Cyler in July 2016
Ronald Cyler II|
March 21, 1995
Jacksonville, Florida, U.S.
Cyler was raised in Jacksonville, Florida, the youngest of three children of Katina, a cook, and Ronald Cyler, a truck driver. His parents, who were working but struggling, sold what they had to move from Florida to California in 2013. They were homeless until shortly before he landed his role in Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. Cyler also finished High School in California.
In 2013, Cyler appeared in the short film Second Chances. In 2015, Cyler got his biggest acting break when he co-starred in the film Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, based on the book of the same name by Jesse Andrews. The film had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 25, 2015. Shortly after the premiere, Fox Searchlight Pictures acquired distribution rights for the film and released it on June 12, 2015. In 2016, Cyler appeared in the HBO series Vice Principals.
On January 9, 2017, Cyler was cast in the ensemble of I'm Dying Up Here, a Showtime drama executive-produced by Jim Carrey. In March 2017, Cyler joined the cast of White Boy Rick, directed by Yann Demange. set for release on January 12, 2018.
|2013||Second Chances||R. J.||Short film|
|2015||Me and Earl and the Dying Girl||Earl||Nominated — San Diego Film Critics Society Award for Best Supporting Actor|
Nominated — Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Young Performer
|2017||Power Rangers||Billy Cranston/Blue Ranger|
|War Machine||Technical Sergeant Andy Moon|
|2018||Sierra Burgess Is a Loser||Dan||Complete; pending release|
|White Boy Rick||Rudell Curry||Filming|
|2016||Vice Principals||Luke Brown||3 episodes|
|2017–present||I'm Dying Up Here||Adam Proteau||Main role|
|2018||Scream||Deion Elliot||Lead role; (Season 3)|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2017||Power Rangers||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Scene Stealer||Nominated|||
- "How 'Me and Earl and the Dying Girl' star RJ Cyler went from homeless to Hollywood - Toronto Star".
- "Movie Facts: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl – Static Multimedia".
- "'Me And Earl And The Dying Girl': MovieMantz Review".
- Jr, Mike Fleming (January 27, 2015). "We Called It: 'Me And Earl And The Dying Girl' Sells To Fox Searchlight & Indian Paintbrush – Sundance Update".
- McNary, Dave (October 23, 2015). "'Power Rangers': 'Me and Earl and the Dying Girl's' R.J. Cyler to Play Black Ranger". Varitey.
- Jayson, Jay (October 30, 2015). "Saban Confirms Power Rangers Will Use Names Of Original Characters". Comicbook.com.
- Chavez, Danette (January 9, 2017). "Showtime announces premiere dates for I'm Dying Up Here and Guerrilla". The A.V. Club.
- McNary, Dave (March 24, 2017). "Power Ranger R.J. Cyler Joins 'White Boy Rick' Cast". Variety. Retrieved March 26, 2017.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (February 9, 2017). "Sony Release Date Changes: 'White Boy Rick' Takes Over 'Bad Boys 3' MLK Slot, 'Goosebumps 2' Moves To Fall 2018 & More". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 12, 2017.
- Petski, Denise (September 13, 2017). "'Scream': Keke Palmer, RJ Cyler, Jessica Sula, More Round Out Season 3 Cast". Deadline. Retrieved September 13, 2017.
- "Teen Choice 2017 Award Nominees Include A Few Duds". Screen Rant. June 19, 2017. Retrieved June 20, 2017.