Lee Soon-jae (Korean: 이순재; born November 16, 1934)[A] is a South Korean actor. He has had a prolific career on the small and big screen spanning over six decades, and was given a second-class Eungwan Order of Cultural Merit for his work as an actor.
|Born||[A]November 16, 1934|
|Alma mater||Seoul National University – Bachelor of Philosophy|
|Awards||Eungwan Order of Cultural Merit (2018)|
|Revised Romanization||I Sun-jae|
|Revised Romanization||I Sun-jae|
Early and personal lifeEdit
Lee was born in Hoeryong, North Hamgyong Province, now part of North Korea. When he was four years old, his family moved to Seoul where Lee's grandparents were living. Lee's grandfather ran a small real estate business, while his father produced and sold soaps. Lee was raised in the neighborhood of Ahyeon-dong, and graduated from Seoul High School and the prestigious Seoul National University. He also holds an insurance planning license as celebrities without the license cannot become endorsers or spokespeople of related products.
Lee first met his wife Choi Jee-jung as a university student as she was the sister of his fellow student theater troupe member. They married in 1966 and have two children.
Lee began his acting career as a university student, and in the 1950s and 1960s he was known, along with other veteran actors like Yeo Woon-kay, as the original stars of daehakgeuk or amateur student theatrical productions. Lee has since built a prolific career on the small and big screen spanning nearly six decades. He was most active in film in the late 1960s through the 1970s, most notably in Yu Hyun-mok's Bun-Rye's Story. As he grew older, Lee shifted to a primarily TV career in the 1990s, receiving acclaim for his roles in the television dramas Live As I Please (written by Yoo Ho), Pungwoon (Crisis), What is Love (written by Kim Soo-hyun) and Hur Jun.
From 1992 to 1996, Lee served as a member of the 14th National Assembly of South Korea. He quit politics after one term after finding the political climate "too barren" for his taste. Lee remains active in his various advocacies, such as the Korea Broadcasting Actors Union.
He is also a professor of Film Arts at Sejong University, a professor emeritus of Performing Arts at Gachon University, and the director of the SG Academy. After starring in Hur Jun, he was given an honorary doctorate in Oriental Medicine by Kyung Hee University.
In 2007, Lee, by then a distinguished veteran actor, reached new heights of mainstream popularity when he starred in the sitcom Unstoppable High Kick!. One particular scene became a huge hit among young audiences: when his stern grandfather character discovers porn while browsing through a family member's computer files, then embarrassingly gets caught watching. It went viral, giving rise to numerous parodies in which "Yadong (Porn) Soon-jae" is involved in R-rated hijinks. Lee was surprised that even his granddaughter asked for his autograph for her friends, adding, "Even during my best years, my daughter never asked me for that." Despite having no superstars in the cast, the sitcom received high ratings, which Lee attributed to successfully building comic tension. He said, "For an actor to be funny, he's got to play things straight. [...] It's about finding the comedy in something serious." But Lee also lamented the recent trend of casting inexperienced actors in leading roles on TV, saying, "It's important to know the basics, like the language. How can you act, when you don't even know how to pronounce? Acting is not a simple thing, and this I can say from experience." He later returned as the family patriarch in High Kick Through the Roof, which shares the same concept as the previous sitcom, but with a different cast and characters.
Good Morning PresidentEdit
In 2009, Lee made his big screen comeback after 20 years in television, in Jang Jin's comedy Good Morning President. The movie tells the story of three fictional Korean presidents, and in the first segment, Lee played a well-respected elderly president nearing the end of his term who espouses frugality and charity, but then agonizes whether to take the money when he unexpectedly wins the lottery. Lee said, "I was impressed with how much times have changed; before it would have been impossible to parody the president. The film tries to show that heads of state are only human, just like you and me, which I think makes the movie distinctive, as well as fresh and fun for viewers."
In 2011, Lee, Yoon So-jung, Song Jae-ho and Kim Soo-mi starred in Late Blossom, a tearjerker romance about two elderly couples, based on the popular webtoon I Love You by Kang Full. Lee said the movie was a rare chance for him and other senior actors to play leading roles on the big screen. He added that Korea's senior citizen population had surpassed five million, and "not understanding their feelings would be a failure of television dramas, movies and even elections. Young people might be under the illusion that life is over after turning 60, but the heart doesn't change despite getting old." Initially difficult to finance due to ageism, Late Blossom had a small shooting and marketing budget compared to most Korean mainstream films. But it became a sleeper hit, recouping four times its cost in just a few weeks. Lee also won Best Actor under the international film category at the China Golden Rooster and Hundred Flowers Film Festival, becoming its oldest recipient. Lee said, "I never thought I'd win. What a surprise. It feels great to know that Late Blossom has been received well overseas. I thought it would be hard for an actor from television dramas to be awarded a prize at film awards, not to mention the unexpected pleasure of winning at a foreign film festival. I have received the best entertainer award and achievement award before, but receiving this makes me happier and more thrilled." It was his first best actor award for a film in 34 years since the 1977 Baeksang Arts Awards.
