Mike Perry (fighter)
|Born||Michael Joseph Perry|
September 15, 1991
Flint, Michigan, United States
|Residence||Orlando, Florida, United States|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (178 cm)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st 2 lb)|
|Reach||71 in (180 cm)|
|Team||Jackson-Wink MMA (previously) |
Fusion X-Cel (2019–2020)
MMA Masters (2021–present)
|Rank||Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Paul Rodriguez and Julien Williams|
|Professional boxing record|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Boxing record from BoxRec|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Perry was born in Flint, Michigan, on September 15, 1991. For much of his life, he moved around to different schools between Michigan and Florida. He said, "(In Michigan) I was one of maybe 10 white kids in the whole school, so I was bullied a lot. It was the same thing at other schools. I wouldn’t back down, so I would get into fights." This instability led him to a path of drugs, house arrest, probation violation, and jail. Perry started training boxing at age 11. Upon his release from jail for burglary, he got a job as a trainer at a UFC gym in Winter Springs, Florida. His work as a trainer led to his career as a fighter.
Mixed martial arts career
Perry made his professional debut in September 2014, after completing 11 amateur fights with a record of 8–3. He competed for several regional promotions across the United States. In just under two years, he fought nine times while finishing all of his opponents via KO/TKO.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Perry made his UFC debut on short notice against Lim Hyun-gyu on August 20, 2016, at UFC 202, after Sultan Aliev pulled out due to injury. At the official weigh-ins, Perry faked a handshake with Lim then put his hands up yelling to Lim, "You thought you had a friend, boy!" before screaming at his opponent. He defeated Lim via TKO in the first round after Perry dropped him twice with right hands, dropped him again with a left hook and then followed up with ground and pound before the referee jumped in to stop the fight.
During the fight against Lim, Perry's cornerman and fellow fighter Alex Nicholson shouted during the pre-fight introductions, "He can't even open his motherfucking eyes." Nicholson was accused of racism for this, as Lim is Korean. Nicholson later addressed the comment on Twitter, saying, "I respect every man who steps in the cage and my comments were insensitive towards Lim I was hype for my brother but It's all love no hate." On the Monday following the fight Perry said on The MMA Hour, "I don't think any of my competition can see me, and when I hit Lim, I opened a lot of people's eyes."
Perry faced Danny Roberts on October 8, 2016, at UFC 204. At the official weigh-ins, Perry took a bite from a bar of chocolate and then told Roberts he was going to eat him alive. He defeated Roberts via KO late in the third round after Perry hurt him with a knee from the clinch, dropped him with a right hand and then followed up with ground and pound before the referee jumped in to stop the fight. The referee Marc Goddard appeared to stop the fight late, issuing an apology after the event via Twitter.
Perry faced Alan Jouban, on December 17, 2016, at UFC on Fox 22. At the official weigh-ins, Perry took a polaroid photo of Jouban and then tried to hand the photo to him as they traded words, but Jouban slapped it away with his hand and Perry aggressively feigned movement towards him while sticking his tongue out. He lost the fight by unanimous decision.
Perry faced Jake Ellenberger on April 22, 2017, at UFC Fight Night 108. He defeated Ellenberger via KO in the second round after Perry dropped him with a left hook early in round two then finished with a standing elbow from the clinch 30 seconds later. Perry was awarded a $50,000 Performance of the Night bonus.
Perry was expected to face Thiago Alves on September 16, 2017, at UFC Fight Night 116. Alves was pulled from the event and was replaced by promotional newcomer Alex Reyes. Perry won the fight via knockout in the first round. The win also earned Perry his second Performance of the Night bonus award.
Perry was expected to face Yancy Medeiros on July 7, 2018, at UFC 226. However, Medeiros pulled out of the fight on June 27, citing a rib injury. The following day, it was announced that Paul Felder would step in to face Perry in a Welterweight bout at the same event. Perry won the fight via split decision.
Perry faced Donald Cerrone on November 10, 2018, at UFC Fight Night 139. Perry lost the fight via submission due to an armbar in round one, marking the first time he had been finished in a professional mixed martial arts contest.
After the fight with Cerrone, Perry signed a new four-fight contract with the UFC and faced Alex Oliveira on April 27, 2019 at UFC Fight Night: Jacaré vs. Hermansson. He won the back-and-forth fight by unanimous decision. The win also earned Perry his first Fight of the Night bonus award.
