List of Taiwanese submissions for the Academy Award for Best International Feature Film
The Republic of China (Taiwan) has submitted films for the Academy Award for Best International Feature Film[nb 1] since 1957, and regularly since 1980. The award is handed out annually by the United States Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States that contains primarily non-English dialogue. It was not created until the 1956 Academy Awards, in which a competitive Academy Award of Merit, known as the Best Foreign Language Film Award, was created for non-English speaking films, and has been given annually since.
For the purposes of Oscar submissions, AMPAS recognizes Mainland China, Taiwan and Hong Kong as separate entities, and each one regularly submits a film to the competition. Taiwan became the first of the three ethnic Chinese entities to enter the competition in 1957.
To date, Taiwan has submitted forty-seven films for Oscar consideration. Three Taiwanese films have been nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, and all three nominated films were directed by Ang Lee: The Wedding Banquet, Eat Drink Man Woman, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which is the only Taiwanese film to have won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. Taiwan initially selected Ang Lee's Lust, Caution in 2007, but AMPAS did not accept the film saying that was not a majority-Taiwanese production. Directors Chen Kunhou and Hou Hsiao-hsien have each had three films selected to represent Taiwan, but none received an Oscar nomination.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has invited the film industries of various countries to submit their best film for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film since 1956. The Foreign Language Film Award Committee oversees the process and reviews all the submitted films. Following this, they vote via secret ballot to determine the five nominees for the award. Below is a list of the films that have been submitted by Taiwan for review by the Academy for the award by year and the respective Academy Awards ceremony.
|Film title used in nomination||Original title||Language||Director||Result|
|Amina||Āměinà (阿美娜)||Mandarin||Yuan Congmei||Not nominated|
|Lovers' Rock||Qíngrén shí (情人石)||Mandarin||Pan Lei||Not nominated|
|The Silent Wife||Yǎnǚ qíngxīn (啞女情深)||Mandarin||Lee Hsing||Not nominated|
|Execution in Autumn||Qiūjué (秋決)||Mandarin||Lee Hsing||Not nominated|
|Eight Hundred Heroes||Bābǎi zhuàngshì (八百壯士)||Mandarin||Ting Shan-hsi||Not nominated|
|The Legend of the Six Dynasty||Liùcháo guàitán (六朝怪談)||Mandarin||Wong Guk-gam||Not nominated|
|If I Were for Real||Jiǎrú wǒshì zhēnde (假如我是真的)||Mandarin||Wang Toon||Not nominated|
|The Battle for the Republic of China||Xīnhài shuāngshí (辛亥雙十)||Mandarin||Ting Shan-hsi||Not nominated|
|Growing Up||Xiǎo Bì de gùshì (小畢的故事)||Mandarin||Chen Kunhou||Not nominated|
|Old Mao's Second Spring||Lǎo Mò de dì èr ge chūntiān (老莫的第二個春天)||Mandarin||Lee You-ning||Not nominated|
|Kuei-Mei, a Woman||Wǒ zhèyàng guòle yìshēng (我這樣過了一生)||Mandarin||Chang Yi||Not nominated|
|The Heroic Pioneers||Tángshān guò Táiwān (唐山過台灣)||Mandarin||Lee Shing||Not nominated|
|Osmanthus Alley||Guìhuā xiàng (桂花巷)||Mandarin||Chen Kunhou||Not nominated|
|My Mother's Teahouse||Chūnqiū cháshì (春秋茶室)||Mandarin||Chen Kunhou||Not nominated|
|A City of Sadness||Bēiqíng chéngshì (悲情城市)||Mandarin||Hou Hsiao-hsien||Not nominated|
|Song of the Exile||Kètú qiūhèn (客途秋恨)||Cantonese, Japanese, Mandarin, English||Ann Hui||Not nominated|
|A Brighter Summer Day||Gúlǐngjiē shàonián shārén shìjiàn (牯嶺街少年殺人事件)||Mandarin, Shanghainese, Taiwanese Hokkien||Edward Yang||Not nominated|
|Secret Love for the Peach Blossom Spring||Ànliàn táohuāyuán (暗戀桃花源)||Mandarin||Stan Lai||Not nominated|
|The Wedding Banquet||Xǐyàn (喜宴)||Mandarin, English||Ang Lee||Nominated|
|Eat Drink Man Woman||Yǐnshí nánnǚ (飲食男女)||Mandarin, Taiwanese Hokkien, Japanese, Cantonese, Shanghainese||Ang Lee||Nominated|
|Super Citizen Ko||Chāojí dàguómín (超級大國民)||Taiwanese Hokkien||Wan Jen||Not nominated|
|Tonight Nobody Goes Home||Jīntiān bùhuíjiā (今天不回家)||Mandarin||Sylvia Chang||Not nominated|
|Yours and Mine||Wǒde shénjīngbìng (我的神經病)||Mandarin||Wang Siu-di||Not nominated|
|Flowers of Shanghai||Hāi shàng huā (海上花)||Cantonese, Shanghainese||Hou Hsiao-hsien||Not nominated|
|March of Happiness||Tiānmǎ cháfáng (天馬茶房)||Taiwanese Hokkien, Japanese, Mandarin, Shanghainese||Lin Cheng-sheng||Not nominated|
|Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon||Wòhǔ cánglóng (臥虎藏龍)||Mandarin||Ang Lee||Won Academy Award|
|The Cabbie||Yùnzhuǎnshǒu zhī liàn (運轉手之戀)||Mandarin, Taiwanese Hokkien||Chen Yiwen, Huakun Zhang||Not nominated|
|The Best of Times||Měilì shíguāng (美麗時光)||Mandarin, Hakka, Taiwanese Hokkien||Chang Tso-chi||Not nominated|
|Goodbye, Dragon Inn||Búsàn (不散)||Mandarin, Taiwanese Hokkien||Tsai Ming-Liang||Not nominated|