Lee returned to the stage in 2012 in Father, a Korean adaptation of Arthur Miller's play Death of a Salesman. This was his third time to play the character Willy Loman. Lee said, "When I first played this role in 1978, some parts were rather incomprehensible. But now, as our society developed, we can finally fully understand what those lines mean. That is the beauty of working on masterpieces like Arthur Miller's. I feel a satisfaction and regret at the same time, for I have reached a new comprehension, and for the perspective that I have yet to discover." He reprised the role in 2013, under the direction of Kim Myung-gon.
Grandpas Over FlowersEdit
In 2013, cable channel tvN launched the travel-reality show Grandpas Over Flowers (the title parodies the manga Boys Over Flowers) directed by Na Young-seok (previously of 1 Night 2 Days). Defying a youth-centered entertainment industry, the hit show stars four veteran actors in their 70s, Lee, Shin Goo, Park Geun-hyung and Baek Il-seob, as they go on a backpacking tour of France, Taiwan and Spain.
In 2017, he joined Idol School as principal and narrator. Idol School is a survival program, making a new permanent girl group in 11 weeks. They are trained in dance, vocal, and physical education while gathering votes from public and performing on stages.
As of 2019, he is the oldest active actor and the oldest actor. Song Hae-ga (Donggap, Im Kwon-taek) is the only senior artist among all celebrities. It was the first to be dedicated to the Korean Broadcasting Hall of Fame and earlier to the MBC Hall of Fame.
|Year||English title||Korean title||Role||Network|
|2022||Again My Life||어게인 마이 라이프||Woo Yong-soo||SBS|
|The Red Sleeve||옷소매 붉은 끝동||Special appearances||MBC|
|2020||Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol||도도솔솔라라솔||Kim Man-Dok||KBS2|
|2019||Pegasus Market||쌉니다 천리마마트||Kim Dae-ma||tvN|
|Legal High||리갈 하이||Gu Se-jong||JTBC|
|2017||Money Flower||돈꽃||Jang Kook-hwan||MBC|
|2016||Dear My Friends||디어 마이 프렌즈||(cameo)||tvN|
|2015||The Scholar Who Walks the Night||밤을 걷는 선비||King Hyeonjo||MBC|
|Make a Woman Cry||여자를 울려||Kang Tae-hwan|
|Unkind Ladies||착하지 않은 여자들||Kim Chul-hee||KBS2|
|2014||The King's Face||왕의 얼굴||Baek Kyung|
|Drama Festival "Turning Point"||드라마 페스티벌 - 터닝포인트||Lee Soon-jae||MBC|
|Flower Grandpa Investigation Unit||꽃할배 수사대||Lee Joon-hyuk||tvN|
|2013||Potato Star 2013QR3||감자별 2013QR3||Noh Song|
|Ugly Alert||못난이 주의보||Na Sang-jin||SBS|
|2012||Childless Comfort||무자식 상팔자||Ahn Ho-shik||jTBC|
|Horse Doctor||마의||Ko Joo-man||MBC|
|Late Blossom||그대를 사랑합니다||Kim Man-seok||SBS Plus|
|The King 2 Hearts||더킹 투하츠||Eun Kyu-tae||MBC|
|Korean Peninsula||한반도||Kang Dae-hyun||TV Chosun|
|2011||A Thousand Kisses||천번의 입맞춤||Jang Byung-doo||MBC|
|The Princess' Man||공주의 남자||Kim Jongseo||KBS2|
|My Princess||마이 프린세스||Park Dong-jae||MBC|
|Flames of Desire||욕망의 불꽃||Kim Tae-jin||MBC|
|Coffee House||커피하우스||Seo Eun-young's grandfather||SBS|
|The Miracle of Love||사랑의 기적||cardiologist|