Perry faced Vicente Luque on August 10, 2019, at UFC on ESPN+ 14. He lost the fight via split decision. This fight earned him the Fight of the Night award. As a result, Perry was expected to be sidelined for the remainder of 2019 after undergoing surgery to correct facial injuries sustained during the Luque fight.
Perry was expected to face Robbie Lawler on November 21, 2020, at UFC 255. However, Lawler pulled out of the fight in late October, citing an undisclosed injury. Perry instead faced Tim Means at the same event. At the weigh-ins on November 20, Perry missed weight, weighing in at 175.5 pounds, over the non-title welterweight limit of 171.0 pounds. As a result, the bout proceeded at a catchweight and Perry was fined 30 percent of his purse, which went to Means. Perry lost the fight via unanimous decision.
Perry married professional tennis player Danielle Nickerson in 2019, after five years of dating. They separated in 2020. For his fight against Mickey Gall in June 2020, Perry's corner consisted solely of his girlfriend Latory Gonzalez. On January 6, 2021, Gonzalez gave birth to their first son, Ocean.
Homophobic and racist slurs
Perry has received criticism for his use of homophobic and racist slurs. In response to complaints by fans and fellow mixed martial artists over his use of the word "nigga", Perry posted a video on social media to state that a DNA test had shown he has 2% African ancestry. Perry issued a public apology for his past use of the N-word and vowed not to use it again, an act for his son for he wished his son would not act like him.
Domestic violence allegations
On October 20, 2020, Perry's ex-wife Danielle Nickerson gave an interview to industry website MMA Junkie in which she described repeated incidents of alleged verbal and physical abuse from Perry. She claims that one night during an argument in February 2020, Perry became angry after an altercation with a woman at a bar, and once they were home, Perry took his frustrations out on Nickerson by taking her to the ground and hitting her with a barrage of punches, causing her face to bruise. She also stated that after the incident, she was picked up by Perry's mother and was taken to her home, and that when Perry later arrived at his mother's home, Perry's mother locked him out and called 911. She also alleged that during a prior incident, Perry struck her in the forehead while wearing his wedding ring and left a hematoma. She also stated that it got so bad that once her and Perry split, Nickerson immediately filed for a restraining order against Perry. Perry denies the allegations and no charges were filed.
Street fight in Orlando
On New Years' Eve 2016, Perry was involved in an altercation in Orlando, Florida. A stranger had allegedly approached Perry's girlfriend, and punched Perry after Perry told him to go away, causing a fight that left the stranger unconscious after Perry landed a left hook.
Restaurant fights in Texas
In July 2020, Perry was questioned by police due to an incident at a restaurant in Lubbock, Texas, where three people were allegedly assaulted. Part of the incident was filmed, showing an elderly man and Perry in a heated dispute. The man lunged towards Perry, and Perry threw a right-hand punch. The man was unconscious when police arrived on the scene, and was hospitalized. Perry was charged with class A assault, a misdemeanor. Perry said his actions were a response to others initiating physical contact with him. Perry also reportedly was involved in a physical altercation with a woman, attacked a restaurant staffer, and repeatedly used the racial slur "nigga" during the incident.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|22 matches||14 wins||8 losses|
|Loss||14–8||Daniel Rodriguez||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on ABC: Vettori vs. Holland||April 10, 2021||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||14–7||Tim Means||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 255||November 21, 2020||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Catchweight (175.5 lb) bout; Perry missed weight.|
|Win||14–6||Mickey Gall||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on ESPN: Poirier vs. Hooker||June 27, 2020||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||13–6||Geoff Neal||TKO (head kick and punches)||UFC 245||December 14, 2019||1||1:30||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||13–5||Vicente Luque||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Shevchenko vs. Carmouche 2||August 10, 2019||3||5:00||Montevideo, Uruguay||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||13–4||Alex Oliveira||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Jacaré vs. Hermansson||April 27, 2019||3||5:00||Sunrise, Florida, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||12–4||Donald Cerrone||Submission (armbar)||UFC Fight Night: Korean Zombie vs. Rodríguez||November 10, 2018||1||4:46||Denver, Colorado, United States|
