What If...? (TV series)
What If...? is an upcoming American animated web television anthology series created for Disney+ by A.C. Bradley, based on the Marvel Comics series of the same name. It explores what would happen if major moments from the films of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) occurred differently. The series is produced by Marvel Studios, their first animated series since becoming their own production company. Bradley serves as head writer of the series, with Bryan Andrews directing.
|Created by||A.C. Bradley|
|Based on||What If...?|
by Marvel Comics
|Directed by||Bryan Andrews|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Production company(s)||Marvel Studios|
|Distributor||Disney Media Distribution|
|Related shows||Marvel Cinematic Universe television series|
Jeffrey Wright stars as the Watcher, who narrates the series. By September 2018, Marvel Studios was developing a number of series for Disney+, and one based on the What If...? comic was first reported in March 2019. The series was officially announced a month later, with many characters in the series set to be voiced by the actors who portray them in the films.
What If...? is expected to be released in mid-2021, and will consist of 23 episodes.
Cast and charactersEdit
- Jeffrey Wright as Uatu / The Watcher:
An extraterrestrial being, part of the Watcher race, who observes the multiverse and occasionally intervenes with events therein. Head writer A.C. Bradley said that the Watcher is "above everything else. He’s above everyone" and compared the Watcher to a viewer watching the "pizza rat" video, stating that "[he i]s a guy watching a rat drag a slice of pizza across the platform. He has no interest in becoming friends with the rat, living amongst the rat, or doing rat things. He just goes, 'Man, this is remarkable. Look at the little guy go' That is The Watcher's relationship with humanity". Bradley also said that Wright was cast in the role "because his voice is just so powerful and his presence, while charismatic, can address authority. He's also a friend. He has such a warm personality. It's a nice mixture".
- Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter
- Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa / Star-Lord
- Josh Brolin as Thanos
- Dominic Cooper as Howard Stark
- Michael Douglas as Hank Pym
- Karen Gillan as Nebula
- Jeff Goldblum as the Grandmaster
- Sean Gunn as Kraglin
- Chris Hemsworth as Thor
- Tom Hiddleston as Loki
- Djimon Hounsou as Korath the Pursuer
- Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury
- Toby Jones as Arnim Zola
- Michael B. Jordan as Erik Killmonger
- Neal McDonough as Dum Dum Dugan
- Natalie Portman as Jane Foster
- Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton
- Michael Rooker as Yondu
- Paul Rudd as Scott Lang
- Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner
- Sebastian Stan as James “Bucky” Barnes
- Taika Waititi as Korg
By September 2018, Marvel Studios was developing several series for its parent company Disney's streaming service, Disney+; Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige was set to take a "hands-on role" in each series' development, focusing on "handling" the actors who would be reprising their roles from the films. By March 2019, Marvel Studios was planning to create an animated series based on the What If...? Marvel comics for Disney+. The anthology series, which would be produced by Feige, would explore how the MCU would be altered if certain events had occurred differently, such as if Loki wielded Thor's hammer, Mjolnir. The hope was to have the actors who portray the characters in the MCU voice them in the series as well. A month later, Disney and Marvel officially announced the series.
Feige explained with the announcement of the series that the events that would be depicted as changed would be "pivotal moments" from throughout the MCU. He revealed that, for example, the first episode features Peggy Carter taking the super soldier serum instead of Steve Rogers. A.C. Bradley serves as head writer of the series, with Matthew Chauncey serving as story editor. Episodes were conceived and written by Bradley, Chauncey, series director Bryan Andrews, executive producer Brad Winderbaum, junior executive Simona Paparelli, and script coordinator Ryan Little, with the What If...? comics providing inspiration for potential story points. After creating 30 potential episode concepts, Feige chose his favorites, which were then narrowed down further to get the first season of episodes. Bradley originally pitched an episode which would have explored a possible reality in which Jane Foster became Thor. However, since the upcoming MCU film Thor: Love and Thunder (2021) is set to feature Foster as Thor, the idea was scrapped.
