List of educational institutions in Taichung
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Taichung educational institutions are in Taichung city of Taiwan. They include bilingual kindergartens through elementary and secondary education too all forms of tertiary education. There are also international schools to serve foreigners in the city as well as a handful of language institutes for foreigners to study Mandarin and Taiwanese.
Universities offer four-year programs in a variety of subjects. Taichung possesses both public and private universities.
- National Chung Hsing University (國立中興大學) – Located in the southern part of the city, it is the most prestigious university in the city. There are more than seventeen thousand students and has seven colleges and a department of continuing education.
- National Taichung University of Science and Technology (國立台中科技大學) – formerly National Taichung Institute of Technology (國立台中技術學院) and National Taichung Nursing College (國立台中護理專科學校): The two schools merged in 2011 to form the new NTCUST. The school has 5 colleges: Business, Design, Languages and Language Applications, Information and Distribution Science, and Health. NTCUST's nursing program is well known in the region. The university is located on two campuses in the heart of the city. The primary campus is near YiZhong Street (一中街), National Taichung First Senior High School and the National Taiwan University of Physical Education and Sports. The secondary campus is located about 2 kilometers down Sanmin road near Taichung Hospital.
- National Taichung University of Education (國立臺中教育大學) – formerly National Taichung Teacher’s College (國立台中師範學院): Located in West District, it is the premier teacher training school in the city, training future teachers in all areas from early childhood to secondary education, including a research center for special education.
- National Taiwan University of Sport (國立臺灣體育運動大學) – Located near the center of the city, this is the top physical education university in Taiwan. It is also home to Taichung Baseball Field and the local soccer stadium.
- Feng Chia University (逢甲大學) – Feng Chia University is one of the most prestigious private universities in Taiwan. The main campus is located in Xitun District.
- Tunghai University (東海大學) – Tunghai University is a large sprawling university in Xitun District near Longjing Township.
- Central Taiwan University of Science and Technology (中台科技大學) – Located in the mountains of Dakeng, CTU has four colleges: Health Sciences, Nursing, Management, and Humanities and Social Sciences. It was upgraded to university status in 2005 and is best known for its nursing and health sciences programs.
- China Medical University (中國醫藥大學) – China Medical University is one of two large medical universities in the city. It also has a highly regarded full-service training hospital adjacent to the university.
- Ling Tung University (嶺東科技大學) – Located in Nantun District, the university offers highly regarded design and business programs.
- Chung Shan Medical University (中山醫學大學) – Chung Shan Medical University is another large medical university, this one on the southern part of the city.
Five-year Junior CollegesEdit
These are schools that one enters after completing junior high schools (ninth year of education) and enters it for five years, essentially serving as your three high school years along with the first two years or tertiary education. One gains entry through participation in a national exam.
Senior High SchoolsEdit
Senior High Schools are the next step for many students after completing their mandatory nine years of education. However, not all students are able to gain admittance. Entry is dependent on ones performance on a national standardized examination that is administered every year. High Schools are college preparatory and graduates are expected to go on to a four-year university following graduation.
The most prestigious senior high schools in Taichung are Taichung First Senior High School and Taichung Girls' Senior High School. Taichung First Senior High School is a mostly all-boys school with a small number of female students admitted to special programs. Taichung Girl's High School (founded 1919) is the top girls' high school in Taichung.
While Hui Wen Municipal High School is a new school, the modernity of its campus as well as the modern technology available is quickly making this one of the most desirable high schools in the city after the big two.
Public high schools are generally considered more desirable due to their lower tuition and greater resources. However, there are also some excellent private high schools in Taichung City.
Some of these schools also offer Vocational Programs as well as Junior High School.
Vocational High SchoolsEdit
Taiwan also offers students the opportunity to study specific trades as opposed to going to a general high school. Some vocational programs are highly academic (i.e. language programs) while others focus on preparing students for a job after graduation.