|Win||12–3||Paul Felder||Decision (split)||UFC 226||July 7, 2018||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||11–3||Max Griffin||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Emmett vs. Stephens||February 24, 2018||3||5:00||Orlando, Florida, United States|
|Loss||11–2||Santiago Ponzinibbio||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Lawler vs. dos Anjos||December 16, 2017||3||5:00||Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada|
|Win||11–1||Alex Reyes||KO (knee)||UFC Fight Night: Rockhold vs. Branch||September 16, 2017||1||1:19||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||10–1||Jake Ellenberger||KO (elbow)||UFC Fight Night: Swanson vs. Lobov||April 22, 2017||2||1:05||Nashville, Tennessee, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Loss||9–1||Alan Jouban||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: VanZant vs. Waterson||December 17, 2016||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||9–0||Danny Roberts||KO (knee and punches)||UFC 204||October 8, 2016||3||4:40||Manchester, England|
|Win||8–0||Hyun Gyu Lim||TKO (punches)||UFC 202||August 20, 2016||1||3:38||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||7–0||David Mundell||KO (punches)||Battleground: Perry vs. Mundell||May 14, 2016||2||4:10||Kissimmee, Florida, United States|
|Win||6–0||Frank Carrillo||KO (punch)||Square Ring Promotions: Island Fights 37||March 11, 2016||1||3:40||Pensacola, Florida, United States|
|Win||5–0||Jon Manley||TKO (knees and punches)||Premier FC 18||November 14, 2015||2||3:32||Springfield, Massachusetts, United States|
|Win||4–0||Micheal Roberts||KO (punches)||Bahamas Open Martial Arts Championship 2||August 29, 2015||1||5:16||New Providence, Bahamas||Welterweight debut.|
|Win||3–0||Preston Parsons||TKO (punches)||House of Fame 3: Riverside Beatdown||July 10, 2015||1||4:49||Jacksonville, Florida, United States||Catchweight (160 lb) bout.|
|Win||2–0||James Rodriguez||KO (punches)||Florida Championship Fighting||January 30, 2015||1||2:22||Orlando, Florida, United States|
|Win||1–0||Hector Tirado||KO (punches)||Top Alliance Combat 3||September 6, 2014||1||3:52||McDonough, Georgia, United States|
Professional boxing record
|1 fight||0 wins||1 loss|
|1||Loss||0–1||Kenneth McNeil||KO||4 (4), 0:52||March 28, 2015||Pensacola, Florida, United States|
- "Mike Perry | UFC". UFC.com. Retrieved April 11, 2021. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- E. Spencer Kyte (April 25, 2019). "No place like home for Mike Perry". ufc.com.
- Farah Hannoun (May 23, 2020). "Mike Perry done with coaches, says only his girlfriend will corner next UFC fight". mmajunkie.com.
- @platinummikeperry (February 12, 2021). "As the notorious @davidgoggins would say "We out here getting HARD" It's a privilege to work with this great team" – via Instagram.
- @platinummikeperry (August 14, 2017). "Coaches #JulienWilliams and #PaulRodriguez both very experienced black belts and the best grapplers I know gave me my purple belt (...)". Retrieved December 16, 2017 – via Instagram.
- Nagal, Kyle. "Fight Path: Mike Perry pushed through rocky patch to get to a life of MMA". MMAjunkie. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- Reddick, Jay. "Mike Perry rises from Florida jail to UFC stardom". orlandosentinel.com. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- "The underground profile". mixedmartialarts.com. 2016-10-08. Retrieved 2016-10-15.
- Staff (2016-08-04). "Mike Perry replaces Aliev at UFC 202". fightsports.tv. Archived from the original on 2016-08-22. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- "UFC 202: Mike Perry makes impressive debut with brutal first round knockout". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
- Dave Doyle (2016-08-20). "UFC 202 results: Mike Perry power punches his way to TKO win over Hyun Gyu Lim". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-10-15.
- "Mike Perry defends corner's racist taunts: 'I don't believe there was any harm intended'". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2018-11-16.
- "UFC issue statement on Nicholson's racial remarks". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2018-11-16.
- "Cries Of Racism Overshadow UFC Win". MMAmania.com. Retrieved 2018-11-16.
- Sydnie Jones (2016-08-30). "UFC Remains Blissfully Indifferent to Bigotry After Mike Perry's Corner Fiasco". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 2017-04-24.
- Joe Rimmer (2016-08-26). "Danny Roberts to fight at UFC 204 in Manchester against unbeaten Mike Perry". liverpoolecho.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- Sami Chamoun (2016-10-12). "The Moment You Probably Missed During Mike Perry's UFC 204 Weigh-in". craziestsportsfights.com. Retrieved 2017-05-15.[permanent dead link]
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-10-08). "UFC 204 results: Mike Perry finishes Danny Roberts with 20 seconds left in fight courtesy of knee". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-10-15.
