List of American football players who died during their careers
This is a list of players of American football who died while still on a team roster. Included are players in professional and college football who have died of any cause. Players who ended their careers to join the military and died while in service are included. Each player is listed with the team to which he was assigned at the time of his death (or, in the case of military members, the last team for which they played before enlisting), rather than the team with which he spent most of his career. Players who were free agents at the time of their death are not listed.
Players who ended their careers to join the militaryEdit
This table is only for players who ended their NFL career to join the military in a time of war, including players who were drafted into the military, and were killed in action.
|War served in|
|Mike Basca||27||1944||HB||Philadelphia Eagles||1941||World War II|
|Charlie Behan||24||1945||End||Detroit Lions||1942||World War II|
|Harry Benson||34||1943||G||Philadelphia Eagles||1935||World War II|
|Keith Birlem||28||1943||End||Washington Redskins||1939||World War II|
|Al Blozis||26||1945||OT||New York Giants||1944||World War II|
|Young Bussey||27||1945||QB||Chicago Bears||1945||World War II|
|Howard "Smiley" Johnson||28||1945||G||Green Bay Packers||1941||World War II|
|Bob Kalsu||25||1970||G||Buffalo Bills||1968||Vietnam War|
|Alex Ketzko||25||1944||T||Detroit Lions||1943||World War II|
|Jack Lummus||29||1945||End||New York Giants||1937||World War II|
|Don Steinbrunner||35||1967||T||Cleveland Browns||1953||Vietnam War|
|Len Supulski||22||1943||End||Philadelphia Eagles||1942||World War II|
|Pat Tillman||27||2004||S||Arizona Cardinals||2001||War in Afghanistan|
|Don Wemple||27||1944||End||Brooklyn Dodgers||1941||World War II|
|Chet Wetterlund||26||1944||HB||Detroit Lions||1942||World War II|
|Waddy Young||28||1945||End||Brooklyn Dodgers||1940||World War II|
Arena Football LeagueEdit
- Johnathan Goddard, 27, Colorado Crush, defensive end, motorcycle accident (2008)
- Al Lucas, 26, Los Angeles Avengers, defensive tackle, in-game neck injury (2005)
- Justin Skaggs, 28, Utah Blaze, quarterback, stage III oligodendroglioma brain cancer (2007)
- Johnie Kirton, 26, San Jose SaberCats, running back, methadone toxicity/unknown (2012)
- Julian Yearwood, 31, Bakersfield Blitz, fullback/linebacker, clogged arteries (2003)
- Chandler Williams, 27, Tampa Bay Storm, wide receiver, cardiac arrest (2013)
National Football LeagueEdit
† Davis was under contract when he died though did not play in a game due to his illness.
†† Johnson was injured in a pre-season game and did not play in a regular season game.
Canadian Football LeagueEdit
|Name||Age||Position||Team||Cause of death||Year|
|Mylan Hicks||23||DB||Calgary Stampeders||Homicide||2016|
|Joe McKnight||28||RB||Saskatchewan Roughriders||Homicide||2016|
|Derrell Robertson||27||DE||Las Vegas Posse||Automobile accident||1994|
|Adrian Robinson||25||LB||Hamilton Tiger-Cats||Suicide||2015|
|Ted Watkins||27||WR||Hamilton Tiger-Cats||Shot while robbing a liquor store||1968|
Continental Football LeagueEdit
|Player||Age||University||Position||Cause of death||Year|
|Larry Aaron III||19||Marshall University||Defensive lineman||Complications from stray gunshot wound that left him paralyzed from the waist-down.||2018 |
|Rodney Abercrombie||23||California University of Pennsylvania||Defensive back||Injuries from jumping out of second-story window to escape armed assailant||2003|
|Keith Adams||23||Gettysburg College||Jeep accident||2002|
|Shawn Afryl||22||Winona State University||Offensive lineman||Collapsed during offseason workout||2014|
|Ted Agu||21||University of California, Berkeley||Defensive end||Collapsed during training run||2014|
|Parker Alford||22||University of Texas at Austin||Tight end||Car accident||1974|
|Bill Allen||18||Central Missouri State College (now University of Central Missouri)||Death during practice||1965|
|Kyle Allen||21||Presbyterian College||Linebacker||Accidental acute alcohol intoxication||2012|
|Don Anderson||Gustavus Adolphus College||Team bus crash||1938|
|Chris Angeloff||20||University of Akron||Tight end||During game vs. Marshall University||1975|
|Antonio Atkins||Albany State University||Running Back||Shooting||2006|
|Avery Atkins||20||University of Florida||Cornerback||Found dead in car||2007|
|Sal Aunese||21||University of Colorado||Quarterback||Stomach cancer||1989|
|Eraste Autin||18||University of Florida||Fullback||Heat stroke||2001|
|Marlin Barnes||22||University of Miami||Linebacker||Homicide||1996|
|Paul Becker||Caltech||Center||Skull fracture suffered in Caltech-La Verne College game||1939|
|Todd Becker||20||University of Pittsburgh||Linebacker||Fall from third-story dormitory window||1982|
|George Behan||21||Georgetown University||Halfback||Broken vertebrae during game vs. Columbia A.C.||1894|
|Nick Bell||20||Mississippi State University||Defensive end||Brain cancer||2010|
|Vernon Belyea||Norwich University||Injuries suffered in game vs. Holy Cross||1913|
|Heath Benedict||24||Newberry College||Offensive tackle||Enlarged heart||2008|
|Vince Bernardo||17||Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania||Offensive lineman||During drills||2006|