- National Taichung Home Economics and Commercial High School (國立台中高級家事商業職業學校)
- National Taichung Agricultural Senior High School (國立台中高級農業職業學校)
- National Taichung Industrial High School (國立台中高級工業職業學校)
- Kuang-Hwa Vocational High School of Technology (光華高級工業職業學校)
Special Secondary SchoolsEdit
Taichung also offers special schools for deaf as well as those who have other learning impairments.
- National Taichung School for the Deaf (台中啟聰學校)
- National Taichung Special Education School (台中特殊教育學校)
Junior High SchoolsEdit
Junior High School covers grades seven through nine and mark the culmination of mandatory education in Taiwan. Taichung offers a full range of public and private junior high schools.
|Chu Jen Junior High School||居仁國中||West||Municipal||Chinese English||1946|
|Shang Shih Junior High School||雙十國中||North||Municipal||Chinese English||1954|
|Cheng Kong Junior High School||成功國中||Dali||Municipal||Chinese||1983|
|Kuang Rong Junior High School||光榮國中||Dali||Municipal||Chinese||1990|
|Chung Ming Senior High School (Junior High School Division)||忠明高中國中部||Municipal||Chinese|
|Chung Lun Junior High School||崇倫國中||South||Municipal||Chinese English||1961|
|Da-De Junior High School||大德國中||Beitun||Municipal||Chinese English||1963|
|Pei Hsin Junior High School||北新國中||Beitun||Municipal||Chinese English||1964|
|Tong Feng Junior High School||東峰國中||East||Municipal||Chinese English||1966|
|Li Ming Junior High School||黎明國中||Municipal||Chinese|
|Kuang Ming Junior High School||光明國中||West||Municipal||Chinese||1968|
|Siang Shang Junior High School||向上國中||West||Municipal||Chinese English||1968|
|Yu Ying Junior High School||育英國中||East||Municipal||Chinese English||1968|
|Sz Yu Junior High School||四育國中||South||Municipal||Chinese English||1969|
|Shi Yuan Senior High School (Junior High School Division)||西苑高中國中部||Municipal||Chinese|
|Wu Chuan Junior High School||五權國中||North||Municipal||Chinese||1970|
|Dong Shan Junior High School||東山國中||Municipal||English|
|Chong Teh Junior Junior High School||崇德國中||Beitun||Municipal||Chinese English||1988|
|Li Jen Junior High School||立人國中||North||Municipal||Chinese English||1992|
|Han Kou Junior High School||漢口國中||Xitun||Municipal||Chinese English||1991|
|An Her Junior High School||安和國中||Xitun||Municipal||Chinese English||1993|
|Chih Shan Junior High School||至善國中||Xitun||Municipal||Chinese English||1993|
|Chung Shan Junior High School||中山國中||Xitun||Municipal||Chinese||1983|
|Wan Ho Junior High School||萬和國中||Municipal||English|
|Dayeh Junior High School||大業國中||Municipal||English|
|San Guang Junior High School||三光國中||Beitun||Municipal||Chinese English||1995|
|Suu Chang Li Junior High School||四張犁國中||Beitun||Municipal||Chinese English||2000|
|Hui Wen Senior High School (Junior High School Division)||惠文高中國中部||Municipal||Chinese|
|I-Ning Senior High School (Junior High School Division)||宜寧高中國中部||Private||Chinese|
|Viator High School (Junior High School Division)||衛道高中國中部||Private||Chinese|
|Stella Matutina Girls High School (Junior High School Division)||曉明女中國中部||Private||Chinese|
|Tunghai University Affiliated High School (Junior High School Division)||東海大學附屬高中國中部||Private||Chinese|
|Shin Min High School (Junior High School Division)||新民高中國中部||Private||Chinese|
|Ming Dao High School (Junior High School Division)||明道中學國中部||Private||Chinese|
|Wagor Educational System (Junior High School Division)||葳格國中小||Private||Chinese|
|Ling Tung Senior High School (Junior High School Division)||嶺東高中國中部||Private||Chinese|
Elementary school encompasses grades one through six. Typically, students will attend a public school in the zone designated for where ones residence is registered, not where one actually lives.
