Mahaprabhu is a 1996 Tamil action masala film directed by A. Venkatesh, making his directorial debut. The film features R. Sarathkumar, Sukanya and Vineetha in lead roles. The film, produced by Janaki Devi, had musical score by Deva and was released on 26 January 1996.
|Directed by||A. Venkatesh|
|Produced by||Janaki Devi,|
|Written by||A. Venkatesh|
Pattukkottai Prabakar (dialogues)
|Edited by||B. Lenin|
V. T. Vijayan
Sri Sai Theja Films
Dhamodaran (R. Sarathkumar) sells black cinema tickets alongside his friends Sedhu (Goundamani) and Vicky (Senthil). Dhamodaran is known to be an angry man thus he promises to his mother Vellaiyamma (Manorama) to avoid violence. Jothi (Vineetha), Dhamodaran's cousin, is deeply in love with Dhamodaran.
Shanmugavel (Rajan P. Dev), a corrupt politician, is an influential man and even the police cannot arrest him for his crimes. His son Bhaskar (Vishal) spreads terror among the college students. Eswarapandiyan (Sarath Babu), an honest police officer, is determined to arrest Shanmugavel. Later, Uma (Vaishnavi), Eswarapandiyan 's wife, is killed by Shanmugavel and Eswarapandian is left for dead.
Thereafter, Mahalakshmi (Sukanya) moves into the house opposite to Dhamodaran's house. Mahalakshmi is an orphan and becomes a college lecturer. Dhamodaran falls in love with her but Mahalakshmi advises him to first become a decent man. Dhamodaran then becomes a mechanic and he also changes his behaviour. In the meantime, Bhaskar loses the college's chairman election mainly due to Mahalakshmi, who supported the other contestant. After seeing Mahalakshmi and Dhamodaran's love, Jothi sacrifices her love and she decides to get married to another man.
Soon, Dhamodaran clashes with Bhaskar's henchmen to save his lover Mahalakshmi. When Bhaskar tries to undress Mahalakshmi, Vellaiyamma interferes and she is pushed into a sewer. Mahalakshmi then sets herself on fire. Dhamodaran comes too late and discovers their dead bodies. He then turns berserk and kills Bhaskar. Dhamodaran is later arrested by the police and Shanmugavel challenges Dhamodaran to kill him.
Eswarapandiyan then saves Dhamodaran from the police. What transpires later forms the crux of the story.
- R. Sarathkumar as Dhamodaran aka Dhamu
- Sukanya as Mahalakshmi
- Vineetha as Jothi
- Manorama as Vellaiyamma, Dhamodaran's mother
- Sarath Babu as Eswarapandiyan (Police Inspector)
- Goundamani as Sedhu
- Senthil as Vicky
- Rajan P. Dev as Shanmugavel
- Vaishnavi as Uma, Eswarapandiyan's wife
- Vishal as Bhaskar
- Ennatha Kannaiya as Mahalakshmi Father
- Ajay Rathnam as Mahalakshmi Brother
- K. K. Soundar as Jothi's father
- Kumarimuthu as Gnana Kannan
- Judge Rajagopal
- Kovai Senthil
- Master Mahendran
- Nellai Siva
- Vikram Krishna
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1||'Baava Vaa'||S. N. Surendar, S. Janaki||4:39|
|2||'Jackie Chan'||Mano, K. S. Chithra||6:02|
|3||'Kadalai Enna'||Gangai Amaran, S. Janaki||4:43|
|4||'Myna, Myna'||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||4:55|
|5||'Missy Missy Dol'||Mano, Swarnalatha||4:20|
|6||'Sollavaa'||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, Sunandha||4:03|
- "Filmography of maha prabhu". cinesouth.com. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Mahaa Prabhu (1996) Tamil Movie". en.600024.com. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Maha Prabhu". entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Download Mahaprabhu by Deva on Nokia Music". music.ovi.com. Retrieved 7 June 2012.
- "MusicIndiaOnline - Mahaa Prabhu". mio.to. Retrieved 7 June 2012.