|Brook Berringer||22||University of Nebraska||Quarterback||Plane crash||1996|
|Kendall Berry||22||Florida International University||Running back||Homicide (stabbed)||2010|
|Preston Birdsong||18||Tennessee Tech||Defensive back||Heat illness||2000|
|Jason Bitsko||21||Kent State University||Center||Enlarged heart||2014|
|Jackie Blanding||26||Albany State University||Defensive lineman||Collapsed while running off-campus||2003|
|Dave Bliss||20||College of San Mateo||Head injury in game vs. Santa Monica City College||1967|
|Thomas E. Bloom||21||Purdue University||Fullback||Car accident||1963|
|Michael Bochette||20||Cumberland University||Homicide||2002|
|Douglas Boe||21||Princeton||Tailback||Head injury suffered in game 16 months earlier||1968|
|Austin Box||22||University of Oklahoma||Linebacker||Drug overdose||2011|
|Taylor Bradford||21||University of Memphis||Defensive tackle||Homicide||2007|
|Brandon Brown||26||Tabor College||Defensive lineman||Injuries from beating||2012|
|Michael Bruschini||18||University of Maine||Linebacker||Stabbing||1984|
|Greg Bryant||21||UAB||Running back||Homicide (gunshot wound to the brain)||2016|
|Alan Buder||18||University of Pennsylvania||Defensive tackle||Blood infection after leg injury in junior varsity game vs. Harvard||1964|
|Ben Bundy||20||Southwest Minnesota State University||Offensive lineman||Brain aneurysm||2010|
|Markel Byrd||20||University of New Mexico||Safety||Car accident||2015|
|Eugene Byrne||Army||In-game injuries vs. Harvard||1909|
|Derringer Cade||20||Northeast Missouri State University (now Truman State University)||During game vs. Southwest Baptist University||1990|
|Chris Campbell||21||University of Miami||Linebacker||Car accident||2002|
|Archer Christian||18||University of Virginia||Halfback||In-game injuries vs. Georgetown||1909|
|Ed Christian||20||Auburn University||Offensive lineman||Homicide||2012|
|James Clark||18||Oklahoma State University||Defensive lineman||Suicide by hanging||1985|
|Sam Collins||18||Huntingdon College||Defensive lineman||Heatstroke||2008|
|Chris Cooper||21||University of New Mexico||Lineman||Cardiac arrest during workout||1990|
|Teddy Craft||22||Georgia Southern University||Wide receiver||Motorcycle accident||2006|
|Carl Dahlbeck||Purdue University||Locker room explosion||1936|
|Tony Danckert||20||Boston University||Linebacker||Reaction to anesthesia||1976|
|Mario Danelo||21||USC||Kicker||Fall from a cliff||2007|
|Devaughn Darling||18||Florida State University||Linebacker||Cardiac arrhythmia, possible sickle cell complications||2001|
|Michael DeGroote||22||Northern Arizona University||Tight end||Accidental firearm discharge during camping trip||2015|
|Joseph Delaney||Villanova University||Fullback||Car accident||1932|
|Ray Dennison||26||Fort Lewis A&M (now Fort Lewis College)||in-game death||1955|
|Mike DeNiro||20||Texas A&M||Defensive End||Car Accident||1970|
|Bernd Diettrich||21||Simon Fraser University||Quarterback||Drowning as a result of heart failure||2009|
|Trent DiGiuro||20||University of Kentucky||Offensive guard||Homicide||1994|
|Doug Dilk||21||University of Evansville||Guard||Car accident||1981|
|Keeley Dorsey||19||University of South Florida||Running back||Long QT syndrome||2007|
|Kwane Doster||21||Vanderbilt University||Running back||Homicide||2004|
|Aaron Douglas||21||University of Alabama||Offensive tackle||Found dead in a house in Fernandina Beach, Florida||2011|
|Jahneil Douglas||22||University of Toledo||Defensive lineman||Shooting||2020|
|Todd Doxey||19||University of Oregon||Defensive back||Drowning||2008|
|Butch Duhe||21||Louisiana State University||Quarterback||Brain hemorrhage||1970|
|Tyrone Duplessis||21||Louisiana Tech||Running back||Heart attack||2012|
|Arthur Ehlers||University of Iowa||Brain hemorrhage suffered in freshman vs. varsity game||1933|
|Chris Emerson||19||University of Kansas||Fullback||Pulmonary embolism||1982|
|Nate Evans||19||College of William & Mary||Running Back||Homicide||2019|
|Brandon Fails||18||Texas A&M University||Blood clot in leg||2002|
|Cody Fanning||20||Doane College||Fall from truck||2012|
|Mitch Farney||20||University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa||Wide Receiver||Heart attack while playing pick up basketball||2008|
|Daniel Fitzwater||20||University of Louisiana at Monroe||Quarterback||Unknown causes||2015|
|Ben Flick||19||University of Cincinnati||Offensive lineman||Car accident||2013|
|Donald Foley||19||United States Naval Academy||Fullback||Spinal cord injury during practice||1961|
|Sam Foltz||22||University Of Nebraska||Punter||Car crash||2016|
|William Foster||20||Johnson C. Smith University||Guard||Internal injuries suffered when kicked in the stomach during practice||1961|
|Billy Gaines||19||University of Pittsburgh||Fall through church ceiling||2003|
|Tommy McGannon||20||Purdue University||RB||Locker room explosion||1936|
|Richard Giardi||22||College of the Holy Cross||Accidental overdose of anesthesia||1968|
|George Gipp||25||University of Notre Dame||Strep throat infection and pneumonia||1920|
|James Glenn||19||Texas A&M University||Place kicker||Heart ailment before practice||1991|
|Cecil Gooding||20||University of Michigan||Guard||Typhoid||1904|
|Vernon Grant||22||Oklahoma State University||Car crash||2005|
