UFC Fight Night: Korean Zombie vs. Rodríguez
UFC Fight Night: Korean Zombie vs. Rodríguez (also known as UFC Fight Night 139) was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that was held on November 10, 2018 at Pepsi Center in Denver, Colorado, United States.
|UFC Fight Night: Korean Zombie vs. Rodríguez|
The poster for UFC Fight Night: Korean Zombie vs. Rodríguez.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||November 10, 2018|
The UFC celebrated its 25th Anniversary at this event, given its first event took place on November 12, 1993, in Denver at the now-demolished McNichols Sports Arena. UFC officials went to a throwback theme for the event, using the original UFC logo, and non-Fox related television graphics were based on the original pay-per-view broadcast.
A featherweight bout between former UFC Lightweight Champion Frankie Edgar and former UFC Featherweight Championship challenger Chan Sung Jung was expected to serve as the event headliner. However on October 26, it was reported that Edgar pulled out due to injury and was replaced by The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America featherweight winner Yair Rodríguez.
Ricardo Ramos was expected to face Ricky Simon at the event. However on October 15, it was reported that Ramos pulled out due to a hand injury, and in turn, Simon was removed from the card as well.
A lightweight bout between Beneil Dariush and Chris Gruetzemacher was expected to take place at the event. However on October 19, it was reported Gruetzemacher withdrew from the event due to undisclosed reasons and was replaced by promotional newcomer Thiago Moisés.
A women's strawweight bout between Maycee Barber and Maia Stevenson was expected to take place at the event. However on October 20, it was reported that Stevenson pulled out from the event due to injury and was replaced by promotional newcomer Hannah Cifers.
A light heavyweight bout between Alonzo Menifield and Saparbek Safarov was expected to take place at the event. However it was reported on October 21, that Safarov pulled out from the event for undisclosed reasons and the bout was scrapped. Menifield will be rescheduled for another event.
A bout between former UFC Flyweight Championship challengers Ray Borg and Joseph Benavidez was expected to take place at the event. However, Borg pulled out on November 7 due to medical issues and the bout was cancelled.
At the weigh-ins, former UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship challenger Raquel Pennington weighed in at 138 lbs, 2 pounds over the bantamweight non-title fight limit of 136 lbs. She was fined 20 percent of her purse, which went to her opponent former UFC Women's Featherweight Champion Germaine de Randamie and the bout proceeded at catchweight.
|Main Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Featherweight||Yair Rodríguez||def.||Chan Sung Jung||KO (elbow)||5||4:59||[a]|
|Welterweight||Donald Cerrone||def.||Mike Perry||Submission (armbar)||1||4:46|
|Catchweight (138 lbs)||Germaine de Randamie||def.||Raquel Pennington||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Beneil Dariush||def.||Thiago Moisés||Decision (unanimous) (30–25, 30–25, 30–26)||3||5:00|
|Women's Strawweight||Maycee Barber||def.||Hannah Cifers||TKO (punches)||2||2:01|
|Lightweight||Michael Trizano||def.||Luis Peña||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Women's Strawweight||Ashley Yoder||def.||Amanda Cooper||Decision (split) (29–28, 27–30, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Bobby Moffett||def.||Chas Skelly||Technical Submission (brabo choke)||2||2:43|
|Lightweight||Davi Ramos||def.||John Gunther||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||1:57|
|Lightweight||Devonte Smith||def.||Julian Erosa||KO (punches)||1||0:46|
|Early Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Flyweight||Eric Shelton||def.||Joseph Morales||Decision (split) (29–28, 27–30, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||Mark De La Rosa||def.||Joby Sanchez||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 30–27)||3||5:00|
- Latest finish in UFC history.
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Yair Rodríguez vs. Chan Sung Jung
- Performance of the Night: Yair Rodríguez and Donald Cerrone
- Staff (2018-11-11). "UFC Fight Night 139 draws announced 11,426 attendance for $946,700 live gate". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-11-11.
- Staff (2018-07-08). "UFC announces rest of 2018 schedule from September through end of year". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-07-09.
- Sara Grant (2018-07-07). "UFC announces official 25th anniversary Fight Night was in Denver". denverpost.com. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
- Blue Corner (2018-11-10). "UFC Fight Night 139 broadcast goes retro for 25th anniversary". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-11-14.
- Brett Okamoto (2018-07-20). "Frankie Edgar-Chan Sung Jung bout is set for UFC Fight Night on Nov. 10". espn.com. Retrieved 2018-07-20.
- Marc Raimondi (2018-10-26). "Frankie Edgar out of UFC Denver main event, Yair Rodriguez steps in against Chan Sung Jung". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-10-26.
- Guilherme Cruz (2018-10-16). "Ricardo Ramos injured, out of UFC Denver fight with Ricky Simon". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-10-16.
- Joe Nguyen (2018-10-23). "UFC Denver 25th anniversary card changes announced". denverpost.com. Retrieved 2018-10-24.
- Marcel Dorff (2018-10-19). "Thiago Moisés takes a short notice match against Beneil Dariush at UFC Denver" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2018-10-19.
- Marcel Dorff (2018-10-20). "Hannah Cifers replaces Maia Stevenson against Maycee Barber at UFC Denver" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2018-10-21.
- Marcel Dorff (2018-10-21). "Alonzo Menifield vs. Saparbek Safarov canceled for UFC Denver" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2018-10-22.
- Marcel Dorff (2018-11-04). "Joby Sanchez grabs short notice party against Mark de la Rosa in Denver" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2018-11-05.
- Dave Doyle (2018-11-07). "Ray Borg ruled out of fight against Joseph Benavidez at UFC Denver". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- Anton Tabuena (2018-11-09). "UFC Denver weigh-in results and video: Korean Zombie 146, Rodriguez 145.5". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2018-11-09.
- "UFC Fight Night: Korean Zombie vs. Rodríguez". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- Staff (2018-11-11). "UFC Fight Night 139 bonuses: Yair Rodriguez doubles up for $100,000 in Denver". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-11-11.