Prince August, Duke of Dalarna
|Duke of Dalarna|
|Born||24 August 1831|
Drottningholm Palace, Ekerö, Sweden
|Died||4 March 1873 (aged 41)|
Stockholm Palace, Stockholm, Sweden
|Spouse||Princess Therese of Saxe-Altenburg|
|Father||Oscar I of Sweden|
|Mother||Josephine of Leuchtenberg|
On 16 April 1864 in Altenburg, the Duke married Princess Therese Amalie of Saxe-Altenburg (Ansbach, 21 December 1836 - Haga Palace, Stockholm, 9 November 1914), Duchess of Saxony, eldest daughter of Prince Eduard of Saxe-Altenburg and his first wife Princess Amalie of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen. The marriage did not produce issue. In Sweden, his wife was styled Princess Teresia.
The Prince was very interested in trains and locomotives, and a locomotive was named after him. Since it was commonly thought the Prince was not very bright, this led to the expression "dummare än tåget" (lit. "more stupid than the train"), an expression still in use in the Swedish language.
Honours and armsEdit
He received the following orders and decorations:
- Duchy of Anhalt: Grand Cross of Albert the Bear, 21 April 1864
- Austria-Hungary: Grand Cross of St. Stephen, 1870
- Denmark: Knight of the Elephant, 9 June 1852
- Ernestine duchies: Grand Cross of the Saxe-Ernestine House Order, April 1861
- Kingdom of Hanover: Grand Cross of the Royal Guelphic Order, 1852
- Hohenzollern: Cross of Honour of the Princely House Order of Hohenzollern, 1st Class
- Nassau: Knight of the Gold Lion of Nassau, July 1858
- Netherlands: Grand Cross of the Netherlands Lion
- Russian Empire:
|Ancestors of Prince August, Duke of Dalarna|
- The Peerage # 105635
- "Henri van Oene's Royal Genealogies". Archived from the original on October 28, 2009. Retrieved 2006-12-30.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- Grünbaum, Catharina (2 March 2006). "Nu går språktåget". Dagens Nyheter (in Swedish). Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- Sveriges och Norges Statskalender (in Swedish), 1872, p. 460, retrieved 2018-01-06 – via runeberg.org
- Sveriges och Norges Statskalender (in Swedish), 1864, p. 604, retrieved 2018-01-06 – via runeberg.org
- Hof- und Staats-Handbuch für das Herzogthum Anhalt (1867), "Herzoglicher Haus-Orden Albrecht des Bären" p. 18
- "A Szent István Rend tagjai" Archived 22 December 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- Bille-Hansen, A. C.; Holck, Harald, eds. (1872) [1st pub.:1801]. Statshaandbog for Kongeriget Danmark for Aaret 1872 [State Manual of the Kingdom of Denmark for the Year 1872] (PDF). Kongelig Dansk Hof- og Statskalender (in Danish). Copenhagen: J.H. Schultz A.-S. Universitetsbogtrykkeri. p. 3. Retrieved 3 May 2020 – via da:DIS Danmark.
- Staatshandbücher für das Herzogtums Sachsen-Altenburg (1869), "Herzogliche Sachsen-Ernestinischer Hausorden" p. 21
- Staat Hannover (1858). Hof- und Staatshandbuch für das Königreich Hannover: 1858. Berenberg. p. 72.
- Staats- und Adreß-Handbuch des Herzogthums Nassau: 1859. Schellenberg. 1859. p. 8.