Northwestern State Demons football
The Northwestern State Demons football program is the intercollegiate American football team for Northwestern State University located in the U.S. state of Louisiana. The team competes in the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) and are members of the Southland Conference. Northwestern State's first football team was fielded in 1907. The team plays its home games at the 15,971 seat Harry Turpin Stadium in Natchitoches, Louisiana.
|Northwestern State Demons|
|Athletic director||Greg Burke|
|Head coach||Brad Laird|
1st season, 5–6 (.455)
|Stadium||Harry Turpin Stadium|
|NCAA division||Division I FCS|
|All-time record||631–398–40 (.609)|
|Rivalries||McNeese State (rivalry)|
Southeastern Louisiana (rivalry)
|Colors||Purple, White, and Orange trim|
|Fight song||Northwestern Fight|
|Mascot||Vic the Demon|
|Marching band||Spirit of Northwestern|
- Independent (1907–1913)
- Louisiana Intercollegiate Athletic Association (1914–1925)
- Independent (1926–1927)
- SIAA (1928–1941)
- Louisiana Intercollegiate Conference (1942–1947)
- Gulf States Conference (1948–1970)
- Independent (1971)
- Gulf South Conference (1972–1974)
- Division II Independent (1975)
- Independent (1976–1977)
- Division I-AA Independent (1978–1983)
- Gulf Star Conference (1984–1986)
- Southland Conference (1987–present)
Northwestern State has 12 conference championships.
|Year||Conference||Coach||Overall Record||Conference Record|
|1939||Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association||Harry Turpin||11–0–0||N/A|
|1953†||Gulf States Conference||6–2–0|
|1962||Gulf States Conference||7–2–1|
|1984†||Gulf Star Conference||Sam Goodwin||7–4–0|
|2004†||Southland Conference||Scott Stoker||8–4||4–1|
Division I-AA/FCS Playoffs resultsEdit
The Demons have appeared in the I-AA/FCS playoffs six times with an overall record of 3–6.
|1997||First Round||Eastern Washington||L 10–40|
|2001||First Round||Montana||L 19–28|
McNeese State leads the series 45–22–1 through the 2018 season.
Northwestern State leads the series with Nicholls 28–18 through the 2018 season.
Southeastern Louisiana leads the series 28–22 through the 2018 season.
In the 1992 edition of the rivalry game, the teams' mascots Vic the Demon and Chief Brave Spirit got involved in a fight that distracted television cameras to the point that the entire altercation is caught on video. In the scuffle, Vic the Demon's head is ripped off as the two crashed to the ground behind one of the end zones, which according to the video clip breaks a "cardinal rule" of being a mascot. The melee was broken up by college police without further incident. The game was last played in 2005. Northwestern State leads the series with Louisiana–Monroe 28–19–1.
Notable former playersEdit
Notable alumni include:
- Demetress Bell - Buffalo Bills and Philadelphia Eagles
- Mark Duper – Miami Dolphins
- Adrian Hardy – San Francisco 49ers and Cincinnati Bengals
- Jamall Johnson – Hamilton Tiger Cats
- Jermaine Jones - New York Jets, Chicago Bears, Dallas Cowboys
- Joe Delaney – Inductee of College Football Hall of Fame - Kansas City Chiefs
- Al Edwards - Buffalo Bills
- Mike Green - Chicago Bears, Seattle Seahawks, Washington Redskins
- Adrian Hardy - San Francisco 49ers and Cincinnati Bengals
- Bobby Hebert – New Orleans Saints and Atlanta Falcons
- Jamall Johnson - BC Lions and Hamilton Tiger Cats
- Jeremy Lane – Seattle Seahawks
- Monte Ledbetter – Houston Oilers, Buffalo Bills, Atlanta Falcons
- Terrence McGee - Buffalo Bills
- Craig Nall - Green Bay Packers, Buffalo Bills, Houston Texans
- Ed Orgeron – LSU Tigers Head Coach
- Petey Perot - Philadelphia Eagles and New Orleans Saints
- David Pittman - Baltimore Ravens
- T-Dre Player – BC Lions
- Gary Reasons – Inductee of College Football Hall of Fame - New York Giants and Cincinnati Bengals
- Deon Simon - New York Jets
- Jackie Smith - Inductee of Pro Football Hall of Fame - St. Louis Cardinals and Dallas Cowboys
- Marcus Spears - Chicago Bears, Kansas City Chiefs, Houston Texans
- John Stephens – New England Patriots
- Keith Thibodeaux - Washington Redskins, Minnesota Vikings, Green Bay Packers
- Sidney Thornton - Pittsburgh Steelers
- Charlie Tolar - Houston Oilers
- Floyd Turner - New Orleans Saints, Indianapolis Colts, Baltimore Ravens
- Odessa Turner - New York Giants and San Francisco 49ers
- Kenny Wright - Minnesota Vikings, Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars, Washington Redskins
Future non-conference opponentsEdit
- 2017 Northwestern State Demons Baseball Media Guide (PDF). Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- Fight song
- Spirit of Northwestern
- "Northwestern State Historical Data". College Football Data Warehouse. Archived from the original on 2014-02-22. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- "A history of bizarre mascot incidents". CNN.
- "Northwestern State Demons Football Schedules and Future Schedules". fbschedules.com. Retrieved 2018-10-08.