|Kenneth Gray||Oregon State University||Tackle||Traffic accident||1981|
|Robert Grays Jr.||19||Midwestern State University||Cornerback||Neck injury during game vs. Texas A&M University-Kingsville||2017|
|Reggie Grob||19||University of Texas at Austin||Guard||Heat stroke during practice||1962|
|Michael Guliford||19||University of Florida||Motorcycle accident||2007|
|Patrick Gullahorn||19||Vanderbilt||Offensive lineman||Fall from sixth-floor dorm window||1997|
|Jayson Gwinn||20||Ohio State University||Car accident||1993|
|Brandon Hall||19||University of Minnesota||Homicide (shooting)||2002|
|Harold Hamm||Dartmouth College||Fullback||Lightning strike while fishing||1928|
|Eddie Hanna||24||Colorado A&M (now Colorado State University)||Halfback||Heart attack following game vs. Colorado College||1949|
|Andrew Harris||22||University of Montana||Defensive lineman||Suicide||2019|
|Lydell Hartford Jr.||20||University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff||Linebacker||Accidental shooting||2013|
|Edwin Hartman||22||Geneva College||Quarterback||Car accident||1983|
|Ron Hatchett||21||Doane College||Tackle||Ammonia gas leak from ruptured tank car||1969|
|Tyler Heintz||19||Kent State University||Offensive Line||Exertional Hyperthermia||2017|
|Zach Hemmila||22||University of Arizona||Offensive Line||Toxic drug interaction||2016|
|Danroy "DJ" Henry Jr.||20||Pace University||Wide receiver and defensive back||Police shooting||2010|
|Dibrell Hicks||Carson-Newman College||Shooting||1927|
|Brian Hiemer||21||University of Nebraska||Suicide||1985|
|Tyler Hilinski||21||Washington State University||Quarterback||Suicide||2018|
|Edwin Hill||New York University||Halfback||Accidental shooting during a prank||1929|
|Matthew Holland||19||Mayville State University||Tight end||Seizure||2015|
|Wilson Holloway||University of Tulsa||Defensive lineman||Hodgkin's lymphoma||2011|
|Demetre Homer||19||Yale||Guard||Brain injury suffered in JV game||1952|
|Jasper Howard||20||University of Connecticut||Homicide (stabbed)||2009|
|Earl Hundley||Georgetown College||Tackle||Heart attack during practice||1962|
|Kordero Hunter||21||Central State University||Defensive back||Shooting||2011|
|James Hyde||18||Howard College||Following practice||1965|
|Brandon Jackson||20||United States Military Academy (Army)||Defensive back||Car crash||2016|
|Jawan Jackson||19||Northern Illinois University||During conditioning drills||2002|
|Solomon Jackson||20||State University of New York at Buffalo||Defensive end||Collapsed during off-season conditioning drills||2016|
|Chris Johnson||22||Duquesne University||Defensive back||Suicide; gunshot||2015|
|JeKelcy Johnson||20||Alcorn State University||Linebacker||Shooting||2001|
|Diondre Johnson||19||Missouri Southern State University||Tight end||Car crash||2011|
|Renard Johnson||21||Missouri Southern State University||Running back||Car crash||2009|
|Marcus Jones||18||Samford University||Heart ailment after practice||1989|
|William Wayne Jones||19||Tennessee State University||Defensive back||Collapsed during a non-contact practice||2012|
|Keith Joseph Jr.||18||Mississippi State University||Defensive end||Killed in car accident along with father, who was a former Mississippi State football player||2015|
|Mike Karas||23||Geneva College||Quarterback||Car accident||1958|
|Mike Kelsey||SMU||Center||Heat prostration during practice||1962|
|Kosta Karageorge||22||Ohio State||Defensive lineman||Suicide||2014|
|John Karkoska||19||Baylor University||Offensive lineman||During pre-game warmups||1990|
|John Kaczmarski||18||Utica College||Snowmobile accident||2008|
|Brian Keller||21||Lafayette College||Tight end||Injuries sustained in single-vehicle car accident||2015|
|Chamoda Kennedy-Palmore||19||University of Cincinnati||Running back||Motorcycle accident||2014|
|Kelly Kent||21||Abilene Christian University||Running back||Heart attack during intramural basketball game||1979|
|Eddie Key III||18||Wayne State College||Defensive lineman||Pneumonia||2014|
|Kevin Keyes||18||Charleston Southern University||Running back||Shooting during a carjacking||1998|
|Allen Kidder||22||USC||Blood infection after human bite||1936|
|Harry Knight||Drexel||Fullback||Crushed skull during practice game against Penn||1894|
|Joey Kraemer||19||Eastern Kentucky University||Offensive lineman||Single vehicle accident||2015|
|Mitch Kramer||21||Thomas More College (Kentucky)||Defensive back||ATV crash||2015|
|Charles Kyeremeh, Jr.||20||University of Maine||Running back||Motorcycle accident||2011|
|Anthony Lalum||19||University of Mary||Car accident||2003|
|Andrew Lang||University of Pennsylvania||Neck fracture during game vs. Mercersberg Academy||1922|
|Robert Lewin||20||Baltimore Medical College||Tackle||Heart attack in game vs. Navy||1903|
|Josh Linthicum||19||Wabash College||During surgery||2010|
|Nick Liotta||22||Villanova||Guard||Hanging in dorm||1951|
|Dale Lloyd||19||Rice University||Defensive back||During workout||2006|
|Ricky Lannetti||19||Lycoming College||Wide receiver||Staph infection||2003|
|Charles "Sonny" Lohr||19||University of Maryland||Center||Heat stroke||1959|
|David Lora||21||Middle Tennessee University||Homicide (Stabbed after argument at a gas station)||1989|