|Guangfu Elementary School||光復國小||Chinese|
|Jinde Elementary School||進德國小||Chinese|
|Leye Elementary School||樂業國小|
|Dazhi Elementary School||大智國小||Chinese|
|Taichung Elementary School||台中國小||Chinese|
|Lising Elementary School||力行國小||English[permanent dead link]|
|Chungkung Elementary School||成功國小||Chinese|
|Kuo-kuang Elementary School||國光國小||Chinese|
|Heping Elementary School||和平國小||Chinese|
|Shuye Elementary School||樹義國小||Chinese|
|Xinyi Elementary School||信義國小||Chinese|
|Da-yuan Elementary School||大勇國小||Chinese|
|Chung Ming Elementary School||忠明國小||Chinese|
|Jhong Siao Elementary School||忠孝國小||Chinese|
|Datong Elementary School||大同國小||Chinese|
|Taichung Municipal Chung-Cheng Elementary School||中正國小||Chinese|
|Chung-shin Elementary School||忠信國小||Chinese English|
|Lai-Cuo Elementary School||賴厝國小||Chinese|
|Li Ren Elementary School||立人國小||Chinese|
|Jhonghua Elementary School||中華國小||Chinese|
|Tai-Ping Elementary School||太平國小||Chinese|
|Provincial Number Three Elementary School||省三國小||Chinese|
|Jian-Xing Elementary School||健行國小||Chinese|
|Du-Xing Elementary School||篤行國小||Chinese|
|Qiaoxiao Elementary School||僑孝國小||Chinese|
|Guang-Zheng Elementary School||光正國小||English|
|Jien-Kong Elementary School||建功國小||English|
|Suu-Chang-Li Elementary School||四張犁國小||Chinese|
|Bei Tun Elementary School||北屯國小||Chinese|
|Jyun Gong Elementary School||軍功國小||Chinese|
|Taichung Municipal Sihwei Elementary School||四維國小||Chinese|
|Dung-Guang Elementary School||東光國小||English|
|Taichung Municipal Jen Mei Elementary School||仁美國小||English|
|Chengpeng Elementary School||陳平國小||Chinese|
|Wenxin Elementary School||文心國小|
|Wun Chang Elementary School||文昌國小||English|
|Song Jhu Elementary School||松竹國小||English|
|Ren Ai Elementary School||仁愛國小||Chinese|
|Shang An Elementary School||上安國小||Chinese|
|Chongcing Elementary School||重慶國小||English|
|Taichung Municipal Sie He Elementary School||協和國小||Chinese|
|Da Ren Elementary School||大仁國小||Chinese|
|Da Peng Elementary School||大鵬國小||Chinese|
|Tai An Elementary School||泰安國小||Chinese|
|Yong An Elementary School||永安國小||Chinese|
|Situn Elementary School||西屯國小||English|
|He Cuo Elementary School||何厝國小||Chinese|
|Guo An Elementary School||國安國小||Chinese|
|Shang Shih Elementary School||上石國小||Chinese|
|Chun An Elementary School||春安國小||Chinese|
|Li Ming Elementary School||黎明國小||Chinese|
|Dong Sing Elementary School||東興國小||Chinese|
|Zheng Ping Elementary School||鎮平國小||English|
|Yong Chun Elementary School||永春國小|
|Nan Tun Elementary School||南屯國小||Chinese|
|Wen Shan Elementary School||文山國小||Chinese|
|Da-Shin Elementary School||大新國小||English|
|Taichung Municipal Hui Wen Elementary School||惠文國小||English|
|Xin Xing Elementary School||新興國小||English|
|Feng Jia Elementary School||逢甲國小||English|
|Washington Bilingual Elementary School||華盛頓雙語小學||Chinese|
|Ming-Dao Future Heir Bilingual Elementary School||明道普霖斯頓雙語小學||Chinese|
|The Affiliated Experimental Elementary School of National Taichung University||台中教育大學附設實驗國民小學||English|
|Natural Way Elementary School||道禾實驗小學||Chinese|
|Yu Jen Catholic Elementary School||育仁小學||Chinese|
|Shen Chai Elementary School||慎齋小學||Chinese|
|Wagor Educational System (Elementary School)||葳格小學||Chinese|
|The Elementary School of Tunghai University||東海大學附設小學||Chinese|
|Feng Le School||豐樂實驗學校||Chinese|
Taichung has three international schools. Two of them use English as the medium of instruction and offer an American-style curriculum, while the third is a school for Japanese children. One must possess a foreign passport to attend any of these schools.
