Chris Smith (defensive end)
Chris Smith (born February 11, 1992) is an American football outside linebacker for the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the fifth round of the 2014 NFL Draft. Smith has also played for the Cincinnati Bengals and Cleveland Browns. He played college football at Arkansas.
Smith with the Bengals in 2017.
|No. 50 – Carolina Panthers|
|Born:||February 11, 1992|
Salisbury, North Carolina
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||266 lb (121 kg)|
|High school:||West Rowan|
(Mount Ulla, North Carolina)
|NFL Draft:||2014 / Round: 5 / Pick: 159|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2019|
As a true freshman in 2010, Smith played in six games, recording three tackles. As a sophomore in 2011, he played in 13 games with three starts. He had 31 tackles and 3.5 sacks. As a junior in 2012, he started all 12 games, recording 52 tackles and 9.5 sacks. As a senior in 2013, he had 37 tackles and 8.5 sacks in 12 games.
|Height||Weight||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yard split||20-yard split||20-yard shuttle||Three-cone drill||Vertical jump||Broad jump||Bench press|
|6 ft 1 in
|34 1⁄8 in
|9 1⁄2 in
|4.71 s||4.46 s||7.55 s||37.0 in
|10 ft 1 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
Smith was selected 159th overall in the fifth round of the 2014 NFL Draft by the Jacksonville Jaguars. The pick that was used to select Smith was acquired in a trade that sent Eugene Monroe to the Baltimore Ravens.
He was released by the Jaguars on September 13, 2014. Two days later, he was then signed to their practice squad. He was promoted to the active roster on October 20.
On April 11, 2017, the Jaguars traded Smith to the Cincinnati Bengals in exchange for a 2018 conditional draft pick. Smith was brought in to help a Bengals defense that finished 19th in the league in sacks the previous season. He played in all 16 games, recording a career-high 26 tackles and three sacks.
On March 14, 2018, Smith signed a three-year contract with the Cleveland Browns. He played in 16 games with two starts, recording 21 combined tackles, one sack, two passes defensed, and a forced fumble.
On December 3, 2019, Smith was waived by the Browns. He played in nine games, recording just one tackle.
On September 11, 2019, Petara Cordero, Smith's girlfriend and the mother of one of his three children, was killed after being struck by a passing car after exiting Smith's car, which had become disabled after hitting a median.
- "2013 All-SEC Football Team Announced". SEC Digital Network. December 10, 2013.
- "Chris Smith Combine Profile". NFL.com. Retrieved September 16, 2019.
- Sessler, Marc (April 11, 2017). "Jaguars trade pass-rusher Chris Smith to Bengals". NFL.com.
- Gribble, Andrew (March 15, 2018). "Browns add experience, talent all across roster with 7 free agent signings". ClevelandBrowns.com.
- Williams, Charean (March 13, 2018). "Report: Browns agree to terms with Chris Smith". ProFootballTalk.NBCSports.com.
- "Browns sign DT Justin Zimmer, make other roster moves". ClevelandBrowns.com. December 3, 2019.
- Henson, Max (March 5, 2020). "Panthers sign DE Chris Smith to one-year deal". Panthers.com.
- Jake Trotter (September 11, 2019). "Girlfriend of Browns' Smith killed in accident". ESPN.com. Retrieved September 11, 2019.
- Allen Kim (September 17, 2019). "Browns defensive end Chris Smith played a week after his girlfriend was killed in a car accident". CNN.com. Retrieved September 17, 2019.