|Stars Falling from the Sky||별을 따다줘||Jung-gook|
|Master of Prescriptions||처방의 고수||MBC|
|2009||Father, Your Place||아버지, 당신의 자리||Lee Sung-bok||SBS|
|High Kick Through the Roof||지붕뚫고 하이킥!||Lee Soon-jae||MBC|
|Children of Heaven||천국의 아이들||SBS|
|Queen Seondeok||선덕여왕||King Jinheung||MBC|
|2008||Don't Cry My Love||사랑해, 울지마||Han Gyu-il|
|Beethoven Virus||베토벤 바이러스||Kim Kap-yong|
|Mom's Dead Upset||엄마가 뿔났다||Na Choong-bok||KBS2|
|2007||Yi San||이산||King Yeongjo||MBC|
|Love Isn't Stop (segment: "Ex-lover")||사랑은 쉬지 않는다||Sarangyeot||KBS N|
|When Spring Comes||꽃피는 봄이 오면||Lee Jae-shik||KBS2|
|2006||Unstoppable High Kick!||거침없이 하이킥!||Lee Soon-jae||MBC|
|The Vineyard Man||포도밭 그 사나이||Lee Byung-dal||KBS2|
|2005||A Love to Kill||이 죽일놈의 사랑|
|Bride from Hanoi||하노이 신부||Song Il-ran's father||SBS|
|Princess Lulu||루루공주||Chairman Go Deok-soo|
|The Post Horse Curse
|My Sweetheart, My Darling||어여쁜 당신||Jang Yoon-jae||KBS1|
|2004||Immortal Admiral Yi Sun-sin||불멸의 이순신||Yi Hwang|
|The Land||토지||Teacher Kim||SBS|
|The Age of Heroes||영웅시대||Chun Tae-san's grandfather||MBC|
|Hot Tropical Nights in December||12월의 열대야||Dr. Min Tae-joon||SBS|
|Sweet 18||낭랑18세||Kwon Jin-sa||KBS2|
|2003||Escape from Unemployment||백수탈출||Hwang Choon-beom||SBS|
|A Problem at My Younger Brother's House||흥부네 박터졌네||Park Man-bo|
|Pearl Necklace||진주 목걸이||Hwang Man-kap||KBS2|
|My Fair Lady||요조숙녀||President||SBS|
|2002||너희가 나라를 아느냐||Choi Ik-hyun||MBC|
|Jang Hui-bin||장희빈||Song Siyeol||KBS2|
|Hyun-jung, I Love You||현정아 사랑해||Kim Jae-hwa||MBC|
|The Rustic Period||야인시대||Won Do-in||SBS|
|Who's My Love?||내사랑 누굴까||Kim Deok-bae||KBS2|
|2001||Sangdo||상도 (商道)||Park Joo-myung|
|Way of Living: Couple||이 부부가 사는 법||Ki In-jong||SBS|
|Guardian Angel||수호천사||Chairman Kang Doo-shik|
|Orient Theater||동양극장 (東洋劇場)||Wakejima||KBS2|
|Still Love||그래도 사랑해||Park Hoe-jang||SBS|
|2000||The Aspen Tree||은사시나무|
|I Want to Keep Seeing You||자꾸만 보고 싶네||Kim Eui-kyung||SBS|
|Mr. Duke||신귀공자||President Jang||MBC|
|1999||Hur Jun||허준||Yoo Ui-tae|
|The Last War||마지막 전쟁||Han Ji-soo's father|
|Someone's House||사람의 집||Shim (Joo-sa)||KBS1|
|1998||The Solid Man||단단한 놈||National Treasure||SBS|
|사랑밖엔 난 몰라||MBC|
|Panther of Kilimanjaro||킬리만자로의 표범||Professor Noh||KBS2|
|The Era of the Three Kims||삼김시대||Yun Bo-seon||SBS|
|See and See Again||보고 또 보고||Principal Park||MBC|
|1997||불 붙은 난간||Jung Joon||KBS|
|Only You||당신 뿐인데||Heo Jang-gap||SBS|
|Palace of Dreams||꿈의 궁전||Ji Won-ho||SBS|
|Because I Love You||사랑하니까|
|1996||Sometimes Like Strangers||때로는 타인처럼||Chairman Park|
|Wonji-dong Blues||원지동 블루스||Choi Ik-sam||KBS|
|1995||Korea Gate||코리아게이트||Yun Bo-seon||SBS|
|Men of the Bath House||목욕탕집 남자들||Kim Bok-dong||KBS2|
|1993||The 3rd Republic||제3공화국||Yun Bo-seon|
|How's Your Husband?||댁의 남편은 어떠십니까?||SBS|
|1991||Kyoto at 25||교토 25시||Chairman Ishida||KBS|
|What is Love||사랑이 뭐길래||Lee Byung-ho||MBC|
|The Wonders of Eastern Medicine||동의보감||Yoo Ui-tae|
|Betrayal of the Rose||배반의 장미||Kim Won-il||MBC|
|The 2nd Republic||제2공화국||Yun Bo-seon||MBC|
