Lovelyz (Hangul: 러블리즈) is a South Korean girl group formed in 2014 by Woollim Entertainment and is the company's first girl group. The group consists of eight members: Baby Soul, Jiae, Jisoo, Mijoo, Kei, Jin, Sujeong and Yein. Their debut album, Girls' Invasion, was released on November 17, 2014.
Lovelyz in April 2018
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
2014: Debut with Girls' InvasionEdit
Lovelyz's debut was first announced on November 5, 2014 by Woolim Entertainment. Lovelyz released a pre-release digital single, "Good Night Like Yesterday", on November 5, 2014. Their debut showcase was held on November 12 at the K-ART Hall in Olympic Park, and their debut stage was on the next day on Mnet M Countdown. The group's debut studio album Girls' Invasion was officially released on November 17, along with its lead single titled "Candy Jelly Love". The album ranked ninth on Taiwan's Five Music Korea-Japan weekly chart and first on Japan's Tower Records albums chart. Prior to debut, member Jisoo withdrew from the group's debut promotions due to personal reasons.
On December 21, the group took part in the annual music festival SBS Gayo Daejeon for the festival's segment Strong Babies, featuring newly debuted K-pop groups Red Velvet, Winner, and Got7, where they performed Maroon 5's "Moves like Jagger". Lovelyz also performed their debut lead single "Candy Jelly Love".
2015: Hi~, Lovelyz8 and LovelinusEdit
Lovelyz released a repackage edition of Girls' Invasion titled Hi~ on March 3. It contains all nine tracks from the debut album, along with two new singles including a title track. They made a comeback stage on March 5, performing "Hi~" and "Amusement Park" on music program M Countdown. On April 17, Lovelyz started promoting the other new song from their repackaged album, "Amusement Park", on music programs. They continued the promotions until April 30. On April 22, Lovelyz participated in the KCON 2015 Japan M Countdown show for 15,000 attendees, their first overseas activity. On May 23, the group performed at the Dream Concert, which was held at the Seoul World Cup Stadium.
On August 27, Lovelyz performed at the Korea Brand and Entertainment Expo in Shanghai, along with labelmate Infinite. On the same day, Woollim Entertainment announced that Jisoo would be rejoining the group, and revealed the title of their first extended play (EP), Lovelyz8, through the group's official Twitter page. A pre-release single titled "Shooting Star" was released on September 14, along with its music video. The EP was officially released on October 1, 2015. It contains seven tracks including the pre-release single "Shooting Star", and a lead single titled "Ah-Choo". The lead single's music video was released on the same day, with cameo appearance by Infinite's Hoya.
On October 31, Lovelyz was a guest on You Hee-yeol's Sketchbook where they performed an a cappella cover of Michael Jackson's song "Beat It". The performance gained attention online, and was broadcast on the American Fox News Channel. It was also written about by other foreign media. "Ah-Choo" had maintained its position on most major Korean music charts throughout 2015 and early-2016, making it Lovelyz's biggest hit. On November 26, Lovelyz received their first-ever award at the 23rd Korea Culture & Entertainment Awards for the "K-pop Top 10 Artists" category.
Lovelyz held their first fan-meeting and mini-concert, Lovely Day, on December 5 at Ax Korea. The tickets were sold out in the first five minutes after they went on sale. On December 7, Lovelyz released a three-track single album titled Lovelinus, named after their official fan club. They also released a music video for the album's lead single, "For You", on the same day.
2016–2017: A New Trilogy, First Concert, R U Ready? and Fall in LovelyzEdit
The group's first reality show Lovelyz in Wonderland began airing February 2 on SBS MTV for eight episodes. Their song "Ah-Choo" continued to remain in digital Korean music charts, long after its release on September 14, 2015.
Lovelyz released their second EP, A New Trilogy on April 25, 2016. The album contains seven tracks, including the lead single titled "Destiny". The song debuted at number seven on the Gaon Digital Chart, making it their highest charting song thus far. "Destiny" also received attention from American producer Brent Fischer who praised the lead single for its "world-class grooves and current arrangements".
In November 2016, Lovelyz announced their first solo concert titled Lovelyz in Winterland at the Blue Square Samsung Card Hall from January 13–15, 2017. During the concert, Lovelyz revealed that they would make a comeback in February.
