the role of socialite Peach Salinger which was released in September 2018. On 3 December 2018, it was announced that You would move to Netflix as a "Netflix Original" title, ahead of the premiere of the second season. In September 2017, she was cast in the lead role in the ABC television pilot, The Heiresses, adapted from the book with the same name from Sara Shepard and created by I. Marlene King.
Mitchell co-authored the young adult novel Bliss with Michaela Blaney (2015). She also hosts her own YouTube lifestyle channel. In 2017, Mitchell started a production company Amore & Vita Inc. with manager David Dean Portelli and has already signed a contract with Warner Bros. Television Group.
Charity and activismEdit
Mitchell supported Somaly Mam Foundation, a non-profit organization that fought sex trafficking until it ended operations in 2014. She has also worked with The Trevor Project alongside the Pretty Little Liars cast and the NOH8 Campaign. She works with the WE Charity, which helps communities develop educational resources, and she partnered with Represent Clothing to promote tees where half the proceeds went to GLAAD.
On 1 January 2019, Mitchell revealed on her Instagram profile that she had suffered a miscarriage in 2018. On 28 June 2019, Mitchell revealed on her Instagram account and her YouTube channel that she was expecting her first child, a baby girl, with her partner Matte Babel. On 20 October 2019, she announced the birth of her daughter on social media, with an image of her holding the baby's hand. 
|2012||Just Yell Fire: Campus Life||Herself||Short documentary|
|2014||Immediately Afterlife||Marissa||Short film|
|2018||The Possession of Hannah Grace||Megan Reed|
|2009||Degrassi: The Next Generation||Model||Episode: "Up Where We Belong"|
|2010–2017||Pretty Little Liars||Emily Fields||Main role|
|2010||Aaron Stone||Irina Webber||4 episodes|
|2010||Rookie Blue||Cute Girl||Episode: "Mercury Retrograde"|
|2012||Punk'd||Herself||Episode: "Heather Morris"|
|2012||Glee||Girl in Yellow Jacket||Episode: "Britney 2.0"|
|2015||Project Runway||Herself||Guest judge; episode: "Fashion Week: Who's In and Who's Out"|
|2017||Shay Mitchell: Chapters||Herself||Fullscreen Original Series|
|2018||RuPaul's Drag Race: All Stars||Herself||Guest judge; episode: "Pop Art Ball"|
|2018||You||Peach Salinger||Main role (season 1)|
|2019||Almost Ready||Herself||YouTube Originals Series|
|TBA||Dollface||Stella Cole||Main role, upcoming Hulu series|
|2009||"Hold My Hand"||Sean Paul|||
|2016||"Under You"||Nick Jonas|||
|2017||"Help Me Help You"||Logan Paul featuring Why Don't We|||
Awards and nominationsEdit
This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|2011||Pretty Little Liars||Young Hollywood Awards||Cast to Watch (shared with Troian Bellisario, Lucy Hale and Ashley Benson)||Won|
|Youth Rock Award||Rockin' TV Actress||Nominated|||
|2014||Pretty Little Liars||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Summer TV Star – Female||Nominated|
|2015||Pretty Little Liars||MTV Fandom Awards||Ship Of The Year (shared with Sasha Pieterse)||Nominated|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actress: Drama||Nominated|
|2016||Pretty Little Liars||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Summer TV Star – Female||Nominated|
|People's Choice Awards||Favorite Cable TV Actress||Nominated|||
|2017||Pretty Little Liars||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actress: Drama||Nominated|
|Choice TV Ship (shared with Sasha Pieterse)||Nominated|
|2018||Herself||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Web Star: Fashion/Beauty||Nominated|
- "Shay Mitchell's Birthday Instagram Celebrated Her Mom". Teen Vogue.
- Tomada, Nathalie (7 January 2013). "The Filipino in Shay Mitchell". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 2 October 2019.
- unknown. Retrieved 15 June 2018 – via YouTube.[dead link]
- Benson, Ashley [@AshBenzo] (10 April 2013). "Happy birthday to my gum drop @shaymitch" (Tweet). Retrieved 14 June 2013 – via Twitter.