|Polo Manukainiu||19||Texas A&M||Defensive end||Car crash||2013|
|Sheldon Martin||20||Chaffey College||Wide receiver||Shot to death on freeway||2014|
|Sean Matti||22||Purdue University||Running back||Drowning in lake||2011|
|Bobby McBride||Wilkes College||Defensive back||Cerebral hemorrhage in game vs. Kings Point||1972|
|Alexander "Tennessee" McClelland||Bluffton University||Bone cancer||2011|
|Michael McCrimmins||19||Missouri Southern State University||Defensive back||Car crash||2011|
|Corey McCullers||19||Troy University||Offensive lineman||Car accident||2015|
|Keffer McGee||22||Mississippi State University||Running back||Drowning in swimming pool||1997|
|Jay McGillis||21||Boston College||Linebacker||Cancer||1992|
|Stan McGuire||Oregon State||Lineman||Toboggan accident, struck by car||1950|
|Will McKamey||19||United States Naval Academy (Navy)||Running back||Collapsed at practice||2014|
|Jordan McNair||19||Maryland||Offensive lineman||Liver failure (caused by heatstroke) ||2018|
|Tim McNerney||21||Washington & Jefferson||Running back||Homicide (mugging)||2012|
|Ken McRoyal||22||University of Idaho||Wide receiver||Homicide (shooting)||2012|
|Marquese Meadow||18||Morgan State University||Defensive lineman||Complications from heatstroke||2014|
|Ken Meenan||26||University of Illinois||Running back||Blood poisoning following motorcycle accident||1934|
|William "Bill" Mehl||21||Valparaiso University||Guard||In-game injury, resulting in streptococcal infection, vs. Manchester University||1938|
|Naeshall D. Menard||20||Louisiana State University||Center||Suicide||1998|
|Jarvis Midgett||18||University of Tampa||Tackle||Brain injury during workout drill||1954|
|Darius Minor||18||University of Maine||Defensive back||Acute aortic dissection||2018|
|Jakell Mitchell||18||Auburn University||Fullback||Homicide by shooting||2014|
|Kyndle Mongeon||20||Colgate University||Offensive tackle||Stabbing||1993|
|Parker Moore||20||Linfield College||Linebacker||Homicide (Stabbed)||2014|
|Stanley Moore||Michigan College of Mines (now Michigan Technological University)||Shooting||1931|
|Darris Morris||21||Catawba College||Linebacker||Shooting||2002|
|Kevin Morris||20||Antelope Valley College||Defensive back||Homicide (shooting)||2001|
|Edward Morrissey||St. Ambrose College||Blood poisoning after in-game leg injury||1913|
|Martin Morrow||21||Morgan Park Jr. College||Cerebral hemorrhage||1938|
|Meredith Morton||19||Rice||Guard||Car crash||1969|
|Chucky Mullins||21||University of Mississippi||Spinal cord injury after 1989 on-field collision||1991|
|Rudolph Munk||West Virginia University||Halfback||Concussion after being kicked in the head during a game||1910|
|Cornelius Murphy||Fordham University||Brain injury suffered in game vs. Bucknell||1931|
|Ruben Narcisse||19||University of Wyoming||Linebacker||Truck accident||2010|
|Derrick Nash||20||Central Michigan University||Defensive back||Acute lymphoblastic leukemia||2015|
|James Gamble Nippert||23||University of Cincinnati||Center||Spike wound suffered while playing vs. Miami (Ohio)||1923|
|Rishaul Nital||22||Alma College||Defensive lineman||Unknown medical complications||2015|
|Vince Njoku||19||Lenoir-Rhyne College||Running back||Drowned||2014|
|Malik Noshi||22||Northern Arizona University||Offensive lineman||Opioid overdose||2019|
|Carleton Oats Jr.||18||Utah State University||Collapsed during workout||1987|
|Charles (Chuck) Ogbogu||26||Thomas More College (Kentucky)||Linebacker||Cardiac arrest||2003|
|Idong Okon||21||University of Arkansas, Monticello||Offensive lineman||Asthma attack||2015|
|Aaron O'Neal||19||University of Missouri||Defensive back||Viral meningitis||2005|
|Markel Owens||21||Arkansas State University||Defensive lineman||Shot during home robbery||2014|
|Greg Page||19||University of Kentucky||Defensive end||Neck injury sustained in practice||1967|
|L.L. Paine||Cornell University||Internal injuries suffered in a scrimmage||1910|
|John Pappas||20||Boston University||Guard||Head injuries suffered in Boston University-Syracuse game||1953|
|Troy Pappas||18||Bates College||Wide receiver||Injuries from stairwell fall||2012|
|Nick Pasquale||20||UCLA||Wide receiver||Hit by a car||2013|
|Bryan Pata||22||University of Miami||Homicide||2006|
|Ladarious Phillips||20||Auburn University||Fullback||Homicide||2012|
|Kovensky Pierre||18||Bethune-Cookman||Offensive lineman||Car accident||2004|
|Alfred Pimm||Amherst College||Halfback||Spinal injuries incurred during practice||1926|
|Cole Pittman||21||University of Texas at Austin||Defensive tackle||Car crash||2001|
|Ereck Plancher||19||University of Central Florida||Heat stroke||2008|
|Polie Poitier||19||University of Colorado Boulder||Defensive back||Collapsed during training run due to complications from sickle cell disease||1974|
|Greg Pratt||20||Auburn University||Fullback||Collapsed on practice field||1983|
|Gregory Pratt||19||Abilene Christian University||Pulmonary aspiration||1980|
|Ted Presley||22||University of Kentucky||Cornerback||Shooting while playing Russian roulette||1993|
|Bob Priester||University of Mississippi||Defensive lineman||While running laps||1965|
|Charles Prior||22||Lehigh University||Quarterback||Injuries suffered in game vs. West Virginia Wesleyan||1925|
|Michael Rakov||20||Williams College||Guard||Car accident||1955|