Woollim Entertainment announced that Lovelyz was set to release their second studio album R U Ready? on February 26, with "WoW!" as the lead single. However, in the early morning hours of February 27, the song was removed from Melon's real-time chart due to a technical glitch. Melon later admitted to the glitch and apologized. Woollim Entertainment revealed that Yein had injured her ankle during practice for comeback, and later confirmed that Yein would not be participating in the comeback due to her injury on March 2. Few weeks later, on March 23, Yein re-joined the promotions by performing at music program M Countdown for first time since recovering from the injury.
Following the release of their second studio album, they made a speedy comeback with their second repackaged album titled Now, We on May 2, with the lead single of the same name. The album topped the Gaon Album Chart upon its release. They also won their first-ever music program win since debut on May 16, through SBS MTV's The Show.
Lovelyz held their second solo concert, Lovelyz 2017 Summer Concert [Alwayz], at Olympic Park, Olympic Hall on July 29 and 30. The tickets for the concert were sold-out within five minutes of its release.
On November 14, 2017, Lovelyz made their comeback with their third EP, Fall in Lovelyz, with the lead single "Twinkle". The group promoted the song on various South Korean music programs, and received their first win for "Twinkle" on November 28 on The Show.
Lovelyz held their third solo concert, Lovelyz in Winterland 2, at the Blue Square Samsung Card Hall from February 2–4, 2018. The concert was also held in Tokyo and Osaka on February 10 and February 12 respectively.
On April 10, Woollim Entertainment announced that Lovelyz would release their fourth EP titled Heal on April 23. The EP consists of six tracks, including the lead single "That Day", composed by Sweetune. Lovelyz held their comeback showcase at Blue Square iMarket Hall on the same day as the album's release, and was broadcast live through the Naver app V-Live. Lovelyz earned their first music show win for "That Day" on SBS MTV's The Show on May 1.
On June 21, Woollim Entertainment announced that Lovelyz would release their special digital single titled "Wag-Zak". It was also announced that Jin will not take part in the promotions due to health issues. Lovelyz performed "Wag-Zak" for the first time at Mnet's M Countdown on June 28, followed by promoting in the various music programs for a week. Their digital single "Wag-Zak", complemented by a music video, was officially released on July 1, which marked the group's first summer release.
Lovelyz released their first compilation album Muse on Music on September 11. The album contains the instrumental version of 33 tracks selected from their eight released records. It is also the first time a K-pop girl group released such album.
In August 2016, members of Lovelyz were appointed by the Ministry of National Defense to become anti-smoking ambassadors for the South Korean military. The arrangement was part of the "Anti-Smoking Soldiers Program" which was announced on May 31.
In June 2018, Lovelyz collaborated with Italian brand Metro City for the JTBC show Idol Job Diary Good Job, and as part of the brand's "Show Me The Miracle" campaign. A one-day pop-up store was opened at Lotte World Mall on June 19, with the proceeds from the store were donated to support children of multicultural families in South Korea.
Adapted from the official website:
Lovelyz in WinterlandEdit
|January 13, 2017||Seoul||South Korea||Blue Square Samsung Card|
|January 14, 2017|
|January 15, 2017|
Lovelyz 2017 Summer Concert [Alwayz]Edit
|July 29, 2017||Seoul||South Korea||Olympic Hall|
|July 30, 2017|
|August 5, 2017||Tokyo||Japan||Zepp Tokyo|
|August 6, 2017|
Lovelyz in Winterland 2Edit
|February 2, 2018||Seoul||South Korea||Blue Square iMarket Hall|
|February 3, 2018|
|February 4, 2018|
|February 10, 2018||Tokyo||Japan||Toyosu PIT|
|February 12, 2018||Osaka||Zepp Osaka Bayside|
- Lovelyz 1st Showcase in Taiwan
|2016||SBS MTV||Lovelyz in Wonderland (이상한나라의 러블리즈)||Lovelyz's first variety show|
|2017||skyTravel||Lovelyz Loves Canada||Web reality show|
|Naver V Live||Lovelyz in Parallel Universe||Lovelyz Diary series|
|Lovelyz's 'Tell Me Your Wish'|
|2018||Channel A||The Man Who Feeds The Dog 2|
Awards and nominationsEdit
- "Lovelyz Profile". Naver. Retrieved 31 July 2015.
