This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Paliyath Jayachandrakuttan, popularly known as P. Jayachandran, is an Indian playback singer and classical musician from Kerala. Jayachandran is best known for his captivating voice which gave him the title Bhava Gayakan by the music fraternity of South India.
P Jayachandran performing at Devarajan Master Death Anniversary Concert
|Birth name||Paliyath Jayachandrakuttan|
|Also known as||Bhava Gayakan|
|Born||3 March 1944|
Jayachandran was born in Bhadralayam, Ravipuram, Ernakulam, on 3 March 1944 and his family later moved to Irinjalakkuda. He is the third of five children of Ravivarma Kochaniyan Thampuran and Paliyath Subhadrakkunjamma, and their second son.
Jayachandran married Lalitha from Thrissur in May 1973. They have a daughter named Lakshmi and a son named Dinanath, who also sang for films.
Jayachandran graduated from Christ College, Irinjalakuda. He was a student of the Irinjalakuda National School, from where he received many prizes for playing the mridangam and light music in the State School Youth Festival. Jayachandran met Yesudas in 1958 when he participated in the state youth festival. Yesudas won the Best Classical Singer award and Jayachandran got the best mridamgist award in the same year.
In 1967, he sang the song "Anuragaganam pole", composed by M.S. Baburaj, for the film Udhyogastha, directed by P. Venu. Later together, P. Venu and Jayachandran produced more hits like "Ninmaniarayile" (C.I.D. Nazir, 1971) and "Malayala Bashathan" (Prethangalude Thaazhvazha, 1973). Jayachandran received the Kerala State Film Award for Best Singer in 1972 for the song "Neelagiriyude ('Suprabhaatham')" for the film Panitheeratha Veedu. Its music was done by M. S. Viswanathan. The year 1978 brought him another Kerala State award, this time for the song "Ragam Sreeragam" from the film Bandhanam, composed by M. B. Sreenivasan. In 1985 he received the National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer for the song "Sivasankara Sarva Saranya Vibho" from the film Sree Narayana Guru, composed by G. Devarajan . The song "Prayam Nammil", from the film Niram, brought him a third Kerala state award in 1998. In 1975, he sang for the Malayalam movie Penpada (with music by R. K. Shekhar) a song called "Velli then Kinnam Pol", regarded as the first composition of the then 9-year-old Dileep Shekhar, now more widely known as A. R. Rahman.
Jayachandran worked in close collaboration with the composer Ilayaraja, producing numerous popular hits in the Tamil language, including "Raasaathi Unna", "Kaathirundhu Kaathirundhu" (both from the 1984 release Vaidhegi kaathirundhaal), "Mayanginen Solla Thayanginen" (from the 1985 release Naaney raaja naaney mandhiri), "Vaalkaiye Vesham" (from the 1979 release Aarilirundhu Arubathu Varai), "Poova Eduthu Oru" (from the 1986 release Amman Kovil Kizhakaaley) and "Thaalaattudhey Vaanam" (from the 1981 release Kadal Meengal). In 1994, he received the Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Singer for the song "Kathazham Kattuvazhi" for the film Kizhakku Cheemayile, composed by A. R. Rahman. As a recognition for his contribution to Tamil film music, he was honoured with the 1997 Kalaimamani award of the Tamil Nadu Government.
Jayachandran was honoured with the Swaralaya Kairali Yesudas award at the beginning of 2001, which he was the first person to receive. The motive behind this award is to choose the best from the singers and lyricists within a span of 30 years. He has sung nearly 1000 songs for Malayalam movies over the years, according to the MSI information database.