|Francis "Buzz" Randall||20||Oregon State||Center||Leukemia||1958|
|Demarius Reed||20||Eastern Michigan||Wide receiver||Homicide by gunshot||2013|
|Robert Reid||Centenary College of Louisiana||Homicide||1925|
|Mike Reily||21||Williams College||Center and middle linebacker||Hodgkin's disease||1964|
|Trey Rich||26||Belhaven University||Receiver||Struck by drunk motorist while riding bike||2014|
|Aaron Richardson||18||Bowling Green State University||Running back and cornerback||During practice||2004|
|Brandon Robinson||20||South Carolina State University||Linebacker/ defensive end||Homicide (shooting)||2014|
|Osric Robinson||21||Old Dominion University||Linebacker||Car crash||2008|
|Joe Roth||21||University of California Berkeley||Quarterback||Melanoma||1977|
|Brandon Rouse||20||Clemson||Defensive tackle||Heart attack||2000|
|Rich Royster||20||Central Connecticut State University||Defensive tackle||Car accident||2011|
|Ja'Mine Rozzell||18||University of New Mexico||Fullback||Drowning in river||1997|
|Willie Ryles||19||University of Alabama||Defensive lineman||Blood clot||1986|
|Mike Sadler||24||Michigan State University||Punter||Car crash||2016|
|John "Button" Salmon||22||University of Arizona||Quarterback||Car crash||1926|
|Wesley Salonen||23||Montana School of Mines (now Montana Tech of the University of Montana)||Center||Neck fracture in game vs. Eastern Montana||1951|
|Daniel Schatz||19||University of Missouri||Quarterback||Car accident||2010|
|Allan Schafer||17||University of Wisconsin–Madison||Quarterback||Injuries sustained in a game vs. Iowa||1944|
|AJ Schlatter||20||Portland State Vikings football||Linebacker||Blood clot after tonsil surgery||2016|
|Garrett Schlichtemeier||19||Chadron State College||Wide receiver||Car accident||2010|
|Steve Schoenecker||18||Platteville State University (now University of Wisconsin-Platteville)||Heart attack at practice||1969|
|Bryan Scott||Knox College||Tackle||Neck injury in game vs. Saint Louis University||1915|
|George Scruggs||19||University of Alabama||Running back||Car accident||1986|
|Stephen Seard||20||Johnson C. Smith University||Seizure||2009|
|Jay Seiler||19||University of Wisconsin–Madison||Defensive back||Brain injury during practice||1979|
|Ron Settles||21||California State University, Long Beach (Long Beach State)||Running back||Found hanging in jail cell||1981|
|Jeff Seymour||20||University of Tennessee||Defensive back||Cerebral aneurysm||1994|
|Zach Shaver||18||Tarleton State University||Defensive lineman||Head injury sustained during practice||2010|
|Alan Shaw||University of Connecticut||Linebacker||Died in hospital after undisclosed illness||1974|
|Derek Sheely||22||Frostburg State University||Fullback||Brain injury from a helmet-to-helmet hit in practice||2011|
|Richard Brinsley Sheridan||United States Military Academy (Army)||End||Broke neck while a making tackle in the Army-Yale game||1931|
|Scott Sinclair||19||University of South Carolina||Defensive end||Collapsed in locker room during practice||1979|
|Dwane Simmons||23||Washburn University||Defensive Back||Homicide by gunshot||2019|
|Matt Sklom||18||Ferris State University||linebacker||Heart failure during drills||2002|
|Ja'Quayvin Smalls||20||Western Carolina University||Defensive back||During workout||2009|
|Shannon Smith||20||University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa||Kicker||Drowning||1997|
|Claude Smithey||23||University of Arkansas||Tackle||Brain injury during game vs. Texas A&M||1966|
|Eric Sorey||21||University of Southern Mississippi||Fullback||Cardiac arrest following leg cramps||1986|
|Gabriel Soto||21||Lincoln University (Missouri)||Defensive back||Homicide by shooting||2013|
|Wayne Souza||20||University of Wisconsin-Madison||Flanker||Drowned while swimming in Lake Monona||1979|
|Brian Spruill||17||Bethany College||Defensive back||Fall through a window||1984|
|Dylan Steigers||21||Eastern Oregon University||Safety||Brain injury during scrimmage||2010|
|Freddie Joe Steinmark||22||University of Texas at Austin||Safety||Osteosarcoma||1971|
|Artie Steinmetz||19||University of Kentucky||Defensive tackle||Vehicular homicide||1998|
|Rodney Stowers||20||Mississippi State University||Nose guard||Pulmonary hemorrhage after in-game leg injury||1991|
|Sule Osagiede||20||Tulane University||Linebacker||Car accident||2010|
|Zach Swircyznski||20||Austin College||During pickup game of basketball||2009|
|Parnell Sylvio||20||Indiana University Bloomington||Tailback||Stroke during practice||1987|
|Dale Taylor||Southern University||Linebacker||Cardiomyopathy during drills||1998|
|Jack Tandy||21||San Francisco State University||Tackle||Neck injury during San Francisco State-Cal Poly game||1940|
|Bruce Tarver||Stanford University||Lineman||Car accident||1933|
|Christian Taylor||19||Angelo State University||Defensive back||Shot by police during an incident at a car dealership||2015|
|Altee Tenpenny||20||Nicholls State university||Running back||Car accident||2015|
|Damon Terrell||21||University of Arizona||Tight end||Air embolism after removal of dialysis catheter||1995|
|Owen Thomas||21||University of Pennsylvania||Defensive end||Suicide||2010|
|Fred Thompson||19||Oregon State University||Defensive tackle||Cardiac arrhythmia||2011|
