Sagar Alias Jacky Reloaded
Sagar Alias Jacky Reloaded is a 2009 Indian Malayalam-language gangster drama film directed and filmed by Amal Neerad. It is a spiritual sequel to the 1987 film Irupatham Noottandu and Mohanlal reprise his role as Sagar Alias Jacky. The film was written by S. N. Swamy and produced by Antony Perumbavoor under the company Aashirvad Cinemas. It also features Shobana, Bhavana, Manoj K. Jayan, Suman, and Sampath Raj in supporting roles.
|Sagar Alias Jacky Reloaded|
|Directed by||Amal Neerad|
|Produced by||Antony Perumbavoor|
|Written by||S. N. Swamy|
Manoj K. Jayan
|Music by||Gopi Sundar|
|Edited by||Vivek Harshan|
|Distributed by||Maxlab Cinemas and Entertainments|
Sagar Alias Jacky Reloaded released on 26 March 2009 was a moderate success at the box office despite receiving mixed response from critics. The film won the Kerala State Film Award for Best Choreography for Dinesh Kumar.
Sagar Alias Jacky (Mohanlal) is a powerful underworld gold and diamond smuggler who is known for solving problems among big gangs. The Chief Minister's (Nedumudi Venu) son-in-law, Manu (Manoj K Jayan) is kidnapped and the police are unable to find a clue. Manu's wife Indu (Shobhana) realises that the police have been influenced by her brother Hari (K. B. Ganesh Kumar) who seems to know the kidnappers. Indu decides to call her best friend Sagar to help find her husband. Sagar calls his best henchmen from all over Kerala for the job. The gang then travels to Goa where Sagar's contact tells him that the kidnappers are the Rosario brothers (Sampath Raj and Shereveer Vakil) who run the most powerful gang in the Goa underworld.
After considerable difficulties, Sagar and his gang locate the night club where Manu is held hostage and helps him to escape. This audacity does not sit well with the Rosarios who swear vengeance against Sagar. They kidnap one of Sagar's favourite gangsters and demand ransom. Sagar responds by kidnapping two of the three Rosario brothers and demands that his man be released at once. Realising that they would never be able to defeat Sagar in a heads-on battle, the Rosario brothers make a deal with Manu and Hari to deliver Sagar's current location.
The Rosarios then try to assassinate Sagar but fail. Frustrated with repeated defeats, the Rosarios then approach Sagar's rival, Nanthakrishna Naina (Suman). Naina supplies them with a sniper, Sheikh Imran (Rahul Dev), who is also an internationally infamous assassin. Imran is asked to assassinate Manu so that the Sagar can be framed for the murder. But the Rosarios' plan backfires as Indu gives witness that Sagar was not responsible for her husband's murder.
Imran is then asked to assassinate Sagar. He manages to kill Sagar's bodyguard but Sagar himself escapes. Sagar then hunts him down and kills him. The Rosarios then kidnap Sagar's love interest Arati (Bhavana), a news reporter. Sagar is asked to come to a place to work out a deal. When he reaches there, he finds Arati dead. Enraged, Sagar goes to the Rosarios' club and goes on a killing spree. Then he goes to Dubai where Naina is hiding on a yacht. With the help of some gangsters he plants explosives on the yacht and blows it up. The film ends when Sagar informs Indu that death of her husband has been avenged.
- Mohanlal as Sagar Alias Jacky
- Bhavana as Arati Menon
- Manoj K Jayan as Manu
- Shobana as Indu, Manu's wife
- Jinu Joseph as Ferad
- Jagathy Sreekumar as Ashok Kumar
- Nedumudi Venu as the Chief minister of Kerala
- Suman as Nanthakrishna Naina
- Sampath Raj as Rosario
- Shereveer Vakil as David Rosario
- K. B. Ganesh Kumar as Hari
- Rahul Dev as Sheikh Imran
- Vinayakan as Style
- Vanitha Krishnachandran as Azar's mother
- Sumit Naval as Azar
- Prayaga Martin as Azar's sister
- Sudhi Koppa as Attacker
- Bala as the Superintendent of Police
- Pranav Mohanlal as a youngster in the song (Cameo appearance)
- Jyothirmayi as Item girl (Cameo appearance)
Trisha was approached for the female lead but she could not sign it due to her busy schedule. Later Bhavana replaced her. While writer S. N. Swami was working on the script of Baba Kalyani, its producer Antony Perumbavoor approached him with the idea of remaking Swami's earlier work Irupatham Noottandu. Swami contemplated the possibilities for a sequel. In the final events of the first film, the villain Shekharankutty died and Sagar is in Jail. Antony asked him after two years, and Swami suggested taking only the character Sagar and making a completely new film, neither a continuation nor a sequel. In Irupatham Noottandu, Sagar was an introvert who rarely smiles. Now, although the character has aged he is doing something that is not socially accepted.
|Sagar alias Jacky Reloaded|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||16 March 2009|
|Gopi Sundar chronology|
|1.||"Sagar Alias Jacky"||Gopi Sundar||Gopi Sundar||3:52|
|2.||"Melle Melle"||Jofy Tharakan||Punya Srinivas||3:48|
|4.||"Vennilave"||Riya Joy||Shreya Ghoshal, M. G. Sreekumar||4:33|
|5.||"Osama Bigblast"||Santhosh Varma||Suchitra||4:09|
|6.||"Sagar Alias Jacky" (Karaoke)||Gopi Sundar||Gopi Sundar||3:52|
|7.||"Melle Melle" (Karaoke)||Jofy Tharakan||Gopi Sundar||3:48|
|8.||"Vennilave" (Karaoke)||Riya Joy||Gopi Sundar||4:32|
- Best Choreography - Dinesh Kumar
- "Kerala Box Office (April 2009)". Sify. 10 May 2009. Archived from the original on 14 September 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Sequels to two runaway hits coming". The Hindu. 10 March 2009. Archived from the original on 26 March 2009. Retrieved 15 March 2009. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Akhila Menon (2 June 2015). "Disastrous Sequels Of Malayalam Cinema". Filmibeat.com. Retrieved 14 November 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- G. Jayakumar (30 January 2009). "Master of suspense". The Hindu. Retrieved 2 January 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Amazon.com: Sagar Alias Jacky Reloaded (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack): Gopi Sundar". Amazon.com. 1 July 2009. Retrieved 11 October 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Moviebuzz (6 April 2010). "Kerala State Film Awards 2009 announced - Sify.com". Sify.com.