Pudhumai Pithan (1998 film)
Pudhumai Pithan is a 1998 Indian Tamil-language political satire film directed by S. K. Jeeva. The film features Parthiban in lead role whilst Roja, Devayani, Priya Raman, Anandaraj and Ranjith play supporting roles. The film had musical score by Deva and was released on 20 October 1998. The film opened to mixed reviews and was declared hit at the box office. It was later dubbed into Telugu as 'Oka Votu'. The film was one among 1998 Deepavali releases.
|Directed by||S. K. Jeeva|
|Written by||R. N. R. Manohar (dialogues)|
|Screenplay by||S. K. Jeeva|
|Edited by||Peter Bhabiyaa|
Jeeva (Parthiban), a social activist, ends up in a police lock-up. Mahesh (Ranjith), a police officer, is surprised to see his best friend Jeeva in this condition and brings him to his home. Mahesh lives happily with his wife Aarthi (Devayani) and his daughter (Baby Hemalatha).
Aarthi and Jeeva were in love in the past. Ramadass (Jaiganesh), Aarthi's father, hated Jeeva and his activism. As an honest police officer, Ramadass protected a corrupted politician (Anandaraj) and was beaten by Jeeva's supporters. Later, Aarthi and Jeeva split up. Jeeva clashes with the same politician, his whole family dies due to his orders and Jeeva was sent to a mental hospital. Gayathri (Priya Raman), a nurse, helps him to escape from the hospital and then she accommodates him in her house. He later fled.
Now, Jeeva changes his name and is determined to clean up the society. He also falls in love with the prostitute Shenbagam (Roja). Jeeva as Bharath becomes popular among the poor and subsequently becomes a minister.
- Parthiban as Jeeva / Bharath
- Roja as Shenbagam
- Devayani as Aarthi
- Priya Raman as Gayathri
- Ranjith as Mahesh
- Jaiganesh as Ramadass
- Vadivelu as 'Super' Suruli
- S. S. Chandran
- Delhi Ganesh as Viswanath
- Vasu Vikram as Karimuthu
- Laxmi Rattan
- Sabitha Anand as Bhavani, Jeeva's sister
- Dubbing Janaki as Jeeva's mother
- Bala Singh
- Thiruppur Ramasamy as Ramasamy
- Idichapuli Selvaraj
- Joker Thulasi
- Shilpa as Anandraj's daughter
- Mahanadi Shankar
- Crane Manohar as 'Super' Suruli's sidekick
- Kovai Senthil
- Pailwan Ranganathan
- Baby Hemalatha
- Shakeela as Vanaja
- John Babu in a cameo appearance
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The film score and the soundtrack were composed by film composer Deva. The soundtrack, released in 1998, features 6 tracks with lyrics written by Pulamaipithan, Pazhani Bharathi, Nandalala and Thamarai.
|2||"Odudhada Namma"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam||Pulamaipithan||5:25|
|3||"Onnu Rendu" (male)||Hariharan||Thamarai||5:12|
|4||"Onnu Rendu" (female)||K. S. Chithra||5:14|
|5||"Sirikkathae Ennai"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, Sujatha Mohan||Pazhani Bharathi||3:53|
- "Filmography of pudhumai pitthan". cinesouth.com. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- Rajitha (19 June 1999). "No laughing matter". rediff.com. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- Murali Krishnan J. "No laughing matter". indolink.com. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- Balaji Balasubramaniam. "PUDHUMAI PITHAN". bbthots.com. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- "Puthumai Pithan - Deva". thiraipaadal.com. Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- "MusicIndiaOnline - Puthumai Pithan(1998) Soundtrack". mio.to. Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- "Download Pudhumaipithan by Deva on Nokia Music". music.ovi.com. Archived from the original on 11 April 2013. Retrieved 1 February 2013.