Irupatham Noottandu (transl. Twentieth century) is a 1987 Indian Malayalam-language crime thriller film directed by K. Madhu and written by S. N. Swamy. It stars Mohanlal, Suresh Gopi, Ambika, and Jagathy Sreekumar. The lengthy climax of the film was shot in a single day. Upon release, it shattered several box office records and became the highest-grossing Malayalam film until then. The film grossed more than ₹2 crore at the box office and ran for over 200 days in theatres.
Home media cover
|Directed by||K. Madhu|
|Produced by||M. Mani|
|Written by||S. N. Swami|
|Edited by||V. P. Krishnan|
|Distributed by||Aaroma Release|
|Box office||₹2 crore+|
The film was released on 14 May 1987. It was remade in Kannada titled Jackey (1989) and in Telugu titled 20va Shatabdam (1990). Devaraj portrayed Shekarankutty in both the versions. The film also has a spiritual sequel released in 2009, titled Sagar Alias Jacky Reloaded, directed by Amal Neerad with Mohanlal reprising his role.
This article needs an improved plot summary. (June 2019)
The story is about Sagar Alias Jacky (Mohanlal) and his accomplice Sekharankutty (Suresh Gopi). Ashwathy (Ambika) is a reporter for a news magazine looking to investigate the connection between politics and crime in Kerala. She is drawn to the life of Sagar Alias Jacky who runs a clandestine gold smuggling business for Sekharankutty, son of the Chief Minister of the state.
Jacky is an enigmatic character who stops the smuggling business from growing because of ethical issues with narcotics, and spends his personal time. Ashwathy publishes a sensational article connecting Jacky to the Chief Minister, and pushes the uneasy relationship between Sekharankutty and Jacky into an open confrontation.
- Mohanlal as Sagar Alias Jacky
- Suresh Gopi as Shekharan Kutty
- Ambika as Aswathy Varma (voice dubbed by Anandavally)
- Urvashi as Jyothi
- Jagathy Sreekumar as Chanakyan
- Santhosh as Lawrence
- Prathapachandran as Chief Minister Inchakadu Ramakrishna Pillai
- Kaviyoor Ponnamma as Meenakshiyamma
- Sreenath as Jeevan
- K. P. A. C. Sunny as Koshy
- Janardhanan as IG Thomas
- Jagadish as Balakrishnan
- Jagannatha Varma as Pillai
- Sukumari as Jyothi's Mother
- T. P. Madhavan as CI Pothen
- Jose as Santhosh
- Vishnu Prakash as George
- Adoor Bhasi as Varma
- Kollam Ajith as Kasim
The music was composed by Shyam and lyrics was written by Chunakkara Ramankutty.
|1||"Ambarappoo Veedhiyilu"||K. J. Yesudas||Chunakkara Ramankutty|
Upon release, it shattered several box office records and became the highest-grossing Malayalam film until then. The film grossed more than ₹2 crore at the box office and ran for over 200 days in theatres.
- Sreedhar Pillai (31 December 1988). "Mammootty and Mohan Lal emerge as unprecedented superstars of Malayalam films". India Today. Retrieved 2 January 2016.
- Express News Service (13 February 2011). "Equally at ease with art and commercial". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2 January 2016.