Executive producer (EP) is a position in the making of a commercial entertainment product. Depending on the medium, the executive producer may be concerned with management accounting or with associated legal issues (like copyrights or royalties). In films, the executive producer generally contributes to the film's budget and usually does not work on set, in contrast to most other producers.
In films, an executive producer finances the film or participates in the creative effort, but does not work on the set. His/her responsibilities vary from funding or attracting investors into the movie project to legal, scripting, marketing, advisory and supervising capacities.
The crediting of executive producers in the film industry has risen over time. In the mid-to-late 1990s, there were an average of just under two executive producers per film. In 2000, the number jumped to 2.5 (more than the number of standard 'producers'). In 2013, there were an average of 4.4 executive producers per film, compared with 3.2 producers.
In television, an executive producer usually supervises the creative content and the financial aspects of a production. Some writers (for example Stephen J. Cannell, Tina Fey and Ryan Murphy) have worked as both the creator and the producer of the same TV show. In case of multiple executive producers on a TV show, the one outranking the others is called the showrunner, or the leading executive producer.
In recorded music, record labels distinguish between an executive producer and a record producer. The executive producer is responsible for business decisions and more recently, organizing the recordings along with the music producer, whereas the record producer produces the music. Sometimes the executive producer organises the recording and selects sound engineers, session musicians, et al.
For example in 2012, Jay-Z was announced as executive producer for NBA 2K13. His role consisted of appearing in an introduction, picking songs for the game's soundtrack and contributing to the design of its in-game menus "and other visual elements".
- "Typically an executive producer may handle business and legal issues". Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- "What is an Executive Producer?". WiseGEEK. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "Executive Producer (aka Executive in Charge of Production)". Retrieved January 12, 2017.
- "How many movie producers does a film need?". Retrieved 2016-05-04.
- "In television, an Executive Producer may also be the Creator/Writer of a series". Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- "There can be multiple executive producers on a series, but the one in charge is called the showrunner". Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- "The executive producer usually chooses the musicians and technicians for a record, decides where and when to record, and the production budget and timetable". Archived from the original on 10 April 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2013.
- "Argent said Jay-Z's influence would be felt immediately in the game, starting during its video introduction. Jay-Z also handpicked the game's soundtrack". CNN. 1 August 2012. Retrieved August 1, 2012.
- "Jay-Z NBA 2K13: Rapper Announced As 'Executive Producer'". Retrieved August 2, 2012.