- Yang, Jinyeong (2014-11-03). "울림 첫 걸그룹 ′러블리즈′ 데뷔 임박, 10일 음원 선공개로 ′출사표′".
- Hong, Grace Danbi (November 10, 2014). "Lovelyz Wishes You a 'Good Night Like Yesterday' in Debut MV". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- "Lovelyz drops debut album amid controversy".
- "Newly Debuted Girl Group Lovelyz Crack The Top 10 On Taiwan's Five Music Chart". KpopStarz. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- "Seo Jisoo Reportedly Will Not Attend Lovelyz Debut Promotions Due To Shock". KpopStarz.
- "2014 SBS Awards Festival: Gayo Daejeon Winners + Performances". Koreaboo.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (March 3, 2015). "Lovelyz Greets with ′Hi~′ in New MV". enewsWorld. Mnet. Retrieved March 3, 2015.
- 6, R. Ramirez March; 2015 (6 March 2015). "VIXX wins on Music Bank with "Love Equation," Comeback Stages by Super Junior-D&E, FIESTAR, Lovelyz and More".
- "'엠카운트다운' 러블리즈, 너희라면 '놀이공원' 놀러갈래". TV Report. Retrieved 31 July 2015.
- Kim, Min-hwa. "치타부터 갓세븐까지..'KCON', 日 뜨겁게 달궜다(종합)". Star News Korea. Retrieved 31 July 2015.
- "러블리즈, '소녀감성 터지는, 풍선 들고 입장.. 이러니 삼촌팬들이 반하지~' (2015 드림콘서트)". AJU News. Retrieved 31 July 2015.
- "INFINITE Appointed Honorary Ambassadors For The Korea Brand & Entertainment Expo In China". Yonhap News Agency. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- "Official Twitter Page". Twitter. Retrieved 27 August 2015.
- "Lovelyz Play Hide And Seek In 'Ah-Choo' Music Video And Release Mini-Album 'Lovelyz8'". KpopStarz. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- 韓国のアイドルグループが美麗なアカペラで『Beat It』を披露. livedoor News (in Japanese). November 11, 2015. Archived from the original on November 17, 2015. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- "K-Pop Girl Group Lovelyz Perform Michael Jackson's 'Beat It' in 8-Part A Cappella: Watch". Billboard. November 16, 2015. Retrieved November 17, 2015.
- "Alucina con la versión de 'Beat it' de este grupo femenino de K-Pop". La Vanguardia. November 17, 2015. Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- "러블리즈의 '아츄', 스테디셀러가 된 4가지 이유 Lovelyz "Ah-Choo," 4 Reasons it is a Steady Seller". Ohmynews. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "제23회 대한민국 문화연예대상… 오는 26일 63빌딩서 개최". Enews Today (in Korean). November 24, 2015. Retrieved September 11, 2018.
- "러블리즈(Lovelyz), 팬미팅&미니콘서트 예매 5분만에 매진". TopStarNews. Retrieved 14 November 2015.
- "Lovelyz Tease For Yet Another Album Entitled 'Lovelinus'". Officially Kmusic. Retrieved 3 December 2015.
- "Lovelyz To Have Their First Ever Reality TV Program 'Lovelyz In Wonderland'". KpopStarz. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Lovelyz "Ah-Choo" A Steady Seller". Naver. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- 4, an0ya April; 2016 (4 April 2016). "Update: Lovelyz Drops Album Preview Video for "A New Trilogy"".
- "국내 대표 음악 차트 가온차트!". gaonchart.co.kr. Archived from the original on 2017-03-09. Retrieved 2016-05-06.
- "[단독]故마이클잭슨 프로듀서 "러블리즈 美진출 돕겠다" 지원 약속". Star News (in Korean). April 27, 2016. Retrieved May 21, 2018.
- "Lovelyz to Hold First Solo Concert with Live Band". MWave. January 5, 2017.
- "러블리즈, 오는 27일 컴백 공식화...상큼발랄 컴백 스포일러 티저 공개". Herald. Retrieved February 8, 2017.
- "Idol group Lovelyz hopes new album will be 'steady seller'". Yonhap News. February 27, 2017. Retrieved August 2, 2018.
- "러블리즈, 발목부상 예인없이 7인조 활동…오늘(2일) 첫 컴백무대". X Sports News (in Korean). Naver. March 2, 2017.
