Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark (1906–1969)
Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark (Greek: Θεοδώρα; 30 May 1906 – 16 October 1969) was the second child and daughter of Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark and Princess Alice of Battenberg, and the second eldest sister of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
|Margravine of Baden|
|Born||30 May 1906|
Tatoi Palace, Tatoi, Greece
|Died||16 October 1969 (aged 63)|
Büdingen, Hesse, West Germany
(m. 1931; died 1963)
Maximilian, Margrave of Baden
Prince Ludwig Wilhelm
|Father||Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark|
|Mother||Princess Alice of Battenberg|
Theodora was born on 30 May 1906 at Tatoi Palace. She was the sister of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, formerly Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark, the husband and consort of Elizabeth II. She also had three sisters: Margarita, Princess of Hohenlohe-Langenburg; Cecilie, Hereditary Grand Duchess of Hesse and by Rhine; and Sophie, Princess George of Hanover. She was not invited for her brother Prince Philip's marriage in 1947 as she was married to a German prince.
Marriage and childrenEdit
- Princess Margarita Alice Thyra Viktoria Marie Louise Scholastica of Baden (14 July 1932 – 15 January 2013) she married Prince Tomislav of Yugoslavia on 5 June 1957 and they were divorced in 1981. They have two children, two granddaughters, and one great-grandson.
- Prince Maximillian Andreas Friedrich Gustav Ernst August Bernhard of Baden (born 3 July 1933) he married Archduchess Valerie of Austria on 23 September 1966. They have four children and four grandchildren.
- Prince Ludwig Wilhelm Georg Ernst Christoph of Baden (born 16 March 1937) he married Princess Anna Maria (Marianne) Henrietta Eleonora Gobertina of Auersperg-Breunner on 21 October 1967. They have three children.
Their son Maximilian is styled Royal Highness as Margrave (and formerly Hereditary Prince) of Baden, while their other two children are styled Grand Ducal Highness.
- Greece: Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Saints Olga and Sophia, 1st Class
- Greece: Dame Commander of the Order of Beneficence
- Greece: Knight of the Decoration of the Greek Royal House, 2nd Class
- House of Zähringen: Knight Grand Cross of the House Order of Fidelity
- United Kingdom: Recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal
Through her father, she was a grandchild of George I of Greece and Olga Konstantinovna of Russia, a granddaughter of Emperor Nicholas I of Russia. Through her mother she was a great-great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Her mother was a granddaughter of Princess Alice, second daughter of Queen Victoria.
- Gothaisches Genealogisches Handbuch der Fürstlchen Häuser, Band I. Verlag des Deutschen Adelsarchivs. Marburg. 2015. pp. 112-115. (German). ISBN 978-3-9817243-0-1.
- Vickers, Hugo. Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece. St. Martin's Griffin, 2003, p. 75.
- "Photographic image" (JPG). 3.bp.blogspot.com. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
- "Princess Theodoras body shown in the back wearing the grand cross set of the order of fidelity". Abc.net.au.
- "Princess Theodora wearing her Baden Grand Cross at the Coronation of her sister in-law". Upload.wikimedia.org.
- "Photographic image" (JPG). I1.wp.com. Retrieved 18 May 2018.