|William Tierney||20||Fordham University||Defensive back||Cardiac arrest prior to game vs. Lafayette||1996|
|Gary Tinsley||22||University of Minnesota||Linebacker||Enlarged heart||2012|
|Will Trevillion||20||Texas State University||Defensive lineman||Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy||2016|
|Jack Trice||21||Iowa State University||In-game internal injuries suffered playing vs. the University of Minnesota||1923|
|Brian Truhn||21||Ithaca College||On bench during game vs. Brockport State||1968|
|Bryce Turner||19||University of California||Cornerback||Unknown causes||2019|
|Nicholas Turner||20||Northwest Missouri State University||Defensive end||Unknown causes||2016|
|Joseph Tusan||18||East Central University||Defensive back||Thrown from a pickup bed in a hit-and-run incident||2004|
|Terrence Tusan||22||Howard University||Running back||Shooting||2014|
|Garrett Uekman||19||University of Arkansas||Tight end||Cardiac arrest||2011|
|McCollins Umeh||18||University of Arizona||Enlarged heart||2004|
|Gaius Vaenuku||18||University of Utah||Defensive tackle||Car crash||2013|
|Jacob Valdiviezo||19||Lewis and Clark College||Wide receiver||Homicide (shooting)||2014|
|Daniel Van Etten||West Virginia University||Car accident||1998|
|Rinaldo Villardi||18||Clemson||Motorcycle crash||1950|
|Joseph Villavisencio||22||Texas A&M||Offensive lineman||Car crash||2011|
|Richard Von Albade Gammon||17||Georgia||Fullback||Concussion sustained during game vs. Virginia||1897|
|Robert Vorhies||18||Virginia Tech||Running back||Following punishment drill||1980|
|Chris Waddell||18||Northwestern State University||Offensive lineman||Collapsed during workout (heart disease)||2004|
|Brian Wagner||Emporia State University||Assault||1999|
|Scott Wehnes||21||Charleston Southern University||Defensive lineman||Collapsed while going to practice||1998|
|Pat Wheeler||North Texas State College (now University of North Texas)||Neck injury during North Texas State-Texas Tech freshman game||1961|
|Rashidi Wheeler||22||Northwestern University||Defensive back||Heat stroke||2001|
|Ronnie White||University of Idaho||Car accident||1945|
|Thomas White||19||Southern Methodist University||Heart attack during practice||1966|
|John Wightman||21||Marietta College||Neck fracture in sophomore vs. freshman game||1930|
|Chad Wiley||20||North Carolina A&T State University||Heat stroke||2008|
|Curtis Williams||24||University of Washington||Spinal cord injury suffered in a 2000 on-field collision||2001|
|Hugh Martin Williams||18||Loyola||Kick to abdomen at practice||1932|
|James Williams||19||Diablo Valley College||Defensive back||Seizure during drills||2002|
|Marcellis Williamson||22||Ohio University||Defensive lineman||Heart attack||2011|
|Earl Wilson||24||United States Naval Academy (Navy)||Quarterback||Neck injury sustained in a game vs. Villanova University in 1909||1910|
|Hoot Wilson||Howard College||Brain hemorrhage suffered in freshman vs. varsity game||1933|
|Ralph Wilson||Wabash College||Halfback||In-game injuries||1910|
|Shannon Wright||22||University of Arkansas||Linebacker||Suicide by firearm||1993|
|Narles Yde-Lane||18||Caroll College||Suicide by firearm||2004|
|Theodore York||Yale University||Guard||Pneumonia following in-game rib fractures vs. Army||1912|
|John Zola||20||Lebanon Valley College||Blood clot on brain suffered during Lebanon Valley College-Drexel Tech game||1961|
|Thomas Gilbert Graves||21||Murray State University (was Murray State Normal College)||Quarterback||Broken neck during home game on Thanksgiving vs West Tennessee Normal School in Memphis||1924|
|Marquis Brown||21||Duquesne University||Running Back||Fall from 16th floor of residence hall||2018|
Team vehicle and plane accidentsEdit
- Purdue: 14 members of football team were killed in a railroad collision (1903).
- Northwestern Oklahoma A&M: 5 football players were killed in a head-on highway crash (1966).
- Marshall: 37 members died in an airplane crash (1970).
- Wichita State: most of the starting players and coaches, 31 in total, died in an airplane crash (1970).
- Cal Poly Mustangs football team: 16 players and 6 others died in an airplane crash (1960).
- Southwestern Oklahoma State: 4 football players were killed in a car accident.
- "Clogged arteries killed player". The Tuscaloosa News. September 12, 2003. Retrieved December 17, 2014.
- "Award Set Up in Memory of Player". Ironwood Daily Globe. Associated Press. May 21, 1969.
- "Junior Ted Agu Passes Away Tragically". Cal Athletics. 7 February 2014. Archived from the original on 8 February 2014. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "The NCCAA Record: A Roundup of Current Membership Activities and Personnel Changes". NCAA News. 15 September 1974. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- "12 Austin Box". Oklahoma Sooners. Archived from the original on 2011-05-23. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
- "OU linebacker Austin Box dies after being found unconscious". The Oklahoman. 2011-05-19. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
- "UM Football Player Stabbed to Death". Bangor Daily News (via Google News). 10 January 1984. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- "Greg Bryant of UAB Blazers declared dead day after shooting".