|1985||Silver Rapids||은빛 여울|
|열망||Samchonri Industrial founder|
|1984||내 사랑 아직도 끝나지 않았네|
|겨울에 심은 나무||expert on liberation theology|
|TV's Tale of Chunhyang||TV 춘향전|
|Ordinary People||보통 사람들|
|1981||우리에게 축복의 기도를|
|The 1st Republic||제1공화국||Yun Bo-seon||MBC|
|Two Women||두 여인||KBS|
|1973||길||University of Tokyo student Shin Sang-gu|
|1966||Live As I Please||내 멋에 산다|
|Mister Bear||미스터 곰|
|1962||나도 인간이 되련다||KBS|
|Year||English title||Korean title||Role||Director|
|2022||Good Morning||안녕하세요||In-su ||Cha Bong-joo|
|2020||Mr. Zoo: The Missing VIP||미스터 주: 사라진 VIP||Hamster (voice)||Kim Tae-yoon|
|2019||Romang||로망||Jo Nam-bong||Lee Chang-geun|
|2018||Stand By Me||덕구||Grandfather||Bang Soo-in|
|2011||Romantic Heaven||로맨틱 헤븐||old man (God)||Jang Jin|
|Late Blossom||그대를 사랑합니다||Kim Man-seok||Choo Chang-min|
|2009||Good Morning President||굿 모닝 프레지던트||Kim Jeong-ho||Jang Jin|
|Up||업||Carl Fredericksen (Korean dubbing)||Pete Docter|
|2006||Family Matters||모두들, 괜찮아요?||Won-jo||Nam Seon-ho|
|Forbidden Quest||음란서생||Kim Yoon-seo's father||Kim Dae-woo|
|2005||My Girl and I||파랑주의보||Kim Man-geum||Jeon Yoon-soo|
|0.917 (Subconscious)||영점구일칠 (0.917)||Lee Dong-hui|
|1986||Wet Grass and Wet Leaves||젖은 풀 젖은 잎||Im Joung-soo|
|1984||I Want to Go||가고파||Kwak Jeong-hwan|
|Road to Peace||화평의 길||Kang Dae-jin|
|Holy Mission||Choe In-hyeon|
|1983||The Foolish Woman||바보스러운 여자||Ha Hwe-ryong|
|Love and Farewell||사랑 그리고 이별||Byun Jang-ho|
|1982||The Blues of Jong-ro||종로 부루스||Kim Hyo-cheon|
|1981||Forgive Me Once Again Despite Hatred '80'||미워도 다시한번 80 제2부||Byun Jang-ho|
|Goodbye Daddy '81||아빠안녕||Byun Jang-ho|
|1980||Son of Man||사람의 아들||Yu Hyun-mok|
|Mu Hyoup Gum Pung||무협검풍||Nam Gi-nam|
|The Man to be Forgotten||잊어야 할 그사람||Park Ho-tae|
|Love Me Once Again Despite Hatred '80||미워도 다시한번 '80||Byun Jang-ho|
|Magnificent Experience||화려한 경험||Lee Sang-gu|
|Unconditional Love||아낌없이 바쳤는데||Park Ho-tae|
|1979||Admiration of Nights||밤의 찬가||Kim Ho-sun|
|Eternal Inheritance||영원한 유산||Choe In-hyeon|
|The Terms of Love||사랑의 조건||Kim Soo-yong|
|Miss Oh's Apartment (Sequel)||O양의 아파트(속)||Byun Jang-ho|
|A Letter from Heaven||하늘나라에서 온 편지||Kim Jun-sik|
|1978||Miss Oh's Apartment||O양의 아파트||Byun Jang-ho|
|Red Gate of Tragedy||비련의 홍살문||Byun Jang-ho|
|Woman in the Fog||안개속의 여인||Choe In-hyeon|
|Grave Wood||비목||Go Yeong-nam|
|Sadness Under the Sky||하늘아래 슬픔이||Lee Yeong-woo|
|With My Older Brother and Sister||오빠하고 누나하고||Lee Sang-eon|
|King Sejong the Great||세종대왕||Choe In-hyeon|
|1977||The Old Manor||고가||Cho Moon-jin|
|Towards the High Place||저 높은 곳을 향하여||Im Won-sik|
|Little Namgung Dong-ja||남궁동자||Kim Su-hyeong|
|Two Decades as a Woman Journalist||여기자 20년||Kim Soo-yong|
|1976||I Really Have a Dream||정말 꿈이 있다구||Mun Yeo-song|
|Concentration of Attention||집념||Heo Jun||Choe In-hyeon|
|Season of Love||사랑의 계절||Lee Seong-min|
|Even I Don't Know My Mind||내마음 나도 몰라||Im Won-sik|
|1975||You Become a Star, Too||너 또한 별이 되어||Lee Jang-ho|
|Yeong-ja's Heydays||영자의 전성시대||Kim Ho-sun|
|Glory in Ten's||10대의 영광||Go Yeong-nam|