- "울림 "러블리즈 예인 부상 회복, 23일 '엠카' 완전체 무대"". JTBC Joins. Naver. March 23, 2017.
- "Album Chart – Week 18 of 2017" (in Korean). Gaon Music Chart. Archived from the original on May 18, 2017.
- "'더쇼' 러블리즈, 짝사랑 끝났다…데뷔 첫 1위 '눈물' [종합]". Sports Chosun (in Korean). Naver. Retrieved May 15, 2017.
- Lee, Ye-eun (June 2, 2017). "Lovelyz to hold second solo concert 'Alwayz'". The Korea Herald. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- "러블리즈 단독 콘서트, 예매 5분만에 전석 매진 '대세 걸그룹'". OSEN (in Korean). June 21, 2017. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- Hong, Dam-young (November 14, 2017). "Infused with new blood, Lovelyz offers early Christmas vibe with new EP". The Korea Herald. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- "'더쇼' 러블리즈, '종소리'로 첫 1위 등극 '눈물' [종합]". OSEN (in Korean). Nate. Retrieved November 28, 2017.
- "러블리즈(Lovelyz), '겨울나라의 러블리즈2' 관전포인트 셋". Wow TV (in Korean). February 2, 2018. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- "러블리즈, '겨울나라의 러블리즈2'로 특급 팬서비스 예고". Munhwa News (in Korean). February 2, 2018. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- "러블리즈,일본 단독 콘서트 '겨울나라의 러블리즈2' 개최". Global Economy Times (in Korean). February 8, 2018. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- "러블리즈(Lovelyz), 일본 두 번째 단독 콘서트 '겨울나라의 러블리즈2' 개최 '9일 출국'". News Inside (in Korean). February 8, 2018. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- "러블리즈, 23일 미니 4집 '치유'로 컴백". Yonhap News (in Korean). Naver. April 10, 2018.
- ""'아츄' 아성 잇는다"…러블리즈, 스윗튠 손잡은 타이틀곡 '그날의 너'". OSEN (in Korean). Naver. April 19, 2018.
- "'V앱' 러블리즈 네 번째 미니앨범 '치유' 컴백 쇼케이스". Herald Pop (in Korean). April 23, 2018.
- "'더쇼' 러블리즈, '그날의 너'로 컴백하며 초이스(1위) 차지". Hankyung (in Korean). Naver. May 1, 2018.
- "[공식입장] 러블리즈 JIN, 일시 활동중단 "건강문제...당분간 7인체제" (전문)". MYDAILY (in Korean). Naver. June 21, 2018.
- "'엠카' 러블리즈 '여름 한 조각' 최초공개..청량감 폭발". Star News (in Korean). June 28, 2018. Retrieved July 2, 2018.
- "[SS뮤직]'여름 한 조각' 러블리즈, '선무대 후음원' 이색 컴백 행보로 시선집중". Sports Seoul (in Korean). July 2, 2018. Retrieved July 2, 2018.
- "Lovelyz marks 1st Korean girl band to showcase instrumental album". Kpop Herald. September 6, 2018. Retrieved September 11, 2018.
- "[투데이 연예톡톡] 러블리즈, 걸그룹 최초 '연주 음반' 발매". MBC News (in Korean). September 11, 2018. Retrieved September 11, 2018.
- ""군인오빠들 담배 끊으세요"…걸그룹 러블리즈, 軍 금연홍보". Yonhap News (in Korean). August 1, 2016. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- "국방부, 금연 홍보대사 걸그룹 '러블리즈' 위촉". KBS News (in Korean). August 1, 2016. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- "S Korea military gives K-pop band anti-smoking mission". BBC News. August 3, 2016. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- "메트로시티 "걸그룹 러블리즈와 팝업스토어 오픈"". Ilgan Sports (in Korean). June 15, 2018. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- "메트로시티, 팝업스토어 운영.. 걸그룹 러블리즈가 제작한 티셔츠 공개". X Sports News (in Korean). June 15, 2018. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- "러블리즈가 디자인한 메트로시티 티셔츠, 팝업스토어에서 만난다". Joongdo (in Korean). June 15, 2018. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- "Lovelyz Profile". Woollim Entertainment.
- "[스타캐스트] 러블리즈 첫 대만 쇼케이스! 그 떨리고 감동적인 현장 속.으.로!!". Naver Starcast. December 28, 2017. Retrieved September 22, 2018.