- "Southwest Minnesota State football player dies after brain aneurysm". Star Tribune. 18 February 2010. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "New Mexico safety Markel Byrd killed in car accident". Sports Illustrated. 23 December 2015. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- Heuchert, Dan (2013-06-06). "Plaque to Honor Lambeth's Pivotal Role in U.Va. Athletics, Football's Development". UVA Today. Retrieved 2018-11-24.
- Edds, Kevin. "Football's Founding Fathers". VIRGINIA Magazine. Retrieved 2018-11-24.
- Ratcliffe, Jerry (2009-11-14). "Christian's death helped change game". The Daily Progress. Retrieved 2018-11-24.
- "68 Ed Christian". Auburn Tigers. Retrieved 2012-06-10.
- "As many as seven shot in incident in Auburn that killed two former football players". The Birmingham News. 2012-06-10. Retrieved 2012-06-10.
- "Oklahoma State Freshman Dies". New York Times. 17 September 1985. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- "Heart problem kills Simon Fraser University football hero aged 21". Digital Journal. 12 November 2009. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- "77 Aaron Douglas". Alabama Crimson Tide. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
- "Offensive Lineman Aaron Douglas Passes Away". Alabama Crimson Tide. 2011-05-12. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
- "Heart Attack Cited in Death of Louisiana Tech Running Back Tyrone Duplessis". KSLA.com. 2012-02-13. Retrieved 2013-04-05.
- "University of Kansas fullback Chris Emerson died Friday of..." UPI.com.
- "W&M running back Nate Evans killed in Norfolk Thursday night". dailypress.com.
- "Louisiana-Monroe quarterback Daniel Fitzwater, 20, dies". CBS Sports. 3 October 2015. Retrieved 6 October 2015.
- "Auto Accident Claims Life Of Football Student-Athlete, Three Others Injured". University of Cincinnati. 2013-09-22. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- "Griz football player, Kalispell native, dead after apparent suicide". Montana Standard. 2019-01-22. Retrieved 2019-01-22.
- "Arkansas-Pine Bluff player Lydell Hartford Jr. killed in shooting". USA Today. 2013-07-25. Retrieved 2015-09-20.
- "Officials: Toxic mix of meds killed Hemmila". AZCentral. 2016-09-27. Retrieved 2020-02-06.
- "DEADLY FORCE: The fatal shooting of Danroy Henry". The Patriot Ledger. 2010-10-20. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- "Police: Washington State QB Tyler Hilinski found dead in apparent suicide". ESPN.com.
- "Tulsa's Wilson Holloway Loses Battle with Hodgkins Lymphoma". TU News. 2011-02-17. Archived from the original on 2012-01-19. Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- "Kordero Hunter fatally shot at nightclub". ESPN. Retrieved 2015-09-20.
- "Buffalo football player Solomon Jackson dies week after collapsing". USA Today. 1 March 2016. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "44 - Diondre Johnson". Missouri Southern Athletics. Archived from the original on 2011-12-05. Retrieved 2011-12-02.
- "Two Missouri Southern football players die". 2011-12-02. Retrieved 2011-12-02.
- "Missouri Southern student-athlete killed in car crash". KOAM-TV. Retrieved 2012-12-01.
- Organ, Mike (2012-11-08). "Tenn. State football player collapses at practice, dies". USA Today.
- "Mississippi State's Keith Joseph Jr. killed in auto accident". CBS Sports. 6 November 2015. Retrieved 7 November 2015.
- "Body identified as Kosta Karageorge". ESPN.com.
- "THE WORLD AT LARGE". Chronicling America. Barton County democrat. 25 October 1894. Retrieved 12 February 2018.
- "Colonels defensive lineman Joey Kraemer, 19, dies in car crash". ESPN. 28 September 2015. Retrieved 6 October 2015.
- "UMaine football player killed in motorcycle crash". Bangor Daily News. 11 July 2011. Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- "Family, teammates mourning football star The sudden death of Ricky Lannetti, a Father Judge grad and player at Lycoming, is a mystery". Philly.com. 2003-12-08. Retrieved 2015-09-20.
- "Football Player Killed in Knifing" (PDF). MTSU Sidelines. 10 April 1989. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- "22 - Michael McCrimmins". Missouri Southern Athletics. Archived from the original on 2011-12-19. Retrieved 2011-12-02.
- "Two Missouri Southern football players die". ESPN. 2011-12-02. Retrieved 2011-12-02.
- "Troy Athletics Mourns the Death of Football Student-Athlete Corey McCullers". Troy University Athletics. 20 June 2015. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- "Will McKamey Passes Away at Baltimore Shock Trauma". NavySports.com. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- "Maryland's Jordan McNair Died of Heatstroke According to OL's Family". Bleacherreport.com. Retrieved 11 August 2018.
- "W&J senior's death ruled homicide". d3football.com. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- "Ken McRoyal of Idaho fatally shot". ESPN. 12 May 2012. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "Former Orange County football player Darius Minor died of natural causes". Daily Progress. 4 August 2018. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- "Auburn freshman killed in shooting". ESPN. 15 December 2014. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "Antelope Valley College Football Player Fatally Shot at Party". LA Times. 14 August 2001. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "Central Michigan's Derrick Nash passes away after 2-year cancer battle". Michigan Live. 22 June 2015. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "College football player from Cherokee drowns in N.C." Atlanta Journal-Constitution. 13 May 2014. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- [/https://azdailysun.com/news/autopsy-report-says-nau-football-player-died-of-opioid-overdose/article_260d5526-f14c-5803-8263-85295a4a130e.html "Autopsy report says NAU football player died of opioid overdose"] Check
|url=value (help). Arizona Daily Sun. 3 September 2019. Retrieved 20 May 2020.