|Outing in 10 Years||십년만의 외출||Seol Bong|
|End of an Affair||애종||Jung Jin-woo|
|Story of the Youth||청춘극장||Byun Jang-ho|
|Chang-su's Heydays||창수의 전성시대||Kim Sa-gyeom|
|A Northwest Youth||서북청년||Go Yeong-nam|
|1974||The Instinct||본능||Kim Soo-yong|
|A True Story of Kim Du-han||실록 김두한||Kim Hyo-cheon|
|Pupils of the Evil||악마의 제자들||Lee Seong-gu|
|The Land||토지||Kim Soo-yong|
|You and I, and Another||너와 나 그리고 또 하나||Go Yeong-nam|
|Special Investigation Bureau: The Life of Miss Kim Su-im||특별수사본부 김수임의 일생||Lee Won-se|
|A Blind Swordsman||죽장검||Shin Young-il|
|A Horrible Breath||공포의 숨소리||Park Tae-won|
|Lee Jung-seob, a Painter||이중섭||Kwak Jeong-hwan|
|An Inmate||동거인||Lee Gyeong-tae|
|Dangerous Relations||위험한 사이||Lee Seong-gu|
|Yeonhwa 2||연화(속)||Im Kwon-taek|
|Special Investigation Bureau: Bae Tae-ok Case||특별수사본부 배태옥 사건||Lee Won-se|
|1972||A Judge's Wife||판사부인||Kang Dae-sun|
|A Woman in a Mud Flat||갯벌속의 여자||Go Yeong-nam|
|Girls' High School Days||여고시절||Kang Dae-sun|
|Two Sons Crying for Their Mother's Love||모정에 우는 두아들||Lee Il-su|
|1971||My Older Brother (sequel)||형(속)||Lee Doo-yong|
|Bun-Rye's Story||분례기||Yu Hyun-mok|
|I Want to Be in Your Arms Again||그대 가슴에 다시한번||Kim Sa-gyeom|
|The First Love||첫정||Jang Yeong-guk|
|A Family of Brother and Sister||남매는 단둘이다||Moon Sang-hun|
|Darling, I'm Sorry||아내여 미안하다||Ahn Hyun-chul|
|1970||Eight Daughters-in-law||팔도며느리||Shim Wu-seob|
|A Woman's Battleground||여인전장||Shim Wu-seob|
|Underground Women's College||지하여자대학||Choi Moo-ryong|
|When We Have Hatred||당신이 미워질때||Kang Dae-jin|
|If There Were No Parting Again||이별없이 살았으면||Nam Sang-jin|
|My Life in Your Heart||내 목숨 당신 품에||Jeong Seong-mun|
|Please Turn Off the Light||방의 불을 꺼주오||Lee Hyung-pyo|
|Twisted Fate of a Man||한많은 남아일생||Kim Hyo-cheon|
|Great King Sejo||세조대왕||Lee Kyu-woong|
|House of a Stranger||타인의 집||Lee Sang-eon|
|1969||Evil Person||마인||Im Won-sik|
|Invisible Man||투명인간||Lee Kyu-woong|
|Wild Girl||야성녀||Lee Kyu-woong|
|Lost Love||어느 하늘아래서||Choi Moo-ryong|
|Sahwa Mountain||사화산||Go Yeong-nam|
|Temporary Government in Shanghai||상해 임시정부(와 김구선생)||Jo Keung-ha|
|Flower Sandals||꽃버선||Jo Keung-ha|
|For Once in a Lifetime||내 생애에 단한번||Choe In-hyeon|
|A Returned Singer||돌아온 선창||Chun Jo-myoung|
|Cruel Revenge||피도 눈물도 없다||Kim Gang-yun|
|7 People in the Cellar||지하실의 7인||Lee Seong-gu|
|Devoting the Youth||청춘을 다바쳐||Kim Ki-duk|
|Lady Hong||미녀홍낭자||Kim Ki-young|
|Chunwon Lee Gwang-su||춘원 이광수||Yi Kwang-su||Choe In-hyeon|
|First Night||첫날밤 갑자기||Kim Hyo-cheon|
|Yun Sim-deok||윤심덕||Ahn Hyun-chul|
|Jang Nok-su||요화 장록수||Lee Kyu-woong|
|The Saint and the Witch||성녀와 마녀||Na Han-bong|
|Escaping Shanghai||상해탈출||Im Kwon-taek|
|Starting Point||시발점||Kim Soo-yong|
|Snowy Night||눈나리는 밤||Ha Han-soo|
|Sky and Star||하늘을 보고 별을 따고||Jo Keung-ha|
|1968||Quick Ladder of Success||출세가도||Park Jong-ho|
|Autumn Love||추정||Yu Yeol|
|Lady in Dream||몽녀||Im Kwon-taek|
|Snow Lady||설녀||Kim Ki|
|Secret Order||밀명||Im Won-sik|
|Trees Stand on a Slope||나무들 비탈에 서다||Choi Ha-won|
|Ghost Story||괴담||Chun Jo-myoung|
