Eugenio Romerica Abunda, Jr.
October 29, 1958
Borongan, Samar, Philippines
|Occupation||Television presenter, publicist, talent manager, newscaster|
|Partner(s)||Bong Quintana (1983–present)|
Early life and educationEdit
Boy Abunda was born in Borongan. He attended Ateneo de Manila University, where he took up Business Management. However, he did not finish that course because of his father's death. He left Ateneo and worked in odd jobs to support himself.
At the Metropolitan Theater, he worked as a stage actor and eventually as an assistant stage manager. Later, he became the assistant of the theater's administrator Conchita "Tita Conching" Sunico, who taught him public relations. Within a couple of years, he started Backroom, Inc managing singers and actresses and a public relations firm. He also worked as public relations consultant for GMA Network. It was during Abunda's public relations work in GMA7 when one of its executives named Bobby Barreiro, suggested that he should try hosting a television show.
Abunda became a host of Show and Tell, a late night variety talk show with Gretchen Barretto, and Startalk, an entertainment talk show. He subsequently moved to GMA Network's competitor ABS-CBN in 1999, where he has hosted the following shows: The Buzz, Private Conversations, Homeboy, Kontrobersyal, SNN: Showbiz News Ngayon and The Bottomline with Boy Abunda, a talk show interview. He is also a newscaster for entertainment of the late-night news program Bandila. He also worked as a radio commentator for DZAR, during the Angel Radyo era.
He also produced an album titled Melodic Conversations.
He graduated from Philippine Women's University with degrees Bachelor of Arts in Communication Arts in 2009, Master of Arts in Communication Arts in 2011, and Doctor of Philosophy in Social Development in 2016.
Abunda is openly gay and has been in a relationship with partner Elmer "Bong" Quintana since 1983. Although Abunda is a practicing Catholic and Marian devotee, he is a supporter of LGBT rights and same-sex marriage, expressing disagreement with the Church's stand on homosexuality. He denounced the 2016 Orlando Nightclub Shooting, which has been recorded as the deadliest incident of violence against LGBT people in the United States.
On June 23, 2010, Abunda became a part-time professor at Philippine Women's University, teaching radio and television to Communication Arts students. He currently resides in Quezon City.
In August 2014, Abunda was not seen on TV for weeks. On September 7, 2014, he revealed in an exclusive interview with The Buzz that he had suffered from a medical condition in which 300 milliliters of abscess was removed from his liver. He was discharged from the hospital on August 23.
|2017||I Can Do That||Himself|
|2016||Born for You||Himself|
|2015–present||Tonight with Boy Abunda||Host|
|2015||Your Face Sounds Familiar||Guest Jury|
|2014–2015||Aquino & Abunda Tonight||Host|
|2009–2020||The Bottomline with Boy Abunda||Host|
|2009||Ang Kwento naming Dalawa (Judy Ann-Ryan Love Story)||Host / Narrator|
|2009–2011||SNN: Showbiz News Ngayon||Anchor|
|2008–present||Inside the Cinema||Host||Cinema One|
|2007–2009||Boy & Kris||Host / Himself|
|2005–2007||Homeboy||Host / Himself|
|2005–2019||Pinoy Big Brother||Talk Show Host / Himself|
|2004–2005||Morning Star||Host / Himself|
|2004–2005||Star Circle Quest||Judge|
|2003–2006||Kontrobersyal||Host / Himself|
|2001–present||Private Conversations||Host / Himself||ANC|
|1999–2015||The Buzz (formerly known as Buzz ng Bayan from 2013-2014)||Host / Himself||ABS-CBN|
|1995–1999||Startalk||Host / Himself||GMA Network|
|1994–1995||Show & Tell||Host / Himself|
|2018||The Girl in the Orange Dress||Star Cinema, Quantum Films, MJM Productions|
|2012||Boy Pick-Up: The Movie||Himself/Cameo||Regal Entertainment & GMA Films|
|2008||Scaregiver||Himself||OctoArts Films, M-Zet Productions & APT Entertainment|
- 2014: Make Your Nanay Proud (ABS CBN Publishing, Inc.)
- 2017: It's Like This (ABS CBN Publishing, Inc.)
- 2018: Nanay's Gay Boy: Two Speeches (ABS CBN Publishing, Inc.)
This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Celebrity Inductee Winner, Eastwood City Walk Of Fame Philippines in 2010
- 3rd EdukCircle Awards - Most Influential Celebrity Endorser of Year (2013)
- Winner, Best Showbiz Oriented Show Host - PMPC Star Awards for TV
- Startalk (1995–1999)
- The Buzz (1999–2008 and 2010) (tied with Paolo Bediones in 2005)
- SNN: Showbiz News Ngayon (2009)
- Hall of Fame (2011)
- Winner, Best Public Affairs Program Host - PMPC Star Awards for TV
- Private Conversations (2004)
- The Bottomline With Boy Abunda (2010-2011, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- Winner, Best Magazine Show Host - PMPC Star Awards for TV
- Kontrobersyal (2004)
- Winner, Best Celebrity Talk Show Host - PMPC Star Awards for TV
- Homeboy (2005–2007)
- Boy and Kris (2008)
- Winner, Best Talk Show Host - UPLB Gandingan Awards
- Homeboy (2006)
- Boy and Kris (2007–2008)
|Year||Award Giving Body||Category||Nominated Work||Results|
|2000||PMPC Star Awards for Television||Best Male Showbiz-Oriented Show Host||The Buzz||Won|
- Bonifacio, Tinna S. (August 2005). "Stardom is hard work: Boy Abunda success is "seizing the moment, not winning it"". JobsDB: Interactive Recruitment Network. Archived from the original on January 20, 2007. Retrieved 23 March 2010.
- "Boy Abunda biography". Wow! Celebrities. Archived from the original on August 8, 2018. Retrieved 23 March 2010.
- "Mirror, mirror . . ". INQ7.net. 13 December 2006.
- "Getting to The Bottomline". The Philippine Star. February 27, 2010.
- Procrastination awards Archived March 30, 2008, at the Wayback Machine, Manila Times
- Boy Abunda obtained his first college degree. Archived April 21, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- Boy Abunda obtained his second College degree. Archived March 13, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- Boy Abunda graduates with a doctoral degree from PWU. Push.abs-cbn.com. July 2, 2016. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- The Ballad of Boy and Bong Archived June 16, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- "Boy Abunda on being gay: How can love be a sin?", ABS-CBN Corporation, 7 October 2014, retrieved 7 December 2016
- "The Marian devotee in me", Philstar.com, 7 October 2014, retrieved 7 December 2016
- Serato, Arniel (July 5, 2016), "What Boy Abunda's partner Bong Quintana said when Boy asked him if they want to get married", Philippine Entertainment Portal, retrieved December 8, 2016
- Gabieta, Joy (May 17, 2019). "Boy Abunda sis is new Eastern Samar rep". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved April 30, 2020.
- BOY ABUNDA SUFFERED FROM LIVER PROBLEM, NOW RECOVERING
- "Meet the judges of 'Your Moment,' ABS-CBN's 2-in-1 talent competition". news.abs-cbn.com. ABS-CBN News. October 22, 2019. Retrieved October 25, 2019.
- "Happy, triumphant faces at the 14th PMPC Star Awards for TV". The Philippine Star. October 9, 2000. Retrieved July 19, 2016.