|20 30 40||20 30 40||Mandarin||Sylvia Chang||Not nominated|
|The Wayward Cloud||Tiānbiān yìduǒyún (天邊一朵雲)||Mandarin||Tsai Ming-Liang||Not nominated|
|Blue Cha Cha||Shēnhǎi (深海)||Mandarin||Chen Wen-Tang||Not nominated|
|Island Etude ||Liànxíqǔ (練習曲)||Mandarin, Taiwanese Hokkien, English, Lithuanian||Chen Hwai-en||Not nominated|
|Cape No. 7||Háijiǎo qīhào (海角七號)||Taiwanese Hokkien, Mandarin, Japanese||Wei Te-sheng||Not nominated|
|Cannot Live Without You||Bùnéng méiyǒu nǐ (不能沒有你)||Hakka, Taiwanese Hokkien, Mandarin||Leon Dai||Not nominated|
|Monga||Báng-kah (艋舺)||Taiwanese Hokkien, Mandarin||Doze Niu||Not nominated|
|Warriors of the Rainbow: Seediq Bale||Sài Dé Kè．Ba Lái (賽德克‧巴萊)||Seediq, Japanese, Taiwanese Hokkien||Wei Te-sheng||Made shortlist|
|Touch of the Light||逆光飛翔 (Nìguāng fēixiáng)||Mandarin||Chang Rong-ji||Not nominated|
|Soul||失魂||Mandarin||Chung Mong-Hong||Not nominated|
|Ice Poison||冰毒||Southwestern Mandarin, Burmese||Midi Z||Not nominated|
|The Assassin||刺客聶隱娘||Mandarin||Hou Hsiao-hsien||Not nominated|
|Hang in There, Kids!||只要我長大||Mandarin, Atayal||Laha Mebow||Not nominated|
|Small Talk||日常對話||Taiwanese Hokkien||Huang Hui-chen||Not nominated|
|The Great Buddha+||大佛普拉斯||Taiwanese Hokkien, Mandarin, English||Huang Hsin-yao||Not nominated|
|Dear Ex||誰先愛上他的||Mandarin||Mag Hsu, Hsu Chih-yen||Not nominated|
|A Sun||陽光普照||Mandarin||Chung Mong-hong||Made shortlist|
|The Falls||瀑布||Mandarin||Chung Mong-hong||Not nominated|
|Goddamned Asura||該死的阿修羅||Mandarin||Lou Yi-an||Not nominated|
- Cinema of Taiwan
- List of Taiwanese films
- List of Academy Award-winning foreign language films
- List of Academy Award winners and nominees for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Chinese submissions for the Academy Award for Best International Feature Film
- List of Hong Kong submissions for the Academy Award for Best International Feature Film
- ^ "Academy announces rules for 92nd Oscars". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. 23 April 2019. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- ^ "Academy Announces Rule Changes For 92nd Oscars". Forbes. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- ^ a b "Rule Thirteen: Special Rules for the Foreign Language Film Award". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 22 August 2013. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- ^ a b "History of the Academy Awards - Page 2". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 22 June 2008. Retrieved 22 August 2008.
- ^ "Ang Lee - Awards". Movies & TV Dept. The New York Times. 2007. Archived from the original on 5 December 2007. Retrieved 22 August 2008.
- ^ "'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' Wins Best Foreign Film Oscar". People's Daily. 26 March 2001. Retrieved 22 August 2008.
- ^ Taiwan originally selected Lust, Caution, but AMPAS did not accept the film because it was not a majority-Taiwanese production
- ^ "9 Foreign Language Films Continue to Oscar Race". oscars.org. Retrieved 19 January 2011.
- ^ "9 Foreign Language Films Vie for Oscar". oscars.org. 18 January 2012. Archived from the original on 18 May 2012. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- ^ Coonan, Clifford (27 September 2012). "'Touch of the Light' to rep Taiwan at Oscars". Variety. Reed Business Information. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- ^ "Oscars: Taiwan Nominates 'Soul' for Foreign Language Category". Hollywood Reporter. 16 September 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- ^ "Taiwan to Take 'Ice Poison' on Foreign-Language Oscar Campaign". Variety. 9 September 2014. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
- ^ "Taiwan Selects 'The Assassin' as Oscar Entry". Variety. 10 September 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- ^ "Taiwan's indigenous film 'Lokah Laqi' to vie for Oscar award". Focus Taiwan. 22 September 2016. Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- ^ Rahman, Abid (21 September 2017). "Oscars: Taiwan Selects 'Small Talk' for Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 21 September 2017.
- ^ Patrick, Frater (14 September 2018). "Oscars: Taiwan Sends 'Great Buddha+' Into Foreign-Language Contention". Variety. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- ^ "Taiwan sends gay-themed comedy 'Dear Ex' to Oscars". Taiwan News. 12 September 2019. Retrieved 12 September 2019.
- ^ "Family drama 'A Sun' to represent Taiwan at 2021 Oscars". Focus Taiwan. 28 September 2020. Retrieved 28 September 2020.
- ^ Davis, Clayton (9 February 2021). "Oscars Shortlists Announced in Nine Categories". Variety. Retrieved 10 February 2021.
- ^ "'The Falls' to represent Taiwan at 2022 Oscars - Focus Taiwan". Focus Taiwan. 7 October 2021. Retrieved 7 October 2021.
- ^ "《該死的阿修羅》去年抱走金馬最佳女配角 將代表台角逐第95屆奥斯卡". mirrormedia. 15 August 2022. Retrieved 15 August 2022.