|Salt Pond||수전지대||Kim Soo-yong|
|I Won't Hate You||미워하지 않겠다||Lee Hyung-pyo|
|The Sister's Diary||언니의 일기||Choe In-hyeon|
|A Police Note||형사수첩||Park Jong-ho|
|A Solar Eclipse||일식||Lee Seong-gu|
|The Eternal Motherhood||Jo Keung-ha|
|Pure Love||순정산하||Cho Woong-dae|
|Madame Anemone||아네모네 마담||Kim Ki-duk|
|Trumpet in Night Sky||밤하늘의 트럼펫||Yang Myeong-sik|
|Romance Mama||로맨스마마||Choe In-hyeon|
|A Great Hero, Kim Seon-dal||천하호걸 김선달||Im Won-jik|
|Where is He Now||지금 그 사람은||Choi Hoon|
|1967||Guests Who Arrived on the Last Train||막차로 온 손님들||Yu Hyun-mok|
|A King's Command||어명||Gang Jo-won|
|The Freezing Point||빙점||Kim Soo-yong|
|Madam of Myeong-wol Kwan||명월관 아씨||Park Jong-ho|
|I Hate Men||남자는 싫어||An Myoun-hee|
|A Traveling King||나그네 임금||Choe In-hyeon|
|Is Wild Apricot an Apricot?||개살구도 살구냐||Kim Cheol|
|The Hateful King||상감마마 미워요||Choe In-hyeon|
|Bobbed Hair||단발머리||Kim Su-dong|
|Yongary, Monster From The Deep||대괴수 용가리||Kim Ki-duk|
|When Bucketwheat Flowers Blossom||메밀꽃 필 무렵||Lee Seong-gu|
|A Regret||한||Yu Hyun-mok|
|The White Crow||하얀 까마귀||Jung Jin-woo|
|A Deviation||탈선||Go Yeong-nam|
|A Virtuous Woman||칠부열녀||Choe In-hyeon|
|Lingering Attachment||미련||Go Yeong-man|
|The Queen Moonjeong||문정왕후||Rha Bong-han|
|A Child Who Was Born in the Year of Liberation||해방동이||Park Sang-ho|
|A Misty Grassland||안개낀 초원||Go Yeong-nam|
|The Dead and the Alive||죽은 자와 산 자||Lee Kang-cheon|
|I Will Be a King for the Day||오늘은 왕||Kim Ki-duk|
|The Life of Na Woon-gyu||나운규 일생||Choi Moo-ryong|
|Year||English title||Korean title||Role||Network|
|2021||God father||갓파더||Main Cast||KBS2|
|2021||Granpar||그랜파||Cast Member||MBN |
|2013-||Grandpas Over Flowers||꽃보다 할배||cast||tvN|
|2010||연대기 - 100인의 전설||MC||KBS2|
|Year||English title||Korean title||Role||Notes|
|2021||King Lear||리어왕||King Lear|||
|2015||The Hague 1907||헤이그 1907||N/A||Director|
|2014; 2015||On Golden Pond||황금연못||Norman Thayer|
|2014||Love Tune||사랑별곡||Mr. Park|
|Sooni's Uncle||순이 삼촌||N/A||Director|
|2012||White Neutral Nation||하얀 중립국|
|2012; 2013||Father||아버지||Willy Loman|
|2010-2011; 2012||Don Quixote||돈키호테||Don Quixote|
|2008||A Life in the Theatre||라이프 인 더 씨어터||Robert|
|2006-2007||The Odd Couple||늙은 부부 이야기||Park Dong-man|
|Cyrano||시라노||Cyrano de Bergerac|
|The Taming of the Shrew||말괄량이 길들이기|
|Look Homeward, Angel||천사여 고향을 돌아보라|
|2018||2018 Korea Best Star Awards||Best Actor||Stand By Me|
|24th Korean Popular Culture and Arts Awards||Eungwan Order of Cultural Merit (2nd Class)||N/A|
|2015||10th Golden Tickets Awards||Best Theater Actor|
|2012||1st K-Drama Star Awards||Achievement Award||High Kick Through the Roof, |
Good Morning President
|2011||Korean CEO Grand Prix||Special Award, Cultural CEO category|
|20th China Golden Rooster and Hundred Flowers Film Festival||Best Actor, International Film category||Late Blossom|
|2010||1st Seoul Art & Culture Awards||Grand Prize/Daesang, Cultural Artist category|
|2009||MBC Entertainment Awards||Achievement Award||High Kick Through the Roof|
