Order of Cultural Merit (South Korea)
The Order of Cultural Merit (Hangul: 문화훈장) is one of South Korea's orders of merit. It is awarded by the President of South Korea for "outstanding meritorious services in the fields of culture and art in the interest of promoting the national culture and national development."
|Order of Cultural Merit|
|Awarded by South Korea|
|Type||Order of merit|
|Awarded for||Outstanding meritorious services in the fields of culture and art in the interest of promoting the national culture and national development.|
|Next (higher)||Grand Order of Mugunghwa|
|Revised Romanization||Munhwa Hunjang|
The Order of Cultural Merit is conferred in five grades.
Geumgwan (Gold Crown), 1st ClassEdit
Eungwan (Silver Crown), 2nd ClassEdit
- Martina Deuchler, 1995
- Kun-Woo Paik, 2010
- Kim Ki-duk, 2012
- Lee Soon-jae, 2018
- Kim Min-ki, 2018
Bogwan (Precious Crown), 3rd ClassEdit
Okgwan (Jeweled Crown), 4th ClassEdit
- Moon So-ri, 2002
- Choi Min-sik, 2004 — Choi Min-sik returned the decoration badge in 2006, protesting large cuts in support programs for the arts programs of the Korean government.
- Kim Dong-joo, 2004
- Young-Key Kim-Renaud, 2006.
- Park Jae-sang (Psy), South Korean musician, 2012
Hwagwan (Flower Crown), 5th ClassEdit
- Ji-young Kim, 1998
- Bae Yong-joon, 2008
- Daisaku Ikeda, Japanese religious leader, the Honorary President of Soka Gakkai, and President of Soka Gakkai International, 2009
- Jason Amper, 2012
- BTS, 2018[A]
- "Awards and Decorations Act". Act No. 11690 of March 23, 2013.(in English and Korean) Korea Legislation Research Institute. Retrieved 2018-02-14.
- "훈장과 포장" [Orders and Medals]. Decorations of the Republic of Korea (in Korean). Ministry of Interior and Safety. 2015. Retrieved 2018-02-14.
- Askonas Holt, Myung-Whun Chung, biography; retrieved 2011-05-10
- "Nation honors late video artist Paik Nam-june a year after death," Archived 2011-06-23 at the Wayback Machine Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism (ROK). February 1, 2007, retrieved 2011-04-22
- Lee Hyo-won. "Late Film Director Yu to Get National Order of Culture Merit," Korea Times (ROK). June 29, 2009, retrieved 2011-04-22
- Jang, Sung-eun. "Beloved Korean Novelist Dies At 80," Wall Street Journal (US). January 26, 2011.
- Association for Asian Studies (AAS), 1997 Award for Distinguished Contributions to Asian Studies; retrieved 2011-05-31
- "Kun Woo Paik is awarded Order of Merit," Archived 2011-06-23 at the Wayback Machine ICA International Classical Artists (UK). 3 December 2010, citing "Pianist Paik Kun-woo honored," Korea Herald (ROK). 2 November 2010, retrieved 2011-04-22
-  soompi.com. retrieved 2018-10-25
- "야나기 무네요시 전". 디자인정글 (in Korean). Design Jungle. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- "`Old Boy' to Receive Order of Cultural Merit," Han Cinema (ROK). July 25, 2004, retrieved 2011-04-22
- "Kadir Topbaş'a Kore devlet nişanı verildi" (in Turkish). Hürriyet. 2014-09-13. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "'Old Boy' Returns Medal in Screen Quota Protest," Chosun Ilbun (ROK). February 7, 2006.
- "President Rho Confers the Order of Merit on the Korean Alphabet Day," George Washington University website (US). November 11, 2006, retrieved 2011-04-22
- "Korean National Ballet, Principal Dancers" Korean National Ballet website. retrieved 2012-11-27
- Han Sang-hee. "Bae Receives National Order of Culture Merit," Korea Times (ROK). October 19, 2008, retrieved 2011-04-22
- Kim, Seong-jin (October 24, 2018). "[ARTICLE] "Korea popular Culture and Art Award" BTS the youngest recipient to receive Hwagwan Order of Cultural Merit. "We will continue to spread the culture of Korea" - '대중문화예술상' 방탄소년단, 최연소 화관문화훈장 "韓 문화, 세계에 알리겠다"". My Daily (in Korean). Retrieved October 24, 2018.
- Yoon, Min-sik (October 8, 2018). "BTS to get medal for spreading Korean culture: presidential office". The Korea Herald. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- Yrigoyen, Charles et al. (2005). Historical dictionary of Methodism, p. 176., p. 176, at Google Books
- Martin, Samuel Elmo. ( 1996). Consonant Lenition in Korean and the Macro-Altaic Question, p. 168., p. 168, at Google Books