Novhorodske (Ukrainian: Новгородське, formerly until 1951 New York (Нью-Йорк, officially romanized Niu-York), is an urban settlement in Donetsk Oblast of eastern Ukraine, at 37.9 km NNE from the centre of Donetsk city. Novhorodske is administratively subordinated to Toretsk city, that is located about 10 km north of Novhorodske. Population: 10,064 (2020 est.)
|Founded||2nd half of 18th century|
|Elevation||106 m (348 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
|Area code||+380 6247|
The settlement first appeared on maps in 1846 under its original name New York and was then situated in the Yekaterinoslav Governorate of the Russian Empire. According to official data, in 1859 the village consisted of 13 households, 45 male residents, 40 female residents, and a factory.
In 1951, by the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Ukrainian SSR, the village was renamed Novhorodske. A request for renaming the settlement back to New York has been submitted by the Civil–military administration of Donetsk Oblast and was approved by the Ukrainian parliament's Committee on the Organization of State Power, Local Self-Government, Regional Development and Urban Planning on 3 February 2021 (18 votes "for" and 1 "against").
- "Чисельність наявного населення України (Actual population of Ukraine)" (PDF) (in Ukrainian). State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Retrieved 30 September 2020.
- (in Ukrainian) "The last step remains." The Council Committee supported the renaming of one of the settlements in the Donbas to New York, NV (magazine) (3 February 2021)
- (in Ukrainian) New York will be returned to Ukraine. This was supported by the Council Committee, Ukrayinska Pravda (3 February 2021)
- "Сводные данные АТО – 09 ноября" [Summary information on ATO as of 9 November] (in Russian). NSDC. 9 November 2016. Retrieved 9 November 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Розподіл населення за рідною мовою на ukrcensus.gov.ua
Media related to Novhorodske at Wikimedia Commons