|5th Korea Green Foundation||People Who Brightened Our World|
|45th Baeksang Arts Awards||Achievement Award, TV category|
|2008||MBC Drama Awards||PD Award||Beethoven Virus|
|2007||MBC Drama Awards||Golden Acting Award, Actor in a Historical Drama||Yi San|
|MBC Entertainment Awards||Grand Prize/Daesang||Unstoppable High Kick!|
|8th Korea Visual Arts Awards||Photogenic Award|
|1st Korea Drama Awards||Achievement Award|
|Mnet 20's Choice Awards||Best Casting|
|41st Tax Payer's Day||Citation given by the Dongdaemun District Tax Office||N/A|
|2004||SBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor in a Serial Drama||The Land|
|2002||MBC Hall of Fame|
|Bo-gwan Order of Cultural Merit||N/A||N/A|
|2000||SBS Drama Awards||Achievement Award||I Want to Keep Seeing You, |
The Aspen Tree
|1984||KBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award||겨울에 심은 나무|
|1982||9th Korea Broadcasting Awards||Excellence Award in TV||Crisis|
|1979||TBC Drama Awards||Distinguished Service Award|
|1977||13th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Film Actor||Concentration of Attention|
|1974||TBC Drama Awards||Grand Prize/Daesang||연화, 사나이들|
|1972||15th Buil Film Awards||Best Actor||Bun-Rye's Story|
|1966||2nd Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Theater Actor||Look Homeward, Angel|
|Forbes||2010||Korea Power Celebrity||32nd|||
- Lee Soon-jae was born on November 16, 1934, while his registered birth date is October 10, 1935.
- "'해피투게더' 이순재 "1934년 함경북도 회령 출생"". 스타뉴스. 2014-09-11.
- Lee, Ji-young (4 August 2015). "Lee Soon-jae reflects on his 60-year career". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2015-08-06.
- "Interview with senior actors about Korean dramas". The Dong-a Ilbo. 30 September 2013. Retrieved 2014-01-24.
- "Internet Generation Discovers Pre-TV Age Actor". The Chosun Ilbo. 26 January 2007. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- Jo, Hui-mun (2003). 이순재 - 성실한 성격파 배우 [Lee Soon-jae, diligent characteristic actor]. Korean Movie Database (in Korean). Retrieved 2010-02-13.
- Go, Ji-yeon (1 October 2008). "모교 서울대 이순재 초청강연..."리더, 국민 뜻 포용해야"" Archived 2012-03-03 at the Wayback Machine. The Daily (in Korean). Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- "10+ Celebrities With Special Licenses You Never Knew They Had — Koreaboo". Koreaboo. 2017-08-15. Retrieved 2017-08-21.
- "'TV는 사랑을 싣고' 이순재, "아내, 처제 연극에서 첫만남" 묻따 직진 ♥로맨스 [종합]". The Chosun Ilbo (in Korean). 30 December 2020.
- Lee, Hyo-won (22 May 2009). "Actress Yeo Woon-gae, 69, Dies of Lung Cancer". The Korea Times. Retrieved 22 May 2009.
- 이순재 [Lee Soon-jae]. Korean Movie Database (in Korean). Retrieved 2010-02-09.
- Park, Jin-hai (9 May 2013). "Culture minister hails elderly entertainers". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- "Interview with Lee Soon-jae (September 5, 2007), who plays the role of King Young-jo in Lee San, Wind of the Palace". MBC Global Media. 3 March 2008. Retrieved 2014-06-13.
