Gottfried, Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg
Gottfried, 8th Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (German: Gottfried Hermann Alfred Paul Maximilian Viktor Fürst zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg; 24 March 1897 – 11 May 1960) was the only surviving son of Ernst II, Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg.
|Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg|
|Born||24 March 1897|
Langenburg, German Empire
|Died||11 May 1960 (aged 63)|
|Father||Ernst II, Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg|
|Mother||Princess Alexandra of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha|
Gottfried was born at Langenburg, Kingdom of Württemberg, the first child of Ernst II, Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (1863–1950, son of Hermann, Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg and Princess Leopoldine of Baden) and his wife, Princess Alexandra of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1878–1942, daughter of Alfred, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna of Russia). Through his maternal grandparents, he was a great-grandson of Queen Victoria and of Tsar Alexander II.
On 1 May 1937, he joined the Nazi Party the same day as his mother, with the membership number of 4023070. He served as an army officer in World War II, becoming severely injured at the Russian front. He was dismissed from the army after the abortive attempt on Adolf Hitler's life on 20 July 1944.
Marriage and issueEdit
On 3 December 1930, Gottfried became engaged to Princess Margarita of Greece and Denmark. Margarita was the daughter of Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark and his wife, Princess Alice of Battenberg. Gottfried and Margarita are second cousins once removed through Queen Victoria and third cousins through Nicholas I of Russia. Many years later, Margarita's younger brother Prince Philip married Princess Elizabeth, daughter of Gottfried's second cousin, King George VI. Elizabeth succeeded her father to the throne of the United Kingdom as Queen Elizabeth II.
Gottfried and Margarita had a generally harmonious marriage. They had six children, six grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren:
- A stillborn daughter (born and died 3 December 1933)
- Prince Kraft Alexander Ernst Ludwig Georg Emich (25 June 1935 – 16 March 2004); succeeded his father as Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg. He was the father of Philipp, Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg
- Princess Beatrix Alice Marie Melita Margarete of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (10 June 1936 – 15 November 1997), once engaged to Maximilian, Margrave of Baden
- Prince Georg Andreas Heinrich of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (born 24 November 1938) married Princess Luise of Schönburg-Waldenburg on 9 September 1968.
- Prince Rupprecht Sigismund Philipp Ernst of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (7 April 1944 – 8 April 1978)
- Prince Albrecht Wolfgang Christoph of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (7 April 1944 – 23 April 1992) married Maria-Hildegard Fischer on 23 January 1976. They have one son.
Prince of Hohenlohe-LangenburgEdit
Later years and deathEdit
After World War II, he was appointed as district administrator (Landrat) of Crailsheim. Gottfried became an advocate for West German business interests, which included securing land leases in Liberia.
|Ancestors of Gottfried, Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg|
- Ernst, Klee (2007). Das Kulturlexikon zum Dritten Reich. Wer war was vor und nach 1945. Frankfurt am Main: S. Fischer Verlag. p. 261. ISBN 978-3-10-039326-5. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Petropoulos, Jonathan (2006). Royals and the Reich: The Princes von Hessen in Nazi Germany. New York: Oxford University Press. p. 382. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Prince Hohenlohe-Langenburg of German Noble Family Dies", The New York Times, Bonn, 12 May 1960 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Fürstliche Häuser XIII. "Haus Griechenland". C.A. Starke Verlag, 1987, pp. 38, 203–204.
- Marlene A. Eilers, Queen Victoria's Descendants (Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1987), page 181. Hereinafter cited as Queen Victoria's Descendants.
- "In guter Erinnerung" [In good memory]. Südwest Presse (in German). 2010-05-11. Archived from the original on 2016-07-28. Retrieved 2021-04-09. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Germans Win Africa 'Colony'". New York Daily News. 1954-01-18. p. 42.
- Queen Victoria's Descendants, New York, 1987, Eilers, Marlene A., Reference: 197
Media related to Gottfried, 8th Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg at Wikimedia Commons
Gottfried, Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg
Cadet branch of the House of HohenloheBorn: 24 March 1897 Died: 11 May 1960
|Titles in pretence|
|— TITULAR —
Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg
Reason for succession failure:
German nobility titles abolished