Shakeela is an Indian film actress and former glamour model. She predominantly acted in Malayalam cinema and also acted in Tamil, Telugu and Kannada language films. Shakeela debuted in the Tamil film Playgirls (1995) at the age of 18 as a supporting actress. She appeared in about 250 films, most of them softcore, which made her a major sex symbol in the late 1990s and early 2000s.
C. Shakeela Begum
January 1977 (age 42)
Shakeela was born in a conservative Muslim family based in Kodambakkam, Madras, India. Her mother Chan Begum was from Nellore in Andhra Pradesh and father Chan Basha was from Madras. She had six other siblings and did her school education from six different schools in Madras. She was not good at studies and could not complete her school leaving certificate examination, eventually making her foray into films.
She acted in many B grade movies and also in soft-porn movies. One of her big hit films was Kinnarathumbikal in Malayalam, which brought her into limelight and resulted in an unheard-of craze for her from youngsters to the old. She did a few controversial topless scenes in her initial movies, but once she got noticed after Kinnarathumbikal. Her B-Grade films were dubbed and released in almost all Indian languages. Her films were dubbed even into foreign languages like Nepalese, Chinese, Sinhala, etc. After she acted in several movies, the soft-porn movie industry in India was colloquially called as "shakeela films".
Shakeela started appearing in comedy oriented family character roles in Tamil, Telugu and Kannada since 2003. She wrote her autobiography which told about her family,and her background, acquaintances with notable film personalities, politicians and childhood friends.
In January 2018, she announced her 250th film as an actor, Sheelavathi, would begin production.
Shakeela released her autobiography in 2018. In 2002, Shakeela announced that she will no longer act in B grade movies.
As an actressEdit
Shakeela has featured in over 100 films in Malayalam, Tamil, Hindi, Kannada, Odia and Telugu in various roles.
|2015||Love U Alia||Kannada|
|2015||Vasuvum Saravananum Onna Padichavanga||Tamil|
|2012||Iniyum Oru Janmam||Malayalam|
|2011||Teja Bhai & Family||Malayalam|
|2010||Boss Engira Bhaskaran||Tamil|
|2009||Paape O Parupu||Telugu|
|2007||Azhagiya Tamil Magan||Tamil|
|2005||Thaka Thimi Tha||Tamil|
|2003||Puttintiki Ra Chelli||Telugu|
|2003||Duppatlo Dhada Dhada||Telugu|
|2002||Uff Yeh Jawani||Malayalam|
|2001||Nayeem And Shakeela||Telugu|
|2000||Neela Thadakathile Nizhal Pakshikal||Malayalam|
In popular cultureEdit
Indrajit Lankesh directed a biopic based on her life. Richa Chadda has portrayed her character.
- "സിനിമാ അഭിനയവും വിവാദങ്ങൾ നിറഞ്ഞ ജീവിതവും". 24 News Live. YouTube. Retrieved August 3, 2019.
- "I was sacrificed by my parents: Shakeela". Times of India. 5 July 2014.
- "Outlook". Outlook Publishing. 22 December 2008 – via Google Books.
- "The soft porn queen of India Shakeela decides to tell her life story – many bombshells worried what she may reveal!". India Daily. 8 June 2005. Archived from the original on 13 June 2006. Retrieved 13 June 2006.
- "Smut glut". The Hindu. 8 August 2002.
- "Providing a political platform". The Hindu. 13 January 2003.
- "Promises and lies". The Hindu. 26 May 2003.
- Actress Shakeela’s 250th movie titled Seelavathi – Virgin and acted with punith Mc . AP News Corner. 28 January 2018