- MMAjunkie Staff (2016-10-10). "Ref Marc Goddard weighs in on his late stoppage in UFC 204's Perry-Roberts bout". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-05-15.
- Brian Martin (2016-10-17). "Alan Jouban vs. Mike Perry added to UFC Sacramento card". dailynews.com. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- Themistoklis Alexis (2016-12-17). "UFC Sacramento weigh-ins feature photoshoot, dance-off". thescore.com. Retrieved 2017-05-15.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-12-17). "UFC on FOX 22 results: Disciplined Alan Jouban tops Mike Perry in main-card opener". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-01-05.
- Dave Doyle (2017-03-03). "Jake Ellenberger vs. Mike Perry set for UFC Nashville". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- Ben Fowlkes (2017-04-23). "UFC Fight Night 108 results: Mike Perry knocks out Jake Ellenberger with devastating elbow". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-04-23.
- Tristen Critchfield (2017-04-23). "UFC Fight Night 108 bonuses: Swanson, Lobov, Perry, Moreno garner $50K checks". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2017-04-23.
- Ariel Helwani (2017-07-19). "Alves vs. Perry, Lombard vs. Smith slated for UFN: Pittsburgh". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- "UFC Fight Night 116 Results: Mike Perry KO's Alex Reyes (VIDEO) | BJPenn.com". | BJPenn.com. 2017-09-16. Retrieved 2017-09-17.
- Mazique, Brian. "UFC Fight Night 116 Results, Bonus Winners, Fight Scores, Highlights, Attendance & Gate Info". Forbes. Retrieved 2017-09-17.
- "Santiago Ponzinibbio enfrenta Mike Perry no UFC On Fox 26". MMA Brasil (in Portuguese). 2017-10-13. Retrieved 2017-10-13.
- "UFC on FOX 26 results: Santiago Ponzinibbio edges Mike Perry in 3-round thriller". MMAjunkie. 2017-12-17. Retrieved 2017-12-17.
- Jordan Breen (2018-01-08). "Mike Perry gets hometown duty versus Max Griffin at UFC on Fox 28 in Orlando". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2018-01-08.
- "UFC on FOX 28 results: Heavy underdog Max Griffin works over Mike Perry for upset". MMAjunkie. 2018-02-25. Retrieved 2018-02-25.
- "Mike Perry vs. Yancy Medeiros slated for UFC 226". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2018-04-18.
- Mike Bohn and John Morgan (2018-06-28). "Yancy Medeiros out of UFC 226; replacement needed for Mike Perry". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-06-28.
- "UFC 226 results: Mike Perry gets past Paul Felder in grueling, bloody battle". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2018-07-08.
- John Morgan (2018-07-20). "Donald Cerrone, Mike Perry to throw down at UFC Denver". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-07-20.
- Ravens, Andrew (2018-11-11). "Highlights: Donald Cerrone Taps Mike Perry". LowKickMMA.com. Retrieved 2018-11-11.
- Mike Bohn (April 25, 2019). "Mike Perry plans to 'spark some controversy' after tough weight cut for UFC on ESPN+ 8". mmajunkie.com.
- >Tristen Critchfield. "Mike Perry Replaces Jingliang Li, Meets Alex Oliveira at UFC on ESPN 3 in Fort Lauderdale". sherdog. Retrieved 2019-03-27.
- Ken Rodney (April 27, 2019). "Perry returns to Florida gym, ready to sprawl and brawl Oliveira". tsn.ca.
- MMA Junkie Staff (2019-04-27). "UFC on ESPN+ 8 bonuses: Of course Mike Perry and Alex Oliveira were 'Fight of the Night'". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-04-28.
- Tristen Critchfield (2019-07-03). "Vicente Luque to meet Mike Perry in UFC Uruguay co-headliner on Aug. 10". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2019-07-03.
- Harshman, Heath (2019-08-10). "UFC Uruguay Results: Vicente Luque Battles Mike Perry to Bloody Split-Decision Win". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2019-08-11.
- Fernando Quiles Jr. (2019-08-11). "UFC Uruguay Bonuses & Attendance Revealed • MMA News". mmanews.com. Retrieved 2019-08-11.
- Mike Bohn (2018-08-11). "Mike Perry facing lengthy recovery timeline after surgery for broken nose". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-08-11.
- Cruz, Guilherme (2019-10-31). "Mike Perry vs. Geoff Neal booked for UFC 245 in December". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2019-11-06.