- Mitchell, Shay (10 April 2016). "I mean is anyone really shocked at this pretty little cake?! This day feels surreal for many reasons but the fact that I'm doing press for my first movie, "Mother's Day", on my 29th birthday feels just right...lets do this!!!". Retrieved 10 April 2016 – via Instagram.[permanent dead link]
- Hudson, Kathryn (4 June 2013). "ELLE Canada interview: Shay Mitchell". ELLE Canada. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- Tomada, Nathalie (7 January 2013). "The Filipino in Shay Mitchell". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- Tibajia, Chonx (13 March 2013). "Pretty Shay Mitchell is no little liar". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- Mitchell, Shay [@shaymitch] (21 August 2012). "Yes my little brother 'Sean' @CrookedBeatz ;) RT @__SwagOnLou__: @shaymitch #PPLayWithShay do you have any brother or sister?:) x" (Tweet). Retrieved 2 February 2018 – via Twitter.
- Hogan, Heather (26 July 2010). "An interview with Shay Mitchell". AfterEllen. Archived from the original on 19 August 2012. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "Shay Mitchell". shaymitchell.org. Archived from the original on 30 May 2015. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- "Shay Mitchell Bio". kidzworld. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "Emily Fields played by Shay Mitchell". abcfamily.go.com. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "Tuesday Cable: Justified Finale & Law & Order:CI Flat, Plus Deadliest Catch, The Hills, WWE NXT". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. 9 June 2010. Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- Bricker, Tierney (6 January 2011). "'Pretty Little Liars' star Shay Mitchell is Pantene's new spokesperson". zap2it.com. Archived from the original on 15 March 2011. Retrieved 12 March 2011.
- Andreeva, Nellie (14 August 2017). "'Pretty Little Liars' Alum Shay Mitchell Inks Pod Deal With Warner Bros. TV; Set To Co-Star In 'You' Lifetime Series". Deadline. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- Highfill, Samantha (15 March 2018). "Lifetime announces fall premiere date for YOU starring Penn Badgley". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- Highfill, Samantha (10 April 2018). "Love turns into obsession in the first trailer for YOU starring Penn Badgley". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- Lesley, Golberg (3 December 2018). "Greg Berlanti's You Moves to Netflix as Lifetime Bails on Season 2". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie (29 September 2017). "The Heiresses Family Soap Starring Shay Mitchell From PLL's Marlene King & Sara Shepard Set At ABC As Put Pilot". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- Reilly, Phoebe. "#LifeGoals Pretty Little Liar's Shay Mitchell talks about her exciting next steps". Self Magazine (November 2016).
- "Shay Mitchell". YouTube.
- Otterson, Joe (14 August 2017). "'Pretty Little Liars' Alum Shay Mitchell Sets Overall Deal at Warner Bros. TV, Joins Lifetime Series 'You'". Retrieved 15 June 2018.
- Hudson, Kathryn. "ELLE Canada interview: Shay Mitchell". Elle Canada. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- Brown, Geoffrey (1 March 2012). "Interview: Shay Mitchell of 'Pretty Little Liars'". Out.
- Mackelden, Amy (5 July 2019). "Shay Mitchell Shared Her Baby's Gender Reveal on YouTube and It's Hilarious". Harper's BAZAAR. Retrieved 1 September 2019.
- Bailey, Alyssa (28 June 2019). "Shay Mitchell Announces She's Pregnant With Her First Child". ELLE. Archived from the original on 28 June 2019. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- Juneau, Jen (28 June 2019). "Shay Mitchell Is Pregnant! Actress Expecting First Child Five Months After Revealing Miscarriage". PEOPLE.com. Archived from the original on 28 June 2019. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- Curto, Justin; Juneau, Jen (20 October 2019). "Shay Mitchell Gives Birth to Her First Child — See the First Photo of Her Baby Girl!". People. Retrieved 20 October 2019.
- Haring, Bruce (28 June 2019). "Shay Mitchell To Document Her Pregnancy In YouTube Series 'Almost Ready'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 17 July 2019.
- Petski, Denise (10 April 2019). "'Dollface': Shay Mitchell Joins Hulu Series In Recasting". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 10 April 2019.
- Sean Paul – Hold My Hand (Official Video). Retrieved 9 December 2018 – via YouTube.
- Nick Jonas – Under You. Retrieved 9 December 2018 – via YouTube.
- Logan Paul – Help Me Help You ft. Why Don't We (Official Video). Retrieved 9 December 2018 – via YouTube.
- "Ashley Benson wins 2011 Youth Rock Award For Best Actress" Announced". Youth Rock Awards. 8 December 2011. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "People's Choice Awards: Fan Favorites in Movies, Music & TV". PeoplesChoice.com. Retrieved 4 November 2016.