Mandarin and Taiwanese Training CentersEdit
Taichung City/County offers three accredited Mandarin language programs.
Taichung City has dozens of kindergartens and cram schools. While many are registered with the government and can be found on the Chinese version of the Taichung Education Bureau website (see below), not all are.
Shane English School – Daya District – A private English language institution for Taiwanese citizens, taught by English speaking natives.
- "逢甲大學全球資訊網". Fcu.edu.tw. Retrieved 2014-02-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "無標題文件". Thu.edu.tw. Retrieved 2014-02-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Central Taiwan University of Science and Technology". Ctust.edu.tw. Retrieved 2012-02-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "中國醫藥大學全球資訊網 China Medical University, Taiwan". Cmu.edu.tw. Retrieved 2014-02-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "嶺東科技大學". Ltu.edu.tw. Retrieved 2014-02-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "中山醫學大學全球資訊網". Csmu.edu.tw. 2014-01-29. Retrieved 2014-02-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "僑光科技大學". Ocu.edu.tw. 2014-01-28. Retrieved 2014-02-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "台中一中首頁". Tcfsh.tc.edu.tw. Archived from the original on 2014-06-21. Retrieved 2014-02-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "台中二中全球資訊網". Tcssh.tc.edu.tw. Retrieved 2014-02-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2006-04-26. Retrieved 2006-10-27.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
-  Archived 28 August 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-09-19. Retrieved 2008-07-31.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
-  Archived 8 October 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- "flower0a.gif". Smgsh.tc.edu.tw. Retrieved 2014-02-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "國立台中家商". Tchcvs.tc.edu.tw. 2004-11-24. Retrieved 2014-02-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "國立中興大學附屬臺中高級農業學校". Tcavs.tc.edu.tw. Retrieved 2014-02-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "國立臺中高工全球資訊網". Tcivs.tc.edu.tw. Retrieved 2014-02-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "光華高工". Khvs.tc.edu.tw. Retrieved 2014-02-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- 以力數位行銷有限公司,www.isreal.com.tw. "國立台中啟聰學校". Thdf.tc.edu.tw. Retrieved 2014-02-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
-  Archived 3 December 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- "Taichung City Education Bureau". Archived from the original on 2006-10-29. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) Note:While bilingual, the Chinese side has MUCH more information.
- "National Taichung University of Science and Technology".
- "National Chunghsing University". Archived from the original on 2006-11-10. Retrieved 2006-10-28.
- "National Taiwan College of Physical Education".
- "National Taichung University".
- "Tunghai University".
- "Feng Chia University".
- "China Medical University".
- "Overseas Chinese Institute of Technology".
- "National Taichung Nursing College".
- "National Taichung Institute of Technology".
Vocational High SchoolsEdit
- "Taichung Home Economics and Commercial High School".
- "National Agricultural Senior High School (in Chinese)".
- "National Taichung Industrial High School".
- "Kuang-Hwa Vocational High School of Technology".
Special Education SchoolsEdit
- "National Taichung School for the Deaf". Archived from the original on 2006-07-08. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "National Taichung Special Education School".
Public Elementary SchoolsEdit
- Note: Where English spellings differ from Chinese and English language sites, the spelling on the Chinese site is used.
- "Taichung Municipal Chung-Cheng Elementary School (in Chinese)".
- "Guang-Zheng Elementary School". Archived from the original on 2006-08-20. Retrieved 2006-10-31.