- Yoon, Won-sup (28 November 2007). "Politainers Speak Out Again in 2007 Election". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- Lee, Eun-joo (24 April 2008). "Serious politicians or image-builders?". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- Kim, Bo-ra (21 November 2012). "KBS actors protest against non-payment". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- Lee, Jeong-yoon; Kim, Sung-mi (9 March 2012). "World Traditional Medicine EXPO to be held in Sancheong in 2013". Korea IT Times. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- Ji, Yong-jin (29 March 2013). "Organizing Committee Meeting for 5th DMZ Docs Held". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
-  soompi.com. retrieved 2018-10-25
- Han, Sang-hee (1 September 2009). "Network to Bring New Sitcom, Dramas". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- Han, Sang-hee (16 September 2009). "Experienced Actors Stealing Spotlight". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- Lee, Hyo-won (22 September 2009). "Actor Jang Dong-kun Returns as President". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- Park, Sun-young (25 September 2009). "Korean stars take turns playing president". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- Cha, Hyo-jin (14 February 2013). "I Love You, The Most Beautiful Confession". Worldyan News. Archived from the original on 6 June 2014. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- Kwon, Mee-yoo (6 February 2011). "Blossom portrays love in twilight years". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- Choi, Min-ji (28 October 2011). "Lee Soon Jae Wins Best Actor Award at Major Chinese Film Awards". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- Hong, Lucia (28 October 2011). "Lee Soon-jae wins best actor award at Chinese film fest". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- Lee, So-young (5 November 2012). "What Father Means to us". The Dongguk Post. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- "An interview with Lee Soon Jae, currently headlining the play Father". LSGfan. 6 September 2012. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- "Touching and Healing Drama Father". K-PopCulture. 9 April 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- Woo, Jae-yeon (19 July 2014). "Golden Guys Get Good Ratings". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2014-09-11.
- "Senior actors lead TV show, defying youth-centered industry". The Korea Herald. 12 June 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- Lee, Sun-min (29 June 2013). "Grandpa actors get own show". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- "Grandpas' Flowery Youth". Korean Movie Database. Retrieved 2013-10-02.
- "2018 실버문화 홍보대사로 국민배우 이순재 씨 위촉". news.naver.com (in Korean). Retrieved 2020-06-16.
- Jo Ji-young (March 2, 2022). "[공식] 이준기 컴백 '어게인 마이 라이프', '악의 마음을 읽는 자들' 후속 4월 8일 첫방송 확정" [[Official] Lee Joon-gi's comeback 'Again My Life' and 'Those who read the minds of evil' follow-up first broadcast on April 8 confirmed] (in Korean). Sports Chosun. Retrieved March 2, 2022 – via Naver.
- Lee Seung-mi (December 30, 2021). "[공식]'대배우' 이순재, '옷소매 붉은 끝동' 최종회 특별출연" [[Official] 'Great Actor' Lee Soon-jae to make a special appearance in the final episode of 'Red Sleeves] (in Korean). Sports Chosun. Retrieved December 30, 2021 – via Naver.
- "리갈하이' 대배우 이순재 전격 합류…진구와 '코믹호흡'". JTBC News (in Korean). 3 January 2019.
- Jo Ji-young (April 8, 2022). "[공식] 김환희X유선X이순재 주연 '안녕하세요' 5월 개봉 확정" [[Official] 'Hello' starring Kim Hwan-hee X Yoo Seon X Lee Soon-jae confirmed for release in May] (in Korean). Sports Chosun. Retrieved April 8, 2022 – via Naver.
- Lee, Hyo-won (5 May 2008). "Park Kyung-ni's Works Translated Onscreen". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- Lee Woong-hee (September 17, 2021). "KBS2 신규 예능 '갓파더' 이순재, 주현, 김갑수 '국민 아버지' 출격" [KBS2 new entertainment 'Godfather' Lee Soon-jae, Joo-hyeon, Kim Gap-soo's 'National Father' scramble]. Sports Seoul (in Korean). Retrieved September 17, 2021 – via Naver.
- Shin So-won (May 27, 2021). "이순재X박근형X백일섭X임하룡, 골프 예능 '그랜파' 뭉친" [Lee Soon-jae X Park Geun-hyeong X Baek Il-seop X Lim Ha-ryong, golf entertainment 'Grandpa' united 다]. TenAsia (in Korean). Retrieved May 27, 2021 – via Naver.
- Yoon Yeo-su (June 11, 2021). "리어왕'이 된 이순재…"65년 연기인생의 꿈". Never (in Korean). Sports Donga. Retrieved June 11, 2021.
- Yim, Seung-hye (8 April 2014). "Play delves into a well-aged love". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-05-19.
- "이순재·김윤석·장동건·수애, 베스트 주연상 수상..12일 시상식 [공식입장]". Osen (in Korean). December 12, 2018.
- "대중문화예술상 은관문화훈장에 이순재·김민기·조동진". Yonhap News (in Korean). October 16, 2018.
- Ko, Kyoung-seok (30 December 2009). "Yoo Jae-seok wins grand prize at MBC Entertainment Awards". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- "Celebrity List". JoongAng Ilbo (in Korean). February 23, 2010. Retrieved May 24, 2021 – via Joins.