This biography of a living person includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Michael "Mike" Tan Defensor (born June 30, 1969) is a Filipino politician.
Mike Defensor at a 2007 political rally in Cebu City
|Malacañang Chief of Staff|
2006 – February 10, 2007
|Succeeded by||Joey Salceda|
|Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources|
|Preceded by||Elisa Gozun|
|Succeeded by||Angelo Reyes|
|Chairman of the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council|
|Preceded by||Karina Constantino David|
|Succeeded by||Noli de Castro|
|General Manager of the National Housing Authority|
|Member of the Philippines House of Representatives from Quezon City's 3rd District|
June 30, 1995 – January 20, 2001
|Preceded by||Dennis Roldan|
|Succeeded by||Maria Theresa Defensor|
|Councilor of Quezon City|
June 30, 1992 – June 30, 1995
|Born||June 30, 1969|
|Political party||People's Reform Party (2009-)|
Liberal Party (1995-2007)
Laban ng Demokratikong Pilipino (1992-1995)
|Spouse(s)||Julie Rose Tactacan-Defensor|
He finished elementary, Bachelor of Arts in History, and Masters in Public Administration at the University of the Philippines where he became a member of the UP Alpha Sigma Fraternity. He finished his secondary education at Niles McKinley High School, Ohio, USA. he is married to Julie Rose Tactacan Defensor.
Quezon City councilorEdit
Defensor was elected as a Quezon City councilor in the 1992 elections at the age of 23, making him the youngest member of that body.
After Edsa II,Defensor was appointed as Secretary of the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council by President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. He held that post until August 2004 when he was appointed Secretary of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources.
In the 2004 presidential election, he served as the official campaign spokesperson of President Arroyo. After his tenure as DENR Secretary he was appointed Presidential Chief of Staff. He resigned that post on February 10, 2007 to campaign for a post in the senate.
In June 2008 he was appointed head of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport International Passenger Terminal 3 (NAIA-3) by virtue of the June 9, Executive Order No. 732 (creating the Presidential Task Force on the NAIA-3 that was "mandated to ensure the immediate opening and operation of Terminal III.") The order provides for the NAIA-3 opening based on decisions of the Supreme Court and applicable laws.
Defensor was among the first to file for candidacy for the senate on February 12, 2007. He employed popular gossip show host Boy Abunda as his campaign manager.
Mike Defensor, on July 4, 2008 filed 6-page perjury lawsuit Friday versus Rodolfo Noel Lozada for "testifying under oath that he had paid Lozada P 50,000 to change his statement that he was not kidnapped at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) when he arrived from Hong Kong at the height of the Philippine National Broadband Network controversy (ZTE Zhong Xing Telecommunication Equipment Company Limited scandal)."
- RA 8313, An Act upgrading the Quirino Memorial Medical Center
- RA 8976, An Act Requiring the Fortification of Processed Foods with Essential Micronutrients
- An Act Creating the Department of Housing and Urban Development (co-author)
- Dangerous Drugs Act of 1998 (co-author)
- Act Amending the Magna Carta of the Disabled Persons (co-author)
- Act Mandating the Nationwide Rabies Vaccination Program (co-author)
Other positions heldEdit
- Chairperson, Kabataang Liberal ng Pilipinas
- Chairperson, National Movement of Young Legislators
- Chairperson, National Union of Students in the Philippines
- Lord Chancellor, Alpha Sigma Fraternity
- Program Director, Youth Council of the Philippines
Director, Petron CorporationEdit
On December 4, 2007, Mike Defensor quietly joined / was nominated to the board of directors of Petron Corporation (with former budget secretary Emilia Boncodin). Defensor had been frequenting Macau. Boncodin stated that Mike was invited to the board by Nicasio Alcantara, government’s team head / Chair, Petron. Membership in the Petron board is a lucrative job, as Defensor was offered a board seat in sequestered United Coconut Planters Bank. Defeated administration candidate, former senator Ralph Recto joined the board of Union Bank, controlled by the Aboitiz family.
- Abs-Cbn Interactive, Arroyo appoints Mike Defensor as NAIA-3 task force head[permanent dead link]
- pia.gov.ph PGMA names Defensor, Quevedo and two others to important posts
- sunstar.com, Defensor is new PNR chief Archived 2008-10-14 at the Wayback Machine
- abs-cbnnews.com, Defensor files perjury raps vs Lozada[permanent dead link]
- "AbsCbn, Defensor joins Petron board". Archived from the original on 2007-07-09. Retrieved 2007-12-04.