Proxima Midnight is a fictional cosmic supervillain appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. She is a prominent member of the Black Order, a team of aliens who work for the titan Thanos.
Proxima Midnight on the variant edition cover of Infinity #5 (December 2013).
Art by In-Hyuk Lee.
|First appearance||Cameo appearance: New Avengers #8 (September 2013)|
Full appearance: Infinity #1 (October 2013)
|Created by||Jonathan Hickman|
|Team affiliations||Black Order|
The character was created by Jonathan Hickman. She first appeared in a one panel cameo in New Avengers #8 (September 2013). Her first full appearance came later that month in Infinity #1 (October 2013), which also features the first appearance of the Black Order.
Fictional character biographyEdit
Proxima Midnight is a member of Thanos' Black Order. Thanos chose her for her expert combatant skills. Proxima is the wife of fellow Order member Corvus Glaive. She was sent to Earth to retrieve an Infinity Gem from Namor, but came into contact with the New Avengers. She battled Spectrum and Luke Cage where she found herself evenly matched. She was humiliated by Thanos' disapproval of her actions as well as the fact that Namor did not actually possess the Gem. Proxima and the rest of the Order were directed by Namor to Wakanda to search for the Gem, but were distracted when Ebony Maw revealed the location of Thane, Thanos' son. Thane wanted nothing to do with his father and imprisoned him and Proxima in amber where they were taken to Necropolis.
Namor freed Proxima, as well as Thanos, and asked that they join his Cabal due to his own anger towards Earth. However, Namor soon found himself hating the Cabal's tactics and vowed to work with the Illuminati to defeat them. Namor himself was betrayed and found himself and the Cabal stuck on an earth that was to be destroyed. They all managed to escape into the Ultimate Marvel Universe and vowed to get their revenge. They crafted a "life raft" and managed to live past the destruction of all universes. The Cabal ended up on Battleworld where they proceeded to attack the locals. However, God Emperor Doom dispersed the group to the various corners of Battleworld and Proxima, along with Corvus Glaive, were imprisoned by Apocalypse.
She managed to return to her own home when the Mainstream Marvel Universe was rebuilt. She met up with Thanos and a cloaked figure, later revealed to be Hela, and teamed up with her to retrieve Mjolnir. Their quest would lead them into battling Thor, Beta Ray Bill, The Collector and others. Ultimately, Proxima and Hela were humiliated and forced to return empty handed. To prove herself worthy, Hela killed Proxima in front of Thanos, adding one last humiliation for her.
During the "No Surrender" arc Challenger revived Proxima Midnight when the Black Order was reformed with Black Swan, Ebony Maw, a psychic projection of Supergiant, and a revived Black Dwarf and Corvus Glaive. The group competed with an alien version of the Lethal Legion formed by Grandmaster in a contest where Earth is the battlefield.
Powers and abilitiesEdit
Proxima possessed the typical attributes of a super powered individual including superhuman strength, speed, endurance and durability. Being able to survive planetary reentry without injury, she was also a master combatant and owned a spear created from a star trapped in a quantum singularity by Thanos himself.
The spear is capable of drastic harm based on how it is thrown and who it is used against, becoming a multi-pronged lance of poisonous energy that follows their target, never missing. Said force was fatal to whomever it pierced, killing the victim in minutes. It could revert to star form, gaining infinite mass which weighed down prey in an energy entanglement. This effect could even bind and revert an enraged Hulk back to Bruce Banner upon removal.
In other mediaEdit
- Proxima Midnight appears in Avengers Assemble, voiced by Kari Wahlgren. She serves the Black Order under Thanos.
- Proxima Midnight appears in Guardians of the Galaxy, voiced again by Kari Wahlgren. While initially a member of the Black Order, she follows Ebony Maw and becomes a member of the Universal Believers.
- Proxima Midnight appears in Avengers: Infinity War, voiced and motion-captured by Carrie Coon. Stuntwoman Monique Ganderton stood in for Proxima Midnight on set. She and the Children of Thanos assist Thanos in finding the Infinity Stones. During the chase of the Mind Stone, she teams with her possible lover Corvus Glaive to chase Scarlet Witch and Vision, and she is defeated by Falcon, Captain America, and Black Widow. During the battle in Wakanda, Proxima Midnight fights Black Widow and Okoye before she is killed by Scarlet Witch, who uses her telekinesis to launch her into the path of a Thresher, a war machine used by Thanos's army, killing her.
- Proxima Midnight appears in Avengers: Endgame, with Monique Ganderton reprising her role. A 2014 version of Proxima Midnight travels through time with Thanos' forces to take part in the climactic battle on Earth. She is disintegrated, along with the rest of Thanos' forces, when Tony Stark activates the Infinity Stones. Coon is not credited for the role, and the character has no speaking lines.
- Proxima Midnight appears as a mini-boss in Marvel: Avengers Alliance.
- Proxima Midnight appears as a boss and unlockable playable character in Marvel Future Fight.
- Proxima Midnight appears as a boss in Marvel Avengers Academy during the "Return of A-Force" event.
- Proxima Midnight appears as an unlockable playable character in Marvel Contest of Champions.
- Proxima Midnight appears as an unlockable playable character in Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2. She is available trough the DLC Avengers: Infinity War.
- Proxima Midnight appears as a boss in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order, voiced again by Kari Wahlgren.
- New Avengers Vol. 2 #8
- Mighty Avengers Vol. 2 #2
- New Avengers Vol. 3 #9
- Infinity #5-6
- New Avengers Vol. 3 #23
- Avengers Vol. 5 #40-41
- Secret Wars #1
- Secret Wars #2-3
- Secret Wars #6
- Secret Wars #9
- Unworthy Thor #2
- Unworthy Thor #3-4
- Unworthy Thor #5
- Avengers #676. Marvel Comics.
- Mighty Avengers Vol 2 #2
- Infinity #6
- "Voice of Proxima Midnight". Behind the Voice Actors. Retrieved April 29, 2018. Check mark indicates role has been confirmed using screenshots of closing credits and other reliable sources.
- Hall, Jacob (July 15, 2017). "The Minions of Thanos in 'Avengers: Infinity War' Have Been Revealed [D23 Expo 2017]". /Film. Archived from the original on July 15, 2017.
- "Fargo's Carrie Coon to play crucial Avengers: Infinity War villain". 16 April 2018.
- Burgos, Danielle (April 27, 2018). "Thanos' Female Villain In 'Infinity War' Has A Complex History — And An Emmy-Nominated Actor In Her Shoes". Bustle. Archived from the original on April 30, 2018. Retrieved April 30, 2018.
- Russo, Anthony; Russo, Joe (Directors) (2019). Avengers: Endgame (Motion picture). Marvel Studios.
- Fahey, Mike (August 23, 2013). "Maybe Avengers Alliance Can Make Sense Of Marvel's Infinity Event". Kotaku. Retrieved April 29, 2018.
- Staff (March 21, 2016). "MARVEL FUTURE FIGHT THANOS' BLACK ORDER TRAILER". Cosmic Book News. Retrieved August 27, 2017.
- "CHAMPION SPOTLIGHT – PROXIMA MIDNIGHT". Marvel Contest of Champions. April 12, 2018. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- "LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 Gets Infinity War DLC". ComingSoon.net. 19 April 2018. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- Cite error: The named reference
btvawas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- Proxima Midnight at the Marvel Wiki