List of towns and cities in Scotland by population
This is a list of towns and cities in Scotland with a population of more than 15,000, ordered by population.
This article is divided into two sections. The first section of this article ("Localities") contains a list of basic populated areas ordered by population. The second section of this article ("Settlements") is a list of populated urban areas, some of which are composed of more than one locality, and which may span across the boundaries of more than one council area.
- As of mid-2016
- The definition as per National Records of Scotland does not always correspond to other definitions. For example, the adjoining East Renfrewshire suburban neighbourhoods of Busby, Stamperland, the remaining part of Clarkston, and Netherlee (combined population 21,350) are all counted separately, as are Giffnock and Thornliebank. Particularly notable here is Stamperland, almost universally considered part of Clarkston. 
In Scotland, settlement refers to a "collection of contiguous high density postcodes bounded by low density postcodes whose population was 500 or more". For example the area of Ayr includes the adjoining localities of Ayr and Prestwick.[a] However, most settlements coincide to a single locality. The 44 settlements with a population over 15,000 are listed below.
- As of mid-2016
- The definition as per National Records of Scotland does not always correspond to other definitions. For example, the Greater Glasgow settlement under NRS stretches as far as Bowling, Kilbarchan and Newton Mearns due the continuous chain of populated postcodes, but does not encompass places as close as Bargeddie, Barrhead, Chryston, Erskine, Kirkintilloch or Uddingston due to small gaps in this chain. Similarly, Cleland, Gowkthrapple and Overtown are not included in the wider NRS 'Motherwell and Wishaw' settlement, while distinct towns such as Bellshill and Viewpark are included.
- "Mid-2016 Population Estimates for Settlements and Localities in Scotland". National Records of Scotland. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- "NRS – Background Information Settlements and Localities" (PDF). National Records of Scotland. Retrieved 17 February 2018.
- "Department of Constitutional Affairs". Retrieved 9 September 2009.
- "Perth wins Diamond Jubilee contest to be named seventh Scottish city". BBC News. 14 March 2012.