List of airports in Uttar Pradesh
This list contains the following information:
- City served – The city generally associated with the airport. This is not always the actual location since some airports are located in smaller towns outside of the city they serve.
- ICAO – The location indicator assigned by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
- ICAO indicator
- VE – East Zone
- VI – North Zone
- ICAO indicator
- IATA – The airport code assigned by the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
- Role – Role of the airport as given by the table below
|Civil enclave||Civil enclaves at a military airport|
|Closed/former||No longer in use|
|Domestic||Handles only domestic flights|
|International||Equipped with customs and immigration facilities|
|Airbase||A military airbase|
|Flying school||Airport is used to teach trainees to fly|
|Commercial service||Airport has commercial service|
|Airport has no commercial service|
The much awaited Kushingar international airport was projected to cost about Rs 354 crore under public private partnership (PPP). In January 2014, the Akhilesh cabinet had cleared the project to be built under Design Build Finance Operate Transfer (DBFOT) basis and approved the final bid document.
The bidders, who had previously qualified the technical bid stage in March 2013 included GMR, Essel, Gammon India etc. Besides, the state had acquired the land spanning 550 acres.
The airport with a runway of 3,200 metres was estimated to serve about 2,50,000 tourists annually. It was touted to be India's first airport wherein the Centre had given in-principle approval for viability gap funding (VGF) of 20 per cent. Additional 20 per cent grant had been committed from the state government. Hence, the total permissible VGF grant of 40 percent came to about Rs 170 crore.
Kushinagar has an old airstrip spanning 97 acres to handle small aircraft. According to a study, over 3,00,000 international tourists come to Kushinagar annually to visit Buddhist sites.
Jewar (Greater Noida)
The Jewar airport was proposed in 2001 as an aviation hub to rival New Delhi's Indira Gandhi International Airport. The project was approved by AAI in 2003, when Mayawati was at helm (2007-12) in Uttar Pradesh
Mayawati had vigorously pushed for it, although it fell within the 150 km radius of the international airport in the national capital. The existing rules had prohibited another airport within such radius unless approved exclusively.
Soon after coming to power in March 2012, the Akhilesh government had virtually scrapped the Jewar international airport project and pitched for an airport in Agra to cater the Taj Mahal-Braj tourist circuit.
The government had even identified land near Etmadpur, about 16 km from Agra City, for the mega project. However, the defence ministry raised objections over the proposed site.
The Kanpur Dehat administration has proposed setting up of an international airport in Rasoolabad area of the district which comes under Kannauj parliamentary constituency represented by chief minister Akhilesh Yadav's wife Dimple The district administration had identified three places in Rasoolabad for the international project project as the state government had recently asked it to identify suitable land for the project. Earlier, the Airport Authority of India (AAI) had asked the state government to provide 300-metre-wide and three-kilometre-long piece of land in Kanpur Dehat to construct the airport according to international standards.A chunk of land has been identified at Rasoolpur, another at Bhevan village and the third near Bujhwa village on Kanpur Road for constructing the airport. A report regarding the same will be submitted to the state government for approval. The airport will have a terminal and a three-km-long runway. Flights to Lucknow, Varanasi and Allahabad besides metro cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai and Bangalore and abroad can be operated from the proposed Rasoolabad airport.
- "Licensed Aerodromes in India" (PDF). Directorate General of Civil Aviation of India. 2008-11-10.
- Airports Authority of India website: AirportsIndia.org.in or AAI.aero
- "ICAO Location Indicators by State" (PDF). International Civil Aviation Organization. 2006-01-12.
- "UN Location Codes: India". UN/LOCODE 2009-1. UNECE. 2009-09-23. - includes IATA codes
- Great Circle Mapper - IATA and ICAO codes
- List of Indian Air Force Stations at GlobalSecurity.org
- scribd - Directory of Airports in India with codes and coordinates
- PilotFriend - Indian Airstrips