Thamarai (born 10 November 1975) is an Indian poet, lyricist and journalist working in the Tamil film industry. She is a prominent figure in the Tamil literary world. She made her debut in the Tamil film industry through the 1998 film Iniyavale, which was directed by Seeman and music composed by Deva.
|Alma mater||Government College of Technology Coimbatore|
|Occupation||Lyricist, poet, journalist|
Life and careerEdit
Thamarai was born in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu on 10 November 1975. She graduated from Government College of Technology, Coimbatore, in production engineering and worked for six years in Coimbatore. With her passion for poetry, she decided to move to Chennai, where she worked as a freelance journalist in an organization named Bhagya and wrote essays, stories and poems. Through her literary works, she became popular and got noticed. Director Seeman assigned her as lyricist for the song "Thendral Enthan" for his Tamil film Iniyavale. Subsequently, she wrote lyrics for films such as Unnidathil Ennai Koduthen ("Malligai Poove") and Thenali ("Injirango Injirango"). Her work together with music director Harris Jayaraj in Minnale marked the turning point in her cine industry career, primarily noted for her song "Vaseegara" in the movie.
After Minnale, the trio, composed of director Gautham Menon and music director Harris Jayaraj, teamed up several times again (Kaakha Kaakha, Vettaiyaadu Vilaiyaadu, Pachaikili Muthucharam & Vaaranam Aayiram) and were a very successful collaboration in the film field, until the break-up between Menon and Jayaraj happened. Since then, she is teaming up with A. R. Rahman, who replaced Jayaraj. Gautham Menon, Harris Jayaraj and Thamarai trio teamed up again in July 2014 for Ajith Kumar starrer Yennai Arindhaal... The film's album was released on 1 January 2015, and it was well received by critics. She wrote" Neeraambal Poovae" from the movie Nannbenda, where she again works for Harris Jayaraj. The song is sung by Arjun Menon. Her recent song "Thalli Pogathe" was well received among the youth audience. Also, her other song, from the same album Achcham Yenbadhu Madamaiyada starting as "Rasaali" and "Thallipogathey" are hit songs. Her latest hit song is Kannana Kanney from the movie Viswasam which was composed by Imman.
- Filmfare Award for Best Lyricist – Vaaranam Aayiram (2008)
- Filmfare Award for Best Lyricist – Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa (2010)
- Filmfare Award for Best Lyricist – Achcham Yenbadhu Madamaiyada (2016)
- Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Lyricist- Thenali (2000)
- Tamil Nadu State Film Honorary Award - Paavender Bharathidasan Award in 2006
- Vijay Award for Best Lyricist – Vaaranam Aayiram (2008)
- Vijay Award for Best Lyricist – Muppozhudhum Un Karpanaigal (2012)
- Other awards and recognition
- ITFA Best Lyricist Award – Kaaka Kaaka (2003)
- Meera Isaiaruvi Tamil Music Award for Best Lyricist – Vaaranam Aayiram (2008)
- Anandha Vikatan awards - Best lyricist for Thalli pogathey
- Zee Cine Awards - Best Lyricist for Kaanana Kanney - Viswasam (2020)
- Filmfare Award for Best Lyricist – Kaaka Kaaka (2003)
- Filmfare Award for Best Lyricist – Ghajini (2005)
- Filmfare Award for Best Lyricist – Subramaniapuram (2008)
- Filmfare Award for Best Lyricist – Pasanga (2009)
- Vijay Award for Best Lyricist – Pasanga (2009)
- Vijay Award for Best Lyricist – Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa (2010)
- Filmfare Award for Best Lyricist – 7aum Arivu (2011)
- Filmfare Award for Best Lyricist – Yennai Arindhaal (2015)
- SIIMA for Best Lyricist – Achcham Yenbadhu Madamaiyada (2017)
- "Kollywood Lyricist Thamarai Biography, News, Photos, Videos". nettv4u. Retrieved 2020-12-14.
- "ഭർത്താവിന്റെ പാർട്ടി ഓഫീസിന് മുന്നിൽ നിരാഹാര സമരവുമായി തമിഴ് ഗാനരചയിതാവ് താമരൈ; വീട്ട..."
- "Kavignar Thaamarai". fetna.org. Retrieved 7 April 2009.
- "Behindwoods - Yennai Arindhaal Music Review".
- "Sify Review".
- "Nanmai Payakkum Nanisaivam [Veganism results in good]". Kumudam Reporter (in Tamil). Chennai: Kumudam Publications. 18 (67): 16–17. 23 November 2018.