Within the song's lyrics, Method Man references many notable quotes from popular culture.
- The refrain of the song (M-E-T-H-O-D) draws from the 1985 Hall & Oates hit "Method of Modern Love" from Big Bam Boom.
- Pattycake – (Pattycake, pattycake, hey, the Method Man).
- Jif peanut butter, Skippy peanut butter, Peter Pan peanut butter – (Don't eat Skippy, Jif or Peter Pan, Peanut butter cuz I'm not butter).
- Green Eggs and Ham – (I be Sam, Sam-I-Am, and I don't eat green eggs and ham).
- Skunk, a strain of cannabis (I got fat bags of skunk).
- White Owl blunts. (I got white owl blunts).
- Method Man uses the term "Super Sperm", referencing the songs "Rapper's Delight" by The Sugarhill Gang and "Super Sporm", by Captain Sky.
- Tootsie Pops – (Now how many licks does it take, for me to hit the tootsie roll center of a break?)
- Get off of My Cloud – ("Hey, you, get off my cloud/You don't know me and you don't know my style") – a reference to the Rolling Stones song.
- "Hey, hey, hey, like Fat Albert; It's the Method Man, and there's no if, ands about it..."
- Tweety Bird: "Hold up, what; I tawt I taw a putty tat over there..."
- '"I am the one and only Method Man; rapper with the plan, wrapping shit like Saran..."
- "Chiminy chim chiminy" echoes the chimney sweep song from Mary Poppins.
- David Alan Grier's character Calhoun Tubbs from the TV series In Living Color: "Wrote a song about it; like to hear it? Here it go." This phrase was previously used in En Vogue's "Free Your Mind".
"Torture" The introduction to the song includes a dialogue between Method Man and Raekwon detailing various methods of torture.
- Pre-song dialogue: Raekwon and Method Man
- Intro: GZA
- Verse one: Method Man
- Chorus: Method Man
- Verse two: Method Man
- Outro: RZA and Ghostface Killah