- "Players From Indiana, Utah State Die After Collapsing at Football Practice". Los Angeles Times. 15 August 1987. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- "EX-JET'S BROTHER DIES AT AGE 26". New York Daily News. 25 March 2003. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "UAM FOOTBALL PLAYER IDONG OKON PASSES AWAY". University of Arkansas at Monticello Athletics. 6 December 2015. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- Burgess, Brad. "ME's report on O'Neal's death". ShowMeMizzou.com. Retrieved 16 August 2012.
- Wharton, David, The Great Barrier: Kentucky was the first to integrate the SEC, where Croom makes milestone debut this week, Los Angeles Times, September 03, 2004
- University of Kentucky Libraries, Notable Kentucky African-Americans, Greg Page
- "Student dies from injuries in fall at Bates". Portland Press Herald. 6 October 2012. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "UCLA's Nick Pasquale hit by car, dies". ESPN. 2013-09-08. Retrieved 2013-09-21.
- "37 Ladarious Phillips". Auburn Tigers. Retrieved 2012-06-10.
- Gillham, Nicholas (2011). Genes, Chromosomes, and Disease: From Simple Traits, to Complex Traits, to Personalized Medicine. FT Press Science. ISBN 978-0-13-707544-7.
- "Confesses Killing Missing Centenary Football Player". The Lewiston Daily Sun. June 11, 1925.
- "Sports Illustrated's Tim Layden '78 Profiles Mike Reily '64 and the Amazing Saga of Reily's #50 Jersey". Williams Athletics. 2011-11-02. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- "Belhaven football player killed by alleged drunk driver". USA Today. 2014-12-14. Retrieved 2015-10-06.
- "South Carolina State football player killed in campus shooting". CBS Sports. 2014-01-25. Retrieved 2015-10-06.
- "ODU football player killed in car crash in Ga". The Virginian-Pilot. 2008-12-14. Retrieved 2015-09-20.
- "Trying To Stem Tide Of Gloom Alabama Hit Hard By Death Of Tackle". Philadelphia Daily News. 25 August 1986. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- "Arizona Wildcats Face of the Program". ESPN. 2010-06-16. Retrieved 2010-10-17.
- "Portland State freshman linebacker AJ Schlatter dies after complication from throat surgery". OregonLive. 18 January 2016. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- "Deaths and Funerals: George Scruggs III". Tuscaloosca News (via Google News). 28 April 1986. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-05. Retrieved 2015-09-18.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "UCONN Linebacker Alan Shaw Dies". The Hour newspaper (Norwalk, Connecticut). 5 August 1974. Retrieved 28 December 2015 – via Google News Archive.
- "Autopsy blames helmet-to-helmet hit". ESPN. 2011-09-13. Retrieved 2011-09-14.
- "Army's Football Future in Hands of School Head". Chicago Tribune. October 27, 1931.
- "Southern Mississippi Football Player Dies After Collapsing With Leg Cramps". Los Angeles Times. 17 August 1986. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- "$20K reward offered in college football player's shooting death in East Los Angeles". ABC 7 Eye Witness News. 19 November 2015. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- Clay, John, Latest mistake in judgment sparks memory of DUI crash that took Artie Steinmetz, Lexington Herald-Leader, Oct. 28, 2010
- "Mississippi State Player Dies". The New York Times. 1991-10-04.
- "Ex-Bama RB Altee Tenpenny dies in car crash, coroner says". ESPN. 21 October 2015. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- "Penn football player committed suicide". The Philadelphia Inquirer. 2010-04-27. Archived from the original on September 27, 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-17.
- "In memory of Fred Thompson". Oregon State University. 2011-12-08. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- "Oregon State freshman football player Fred Thompson dies". ESPN. 2011-12-08. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- "Minnesota's Gary Tinsley found dead". ESPN. 2012-04-06. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- "Smith: Texas State football player Will Trevillion died of heart condition". 25 February 2016. Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- "Cal CB Bryce Turner dies at 19". ESPN. 9 January 2019. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "NW Mo. State DE Nicholas Turner found dead; no foul play suspected". ESPN. 2 February 2016. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "Pickup driver charged in freshman's death". USA Today. 22 September 2004. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- "#88 Garrett Uekman". ArkansasRazorbacks.com. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- "Arkansas' Uekman dies at hospital". Sports Illustrated. 2011-11-20. Retrieved 2011-11-21.
- "Arkansas TE Garrett Uekman dies". ESPN. 2011-11-20. Retrieved 2015-09-20.
- "In Memory of Jacob Valdiviezo". Lewis & Clark Athletics. 2 April 2013. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "#67 Joseph Villavisencio". Texas A&M Athletics. Retrieved 2011-12-22.
- "Aggie Football Player Joe Villavisencio Killed in Car Crash". Texas A&M Athletics. 2011-12-22. Retrieved 2011-12-22.
- "Coroner: Northwestern State death from heart disease". USA Today. 2004-03-18. Retrieved 2015-09-20.
- "Arkansas Linebacker Found Fatally Shot". LA Times. 14 October 1993. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- "Carroll's Yde-Lane, facing arrest, commits suicide at 18". 5 October 2004. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- "MS10-67 Gilbert Graves Collection: Home". Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- Lindstrom, Theresa Clift and Natasha. "Duquesne University football player dies after falling from 16th floor". TribLIVE.com. Retrieved 2018-10-19.