Marvel's plan for the series was to have actors who portray characters in the MCU films reprise their roles in the series. At San Diego Comic-Con in July 2019, Feige revealed a cast list of these actors that included Michael B. Jordan as Killmonger, Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes, Josh Brolin as Thanos, Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner, Tom Hiddleston as Loki, Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter, Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther, Karen Gillan as Nebula, Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton, Paul Rudd as Scott Lang, Michael Douglas as Hank Pym, Neal McDonough as Dum Dum Dugan, Dominic Cooper as Howard Stark, Sean Gunn as Kraglin, Natalie Portman as Jane Foster, Taika Waititi as Korg, Toby Jones as Arnim Zola, Djimon Hounsou as Korath, Jeff Goldblum as the Grandmaster, and Michael Rooker as Yondu. Feige also announced that Jeffrey Wright had been cast as the Watcher, who narrates the series. A month later, Atwell revealed that voice recording for the series had already begun. Goldblum indicated in November 2019 that Robert Downey Jr. would be reprising his role as Tony Stark in the series.
The series, directed by Andrews, will feature a cel-shaded animation style, with character likenesses based on the actors from the films. Ryan Meinerding, the head of visual development at Marvel Studios, worked with Andrews to find the animation style for the series, which Bradley described as more of a "cinematic style". Bradley added that Marvel was "trying to use the color palette, the lighting, [and] the character design to tell as much story as you can" similarly as in live-action film.
Footage from the series' first episode was shown during the D23 2019, with footage from the series also included in Expanding the Universe, a Marvel Studios special that debuted on Disney+ on November 12, 2019.
What If...? is expected to debut in mid-2021, and will consist of 23 episodes. Episodes will be released weekly rather than all at once. After a rumor incorrectly stated that each episode would focus on one film from the Infinity Saga, Bradley clarified that multiple films and characters would be represented in each episode, with the intention of featuring most of the characters from all the films throughout the season.
- Dinh, Christine (April 12, 2019). "All of the Marvel Disney+ News Coming Out of The Walt Disney Company's Investor Day". Marvel.com. Archived from the original on April 12, 2019. Retrieved April 12, 2019.
- Mancuso, Vinnie (July 20, 2019). "Marvel's 'What If?' Announces Massive Voice Cast of MCU Stars & Jeffrey Wright as The Watcher". Collider. Archived from the original on July 21, 2019. Retrieved July 27, 2019.
- Salazar, Andrew J. (September 6, 2019). "'What If...?' Showrunner Ashley Bradley Talks 'Trollhunters', The Beginning Of 'What If…?', Captain Carter, The Watcher & Star-Lord T'Challa (Exclusive)". Discussing Film. Archived from the original on September 22, 2019. Retrieved September 27, 2019.
- Kroll, Justin (September 18, 2018). "Loki, Scarlet Witch, Other Marvel Heroes to Get Own TV Series on Disney Streaming Service (Exclusive)". Variety. Archived from the original on September 19, 2018. Retrieved September 18, 2018.
- Boucher, Geoff; Hipes, Patrick (October 30, 2018). "Marvel Duo Falcon & Winter Soldier Teaming For Disney Streaming Series". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on October 31, 2018. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- Sciretta, Peter (March 12, 2019). "Exclusive: Marvel Studios Producing 'What If' TV Series For Disney+". /Film. Archived from the original on March 20, 2019. Retrieved March 20, 2019.
- Radulovic, Petrana (August 24, 2019). "Everything we learned at D23's Disney Plus presentation". Polygon. Archived from the original on August 24, 2019. Retrieved August 24, 2019.
- Davids, Brian (August 16, 2019). "Hayley Atwell on 'Blinded by the Light' and Shooting Her 'Avengers' Ending". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on August 16, 2019. Retrieved August 19, 2019.
- Davis, Brandon (November 15, 2019). "Robert Downey Jr. Returning to MCU For Iron Man in Disney+ Series". ComicBook.com. Archived from the original on November 16, 2019. Retrieved November 16, 2019.
- Jones, Marcus (August 23, 2019). "What If on Disney+ will feature voices from majority of Marvel Cinematic Universe cast". Entertainment Weekly. Archived from the original on August 24, 2019. Retrieved August 24, 2019.
- Pearson, Ben (November 12, 2019). "Marvel's Animated 'What If?' Clips: Feast Your Eyes on a Zombified Captain America". /Film. Archived from the original on November 13, 2019. Retrieved November 13, 2019.
- Staley, Brandon (August 23, 2019). "Marvel Reveals Episode Count for Upcoming What If? Series". Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on August 24, 2019. Retrieved August 24, 2019.
- Mitovitch, Matt Webb (August 24, 2019). "Disney+ to Release Episodes Weekly: A Welcome Break From Stress-Bingeing?". TV Line. Archived from the original on August 24, 2019. Retrieved August 24, 2019.