Western Carolina Catamounts football
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Western Carolina Catamounts football program is the intercollegiate American football team for the Western Carolina University located in the U.S. state of North Carolina. The team competes in the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) and are members of the Southern Conference. The school's first football team was fielded in 1931. The team plays its home games at the 13,742 seat Bob Waters Field at E. J. Whitmire Stadium. They are coached by Mark Speir.
|Western Carolina Catamounts football|
|Athletic director||Randy Eaton|
|Head coach||Mark Speir|
7th season, 29–51 (.363)
|Stadium||E. J. Whitmire Stadium|
|Field||Bob Waters Field|
|Location||Cullowhee, North Carolina|
|NCAA division||Division I FCS|
|All-time record||307–435–23 (.416)|
|Bowl record||0–1–0 (.000)|
|Colors||Purple and Gold|
|Fight song||Fight On You Catamounts|
|Marching band||Western Carolina University Pride of the Mountains Marching Band|
- 1973–1976: NCAA Division III
- 1977: NCAA Division I
- 1978–1981: NCAA Division I–A
- 1982–present: NCAA Division I–AA
- 1931–1932: Independent
- 1933–1960: North State Conference
- 1961–1967: Conference Carolinas
- 1968–1972: Independent
- 1973–1976: NCAA Division II Independent
- 1977–present: Southern Conference
Notable former playersEdit
Notable alumni include:
- Western Carolina University Athletic Guidelines (PDF). October 1, 2014. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- "Catamount Grid, Cage Schedules Are Announced". Asheville Citizen-Times. Asheville, North Carolina. June 26, 1934. Retrieved March 26, 2017 – via newspapers.com.
- "SMOKY MOUNTAIN". The Palm Beach Post. AP. November 30, 1936. Retrieved March 26, 2017 – via newspapers.com.