- "Manjalayil Mungi Thorthi" – Kalithozhan (Malayalam)
- "Ponnenna Poovenna" – 1973 (Tamil)
- "Neela Vana Cholayil"- Premabhishekham film (Tamil)
- "Kadavul Vaazhum kovilile" - Oru_Thalai_Ragam (Tamil)
- "Chanda Chanda" – Manasa Sarovara (Kannada)
- "Therirangum Mukile" – Mazhathullikilukkam (Malayalam)
- "Olanjali Kuruvi" – 1983 (Malayalam)
- "Thaalattuthey Vaanam" - Kadal Meengal (Tamil)
- "Raasathi Unna" - Vaidehi Kathirunthal (Tamil)
- "Poova eduthu oru maala" - [Amman koil kizhakale] (Tamil)
- "Ithaloornnu Veena" – Thanmathra (Malayalam)
- "Olavina Udugore Kodalenu" – Olavina Udugore (Kannada)
- "Kodiyile Malliyappoo" – Kadalora Kavithaigal (Tamil)
- Kannathil Muthamittal - "Kannathil Muthamittal" (Tamil)
- "Mancholai Kilithano" – Kizhake Pogum Rail(Tamil)
- "Milo Wahan Wahan (from movie ADA, Debut song in Hindi)
- "Harshbashpam Thooki" - "Muthassi"(Malayalam)
- "Ariyathe Ariyathe" - "Ravanaprabhu" (Malayalam)
- ""En Mel Vizhunda" - "May Madham" (Tamil)
- ""Pattil Ee Pattil" - "Pranayam" (Malayalam)
- "Sharadambaram " - "Ennu Ninte Moideen" (Malayalam)
- "Jeevana Sanjeevana" - Hanthakana Sanchu (Kannada)
- "Mannappm chuttu" - Marubhoomiyile Aana (Malayalam)
- "Podi meesha" - Pa Va (Malayalam)
- "Hindusthanvu endu mareyada" - Amrutha Ghalige (Kannada)
- "Mandara Pushpavu Neenu" - Ranganayaki (Kannada)
- "Chanda Chanda" - Maanasa Sarovara (Kannada)
- "Neeyoru Puzhayayi"- Thilakkam (Malayalam)
- "Poove Poove" - "Devadoothan" (Malayalam)
- "Aaru Paranju" - "Pulival Kalyanam" (Malayalam)
- "Kannaadi Maalai" - Amutha (Tamil)
Malayalam music albumsEdit
- Pranayamarmaram – 2009.
- 1972 – Best Male Play Back Singer for the song "Suprabhatham" in the film Pani Theeratha Veedu
- 1978 – Best Male Play Back Singer for the song "Ragam Sreeragam" in the film Bandhanam
- 1999 – Best Male Play Back Singer for the song "Prayam Nammil" in the film Niram
- 2004 – Best Male Play Back Singer for the song "Neeyoru Puzhayaay" in the film Thilakkam
- 2015 – Best Male Play Back Singer for the songs "Njaan Oru Malayali", "Malarvaka Kombathu", "Sharadambaram" in the films Jilebi, Ennum Eppozhum, Ennu Ninte Moideen
- 1994 – Best Male Playback Singer – for the song "Kattazham Kattuvazhi" in the film Kizhakku Cheemayile
- 1997 – Kalaimamani award by Tamil Nadu Government for 30 Years in Tamil Film Music
- 2015 - Best singer male -Sharadambaam –Ennu Ninte Moideen
- Mazhavil Mango Music awards
- 2017 - Best Singer - Podimeesha –Pa.Va
|1994||Vanitha||"Ye Thalli Kannadani"||A. R. Rahman|
|1995||Premikudu||"Muttukunte Kandipoye"||A. R. Rahman|
|1998||Suryavamsam||"Rojave Chinni"(Male Version ll)||S. A. Rajkumar|
|Suswagatham||"Happy Happy"||S. A. Rajkumar||Mano|
|1999||Alludugaaru Vachcharu||"Chali ￼Chalani"||M. M. Keeravani||K. S. Chithra|
|2000||Nuvve Kavali||"Anaganaga Aakasham"||Koti||K. S. Chithra|
|Sri Srimati Satyabhama||"Neeli Neeli Meghala"￼||S. V. Krishna Reddy||K. S. Chithra|
|2002||Baba||"Rajyama Sanyasama"||A. R. Rahman|
|Neetho||"Dil Dil Dil"||Vidhya Sagar||Karthik|
"Kamala nayana": Bhakta Prahlada (1983 film)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Paliyath Jayachandran.|