- Martin, Damon (2019-12-14). "UFC 245 video: Geoff Neal demolishes Mike Perry with vicious first-round TKO". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- DNA, MMA. "Mike Perry treft Mickey Gall tijdens UFC evenement op 27 juni". Retrieved 2020-06-11.
- Fuentes, Jon (2020-06-27). "UFC on ESPN 12 Results: Mike Perry Outclasses Mickey Gall". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2020-06-28.
- Mike Allesandrini (2020-09-24). "Lawler vs. Perry booked for UFC 255". thescore.com. Retrieved 2020-09-24.
- Danny Segura and Mike Bohn (2020-10-28). "Robbie Lawler out of UFC 255 bout with Mike Perry due to injury". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-10-28.
- Simon Samano (2020-11-02). "Mike Perry to fight Tim Means at UFC 255 after Robbie Lawler withdraws". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-11-02.
- Jesse Holland (November 20, 2020). "Video: Mike Perry misses weight for UFC 255, lives to tell about it". MMA Mania. Retrieved November 20, 2020.
- Doherty, Dan (2020-11-21). "UFC 255 Results: Strong Jab of Tim Means Defeats Mike Perry". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2020-11-22.
- Kini, Abhinav (2021-02-16). "Report: Mike Perry vs. Daniel Rodriguez Slated For UFC's April 10 Event". LowKickMMA.com. Retrieved 2021-02-17.
- Doherty, Dan (2021-04-10). "UFC Vegas 23 Results: Daniel Rodriguez Batters Mike Perry". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2021-04-10.
- Hannoun, Farah. "Al Iaquinta to face Mike Perry in grappling match at Submission Underground 11". MMA Junkie. Retrieved 11 April 2020.
- Harkness, Ryan. "Highlights: Mike Perry beats Al Iaquinta at Submission Underground 11". MMA Mania. Retrieved 11 April 2020.
- Shelton, Cole. "Submission Underground 11 Results & Highlights". BJPenn.com. Retrieved 11 April 2020.
- "Mike Perry hoping new girlfriend brings 'peace and quiet' as only corner member at UFC Fight Night". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2020-07-09.
- "Mike Perry's move to scrap his corner crew for his girlfriend worked, and fans loved it". sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2020-07-09.
- Jesse Holland (January 6, 2021). "Embattled UFC fighter Mike Perry now a father despite hospital 'scare' in Miami". mmamania.com.
- Latory Gonzalez (January 7, 2021). "Ocean Michael Perry oh how we love you so much baby boy 1/6/2021". instagram.com.
- Nathan McCarter (2017-04-23). "UFC Fight Night 108 Results: The Real Winners and Losers from Nashville". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 2017-04-24.
- "Mike Perry once again uses 'n-word,' Tyron Woodley gives him a pass on it". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2018-11-16.
- Ben Fowlkes (2018-10-30). "Oh no, Mike Perry, what are you even doing with this promo, man?". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-11-16.
- Chris Perez (2018-10-30). "UFC fighter under fire for 'racist' Native American promo video". New York Post. Retrieved 2018-11-16.
- "UFC fighter Mike Perry seen on video punching man, using racial slurs after argument in Texas bar". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- "UFC's Mike Perry apologizes for using N-word, vows not to again". MMA Junkie. 2021-02-02. Retrieved 2021-02-03.
- Simon Samano (October 20, 2020). "'He was just uncontrollable': Mike Perry's ex-wife, Danielle Nickerson, speaks out on alleged abuse". MMA Junkie. Retrieved October 20, 2020.
- "UFC's 'Platinum' Mike Perry Says He KO'd a Guy for Hitting on His GF". TMZ. Retrieved 2020-07-09.
- 161385360554578 (2020-03-27). "Watch UFC welterweight Mike Perry brutally KO drunken man outside of Orlando nightclub". talkSPORT. Retrieved 2020-07-09.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- Marrocco, Steven (2020-07-08). "Video: Mike Perry punches older man in bar dispute, police say three assaulted". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2020-07-09.
- "Video shows UFC's Mike Perry punch older man in restaurant altercation". MMA Junkie. 2020-07-09. Retrieved 2020-07-09.
- "UFC's Mike Perry Punches Old Man In Restaurant Tirade ... Allegedly Struck 3 People". TMZ. July 8, 2020.
- Sherdog.com. "Mike". Sherdog. Retrieved 2019-08-10.
- "Mike Perry's career boxing record". Boxrec.com. Retrieved April 14, 2017.