Majboor (1974 film)
Majboor (Hindi: मजबूर, English: Compelled) is a 1974 Indian Bollywood crime thriller film, directed by Ravi Tandon and written by Salim-Javed. The film stars Amitabh Bachchan, Parveen Babi, Pran, Madan Puri, Rehman and Farida Jalal. The music is by Laxmikant Pyarelal and lyrics were by Anand Bakshi.
|Directed by||Ravi Tandon|
|Distributed by||Suchitha Films Pvt. Ltd.
|December 6, 1974|
The film was later remade in Telugu by director K. Raghavendra Rao as Raja (1976), starring Shobhan Babu and Jayasudha. It was also remade in Tamil as Naan Vazhavaippen (1979), with Sivaji Ganeshan and K. R. Vijaya, and in Gujarati as Naseeb No Khel (1982) and also in Malayalam as Ee Kaikalil (1986).
Ravi Khanna (Amitabh Bachchan) lives happily with his widowed mother, wheelchair-bound sister (Farida Jalal) and younger brother. He suffers from a terminal brain tumor, and has only 6 months to live. In an effort to provide for his family, he takes the responsibility of a murder that he has not committed to collect the ransom money of Rs. 5,00,000. He leaves a trail for the police to follow and he is convicted. While in prison, he gets an attack and the jail authorities take him to the hospital where he undergoes a successful operation. Now, he is a confessed criminal for abduction, ransom and murder, which he planted on himself.
In order to save himself from the death penalty, he runs away from the hospital in search of the real murderer. He gets help from a thief named Michael D'Souza (Pran). After many twists and turns, the plot unfolds, where the true identity of the criminal is revealed. Ravi Khanna then becomes a free man.
- Amitabh Bachchan as Ravi Khanna
- Parveen Babi as Neelu
- Pran as Michael D'Souza
- Farida Jalal as Renu Khanna
- Sulochana Latkar as Mrs. Khanna
- Alankar Joshi as Billoo Khanna
- Satyen Kappu as Narendra Sinha
- Iftekhar as Police Inspector Khurana
- Mac Mohan as Prakash
- Rehman as Surendra Sinha
- Madan Puri as Mahipat Rai
- K. N. Singh as Prosecuting Attorney
- Sudhir as Ravi's so-worker
- Jagdish Raj as Police Inspector Kulkarni
- Sajjan as Doctor Shah
- Ashoo as Mona Sinha
|1||"Aadmi Jo Kehta Hai"||Kishore Kumar|
|2||"Dekh Sakta Hoon" (Male Version)||Kishore Kumar|
|3||"Roothe Rab Ko"||Mohammed Rafi & Asha Bhosle|
|4||"Daru Ki Botol Mein"||Kishore Kumar|
|5||"Dekh Sakta Hoon" (Female Version)||Lata Mangeshkar|
Awards and nominationsEdit
Majboor is featured in Avijit Ghosh's book, 40 Retakes: Bollywood Classics You May Have Missed
- Lal, Vinay; Nandy, Ashis (2006). Fingerprinting Popular Culture: The Mythic and the Iconic in Indian Cinema. Oxford University Press. p. 77. ISBN 0195679180.
- Ramachandran, Naman, Rajnikanth: The Definitive Biography. India: Penguin Books (2012).
- Box Office India Archived 22 September 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- http://filmfareawards.indiatimes.com/articleshow/articleshow/366907.cms[permanent dead link]