UFC 226: Miocic vs. Cormier was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship held on July 7, 2018, at the T-Mobile Arena in Paradise, Nevada, part of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Area.
|UFC 226: Miocic vs. Cormier|
The poster for UFC 226: Miocic vs. Cormier.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||July 7, 2018|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
The event took place during the UFC's annual International Fight Week.
A UFC Heavyweight Championship bout between current champion Stipe Miocic and current UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Daniel Cormier headlined the event. They also served as the head coaches of The Ultimate Fighter: Undefeated. If successful, Cormier would become only the second fighter to be champion in two divisions simultaneously (after Conor McGregor who won the UFC Lightweight Championship at UFC 205 when he was the reigning UFC Featherweight Champion) as well as the fifth overall to win a title in different divisions. This was the third time in UFC history that champions in different divisions fought for the same title, following UFC 94 and UFC 205.
A UFC Featherweight Championship bout between current champion Max Holloway and Brian Ortega was expected to take place at the event. However, on July 4, Holloway was pulled from the fight due to "concussion like symptoms". As a result, Ortega was removed from the card as well.
Paulo Costa was scheduled to face Uriah Hall at UFC Fight Night: Barboza vs. Lee. However, Costa pulled out of the fight in mid-March with an arm injury. In turn, promotion officials elected to pull Hall from that event entirely and rescheduled the pairing for this event.
The Ultimate Fighter: Live lightweight winner Michael Chiesa was expected to face former WEC and UFC Lightweight Champion Anthony Pettis at UFC 223, but was pulled from the bout due to multiple cuts from a broken window as a result of the Team SBG bus melee. The bout eventually took place at this event.
At the weigh-ins, Chiesa weighed in at 157.5 pounds, 1.5 pounds over the lightweight non-title fight limit of 156 pounds. His bout against Pettis was contested at catchweight and he forfeited 30 percent of his purse.
|Heavyweight||Daniel Cormier||def.||Stipe Miocic (c)||KO (punches)||1||4:33||[a]|
|Heavyweight||Derrick Lewis||def.||Francis Ngannou||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Mike Perry||def.||Paul Felder||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Catchweight (157.5 lbs)||Anthony Pettis||def.||Michael Chiesa||Submission (triangle armbar)||2||0:52|
|Light Heavyweight||Khalil Rountree Jr.||def.||Gökhan Saki||TKO (punches)||1||1:36|
|Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Middleweight||Paulo Costa||def.||Uriah Hall||TKO (punches)||2||2:38|
|Bantamweight||Raphael Assunção||def.||Rob Font||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Drakkar Klose||def.||Lando Vannata||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Curtis Millender||def.||Max Griffin||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Lightweight||Dan Hooker||def.||Gilbert Burns||KO (punches)||1||2:28|
|Women's Strawweight||Emily Whitmire||def.||Jamie Moyle||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
- For the UFC Heavyweight Championship.
The following fighters received $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: None awarded
- Performance of the Night: Daniel Cormier, Anthony Pettis, Khalil Rountree Jr. and Paulo Costa
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses. The total disclosed payout for the event was $2,737,000.
- Daniel Cormier: $500,000 (no win bonus) def. Stipe Miocic: $750,000
- Derrick Lewis: $260,000 (includes $130,000 win bonus) def. Francis Ngannou: $100,000
- Mike Perry: $80,000 ($40,000 win bonus) def. Paul Felder: $46,000
- Anthony Pettis: $289,400 ($135,000 win bonus) def. Michael Chiesa: $25,600*
- Khalil Rountree Jr.: $38,000 ($19,000 win bonus) def. Gokhan Saki: $85,000
- Paulo Costa: $110,000 ($55,000 win bonus) def. Uriah Hall: $48,000
- Raphael Assunção: $130,000 ($60,000 win bonus) def. Rob Font: $33,000
- Drakkar Klose: $44,000 ($22,000 win bonus) def. Lando Vannata: $25,000
- Curtis Millender: $30,000 ($15,000 win bonus) def. Max Griffin: $20,000
- Daniel Hooker: $60,000 ($30,000 win bonus) def. Gilbert Burns: $31,000
- Emily Whitmire: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Jamie Moyle: $12,000
^ Chiesa was fined $11,400, 30 percent of his purse for failing to make the required weight for his fight with Anthony Pettis. That money was issued to Pettis, an NSAC official confirmed.
- Staff (2018-07-08). "UFC 226 draws announced attendance of 17,464 for $5.677 million live gate". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-07-08.
- Dave Meltzer (2018-07-27). "UFC 226 pay-per-view number and what it says about the sport". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2019-02-25.
- Simon Samano (2017-12-30). "UFC sets five dates for Las Vegas events in 2018". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-01-26.
- Ariel Helwani (2018-01-26). "Stipe Miocic and Daniel Cormier set for champion vs. champion superfight at UFC 226; will also coach TUF 27". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-01-26.
- Mike Bohn (2018-04-20). "Max Holloway vs. Brian Ortega title fight set for UFC 226 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-04-21.
- Mike Bohn (2018-07-04). "Max Holloway out of UFC 226, hospitalized with concussion-like symptoms". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-07-04.
- Mike Bohn and John Morgan (2018-07-05). "Brian Ortega scratched from UFC 226 after champ Max Holloway withdraws". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-07-05.
- Damon Martin (2017-11-28). "Gokhan Saki out of UFC 219; Khalil Rountree Jr. gets new opponent for year end card". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- Marcel Dorff (2018-04-13). "Gökhan Saki and Khalil Rountree Jr. rescheduled during UFC 226 in Las Vegas" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- Staff (2018-03-13). "Biceps injury knocks Paulo Costa out of fight with Uriah Hall at UFC-Atlantic City". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-03-13.
- Michael Fiedel (2018-04-18). "According to Paulo Costa his fight with Uriah Hall rebooked for UFC 226". mma-today.com. Retrieved 2018-04-18.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2018-04-05). "Michael Chiesa vs. Anthony Pettis scratched from UFC 223 after Conor McGregor incident". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- Dave Doyle (2018-04-30). "Michael Chiesa vs. Anthony Pettis rescheduled for UFC 226". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- Mike Bohn and John Morgan (2018-06-28). "Yancy Medeiros out of UFC 226; replacement needed for Mike Perry". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-06-28.
- Matt McNulty (2018-06-28). "Paul Felder replaces Yancy Medeiros against Mike Perry at UFC 226". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2018-06-28.
- Ken Pishna (2018-07-06). "Michael Chiesa misses weight for UFC 226, announces move to welterweight". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2018-07-06.
- "UFC 226: Miocic vs. Cormier". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2018-01-26.
- Staff (2018-07-08). "UFC 226 bonuses: Daniel Cormier, not surprisingly, among $50,000 winners in Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-07-08.
- Staff (2018-07-08). "UFC 226 salaries: Seven – including Cormier, Miocic, Lewis and Pettis – get six figures". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-07-08.